Sponsored

Manual GT - Thud when shifting

TonyN

SLO 5L
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT/PP
Hey, I have had my GT-PP for about a week now. Put about 250 miles on it. Intermittently I have a thud when putting it in 1st and when shifting from 1st - 4th (in between shifts). It is a minor annoyance. Wondering if anyone else has experienced this noise? Seems to be coming from the trans itself, a bushing or driveline slop perhaps.

I was going to put some more miles on it to see if it clear up. If not I will take it in to get this noise at least documented.

Other than this and the horrible wheel hop, the car has been flawless so far.

Thanks for any insight.
Sponsored

PonyGrrrl

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeanne
Vehicle(s)
16 Cadillac ATS V Coupe
OP
OP
TonyN

TonyN

SLO 5L
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT/PP
Well, after looking through the 4 pages in this issues forum and not seeing anything, I decided to make a post. Didn't think to look there.

Clearly, I am not the only one.

Thanks for info!

OppoLock

RWD Addict
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT, '20 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
This is a good thread to skim over too:

http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16085

I've got the issue along with a whole lot of other people, and apparently this has been a thing with the MT-82 with the S197s. My thuds have decreased in frequency as the miles rack up. Much better at the 1300 mile mark now, and really only a problem when the car's warming up.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
FWIW, the V6 rental I had last week had ~4000 miles on it and while the thud was there, it was very, very quiet. I was having to pay attention to it to really notice it.

Sponsored

OP
OP
TonyN

TonyN

SLO 5L
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT/PP
Good to know. Thanks for the heads up. I am coming from the Tremec 3650 in my 07 and 02 GT's and never had this with them. Even with my 07 pushing over 500rwhp for 6 years. Surprisingly the 3650 held up well. The MT-82 is not my preferred manual. Had to deal with a lot of the clutch issues with them in the S197. However, I never noticed the "thud", but they all had some miles on them.

Here's to hoping the thump resolves with some miles.

POOPonYOU

I Do Stupid Well
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race Red GT Premium
My 2015 GT is my first mustang and damn all these issues are getting annoying. I've felt that thud in what feels like the rear end of the car when I shift. It's not always there but when it is, it's very annoying.

TeddysStang

1st time Stang owner
Threads
Reaction score
Website
CarolinaCarConnections.info
First Name
Teddy
Vehicle(s)
2015 DIB Premium GT - 20" wheels
Yeah, I hear it as well, but it's seems to happen when I am pushing in the clutch, especially speed shifting. Not as bad when I shift slowly. Not too annoying, but this car isn't my DD so I guess it's not bothering me too much. As long as the car doesn't have a mechanical issue and drivetrain failures, I'll deal with it.

Ehdrian

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
Black 2015 Mustang GT PP
I think I know what you are all talking about, and I've had this "thud" on all 4 of the Mustangs I've owned. I think this is the nature of the RWD beast. A combination of play in the drivetrain/u-joints/rear-end backlash can cause this. These are noises you don't get from a FWD car, because you're connected directly to the transaxel. Probably not music to your ears, but to be honest, I don't think there is anything wrong.
Sponsored