Magneride Clunks or Rattles?

TicTocTach

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Clair
Vehicle(s)
2018 EBPP
2018 Ecoboost PP Premium with Magneride - Have 25K miles on the car now and it has been a treat to drive. I really only noticed this when I started taking #2 Son to his new school. The drop off area has a transition from the driveway to the street where I notice a clunk that sounds like some slack in the damper. I almost always hear the clunk at that location, but only occasionally hear it anywhere else. If it was an old school shock absorber, it would sound like on of the mounting bolts was loose, but I haven't touched the shocks/struts on this car. Yet. Will be installing new springs over the holidays but I can put that on hold if there is a bigger issue to deal with first.

I haven't seen any threads on MR problems, so just checking to see if anyone else out there has heard of anything like this, or is aware of any TSB's / recalls on the same.
Sponsored

CBK509

CBK509
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
2018 Ecoboost PP Premium with Magneride - Have 25K miles on the car now and it has been a treat to drive. I really only noticed this when I started taking #2 Son to his new school. The drop off area has a transition from the driveway to the street where I notice a clunk that sounds like some slack in the damper. I almost always hear the clunk at that location, but only occasionally hear it anywhere else. If it was an old school shock absorber, it would sound like on of the mounting bolts was loose, but I haven't touched the shocks/struts on this car. Yet. Will be installing new springs over the holidays but I can put that on hold if there is a bigger issue to deal with first.

I haven't seen any threads on MR problems, so just checking to see if anyone else out there has heard of anything like this, or is aware of any TSB's / recalls on the same.
I have the same noise. 2018 GT without MR. 49K miles. Not sure what it is yet.

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10speed Aluminator Whippled
Non-magneride here too, but I had a pop or clunk sound from the front of my 2018 when it was nearly new, it was the front strut bearing plates

OP
OP
TicTocTach

TicTocTach

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Clair
Vehicle(s)
2018 EBPP
Non-magneride here too, but I had a pop or clunk sound from the front of my 2018 when it was nearly new, it was the front strut bearing plates
Interesting - I was thinking about this thread yesterday and was going to give it a bump. Also interesting that I also just replaced the springs F/R with GT350R pieces, and added camber plates at the same time. The clunk seems gone - or at least greatly reduced. That may be related to the bearing plate, although the bearing itself was retained to use with the new camber plates.

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
Typically sway bar links is the first thing that gets loose and clunks - which could have been the case since you were taking struts out - the link mounts to the bar / strut but also the nuts on the link itself (if it's adjustable) get loose as well - I always put blue loctite on them.

Sponsored

OP
OP
TicTocTach

TicTocTach

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Clair
Vehicle(s)
2018 EBPP
Typically sway bar links is the first thing that gets loose and clunks - which could have been the case since you were taking struts out - the link mounts to the bar / strut but also the nuts on the link itself (if it's adjustable) get loose as well - I always put blue loctite on them.
My initial clunk was prior to the spring project, and I had only removed / replaced the wheel bearings and calipers at that time. Everything was still tight when I did the springs, and new fasteners were used both times.

I’m installing PP2 sway bars this weekend and will check the end links again.

On the drive this morning, I could still hear some of the clunk, but it is reduced from what it was before the spring & plate install. When I did that job, the strut bearings felt smooth and tight, but I probably should have replaced them like a throw out bearing... easy while you’re in there. I’ll keep an ear on it and see if anything else pops up.

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
I’m installing PP2 sway bars this weekend and will check the end links again.
If you have caliper handy - would you mind measuring diameters of both bars ? I don't if I have seen those measured / posted anywhere.

OP
OP
TicTocTach

TicTocTach

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Clair
Vehicle(s)
2018 EBPP
If you have caliper handy - would you mind measuring diameters of both bars ? I don't if I have seen those measured / posted anywhere.
Here you go...

023CAD3D-9F75-489C-88D8-BDFFBB96ED8F.jpeg

2CC39D18-1BEE-41C2-A38E-0DCE8E040E1C.jpeg

Reactions: kz
OP
OP
TicTocTach

TicTocTach

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Clair
Vehicle(s)
2018 EBPP
Thanks ! Didn't have to measure even.
These have weirdly thick paint for some reason, but the OD agrees with the tags.
Sponsored