N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Slopoke has a boosted 12:1 motor on crappy California gas, you’re an NA 11:1 with access to >91 I think. You guys both have good points for your own cars.
Thank you Sir. I use very sweet pump 94. For race days I use MS109.
Sponsored

Chris Barnes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500
I've been running 16 oz of Boostane Professional per full tank of crap Arizona 91 octane for approximately 12,000 miles. I changed the plugs after about 8,000 miles and they were orange, but looked fine. There was no discernible difference in performance after the plug change which leads me to believe you can likely go 10,000 miles plus which is my current plan. I ran the car for the first 5,000 miles or so with the OEM cats, but then switched to a cat deletes to be safe. I've also used Torco on past vehicles with good results, but I really like that Boostane actually gives you a mixing chart so you know what ratios you need to use to achieve a specific octane. One other thing to note is that it seems like the Boostane additive does slightly increase the stinky smell even beyond that with no cats.

OP
OP
evotriox88

evotriox88

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium Pack W/Brembos
Yeah I’ve got no cats, both Torco and Octanium give it that jet fuel like smell.

Jackson1320

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaxson
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
btw Ford must have made some concessions to the aftermarket and supercharging in engine design. They didn’t ditch PI entirely on the gen3 even though they don’t use it at all in their EB motors...and the cooling passage reconfiguration in the gen3 block only matters at massive power levels if I understand that correctly.
The The port injection was kept because without it they have a big problem with carbon buildup so it’s used to keep the intake runner clean.
What cooling passage reconfigure? I know they changed the deck.

Meatball

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT
The The port injection was kept because without it they have a big problem with carbon buildup so it’s used to keep the intake runner clean.
What cooling passage reconfigure? I know they changed the deck.
Having PI with DI is definitely better for reducing carbon buildup, but it’s not used in any of their ecoboost engines. I assume it’s to allow easier FI integration with larger port injectors. I could be wrong.

“Cooling passage reconfigure” = my poor way of saying what you are saying, I think.

Sponsored

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
.... The learning takes place within pre-set “safe” load and rpm windows, but is applied pretty much across the board. This limits the knock events in both frequency and severity but also takes advantage of higher octane.
@Meatball I got curious and looked it up. The stock gen3 octane learning takes place between 1500 and 4000 rpm and between .4 and .8 load.

Meatball

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT
@Meatball I got curious and looked it up. The stock gen3 octane learning takes place between 1500 and 4000 rpm and between .4 and .8 load.
Interesting. I’m not positive Whipple’s baseline is super accurate, but When on straight (Cali) 91 with “Octane Adjust” off, I’d see positive KR. Controlled, but positive. OA on and I’d be in negative KR. So if I understand you correctly, it seems the baseline timing is closeish to the knock threshold on that gas under those conditions. The OA on seems to apply the less aggressive timing even with “Torque reduction” activated and at -25% (=, in part, the throttle never fully opening). The difference in wot timing with OA on vs off seems to be about 3 degrees.

the “Octane Adjust” control in their tune was also in the supplied tune when I had PP3.

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
...So if I understand you correctly, it seems the baseline timing is closeish to the knock threshold on that gas under those conditions...
I’m assuming yours is a gen2? I don’t know how close the gen2 borderline tables are to accurate, but the gen3 tables were off by as much as 10 deg in some places.

Meatball

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT
I’m assuming yours is a gen2? I don’t know how close the gen2 borderline tables are to accurate, but the gen3 tables were off by as much as 10 deg in some places.
Mine’s a gen2.

Wow, that’s surprising. I know W and Roush have (or had) a genuine expert Ford calibrator make their calibrations. I’m kind of shocked it was that far off. I would assume it was off on the conservative side but I know there were issues early on with the 12:1 motors, but I hear those are now resolved.

is it trickier to get the timing tables right FI for higher compression? Years ago I would have thought it’s nuts to go 10+ psi on an 11:1 or 12:1 motor on pump gas...

Sponsored

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
I know W and Roush have (or had) a genuine expert Ford calibrator make their calibrations. I’m kind of shocked it was that far off. I would assume it was off on the conservative side but I know there were issues early on with the 12:1 motors, but I hear those are now resolved.
The following is complete supposition on my part, so take it for what it’s worth. I believe you are correct that professional calibration engineers build the base calibration file for Roush and Whipple. I don’t think the same person did both, as they are completely different in how they are structured. However, the Roush cal has a lot of similarities to the Predator cal so I believe the same person worked on both, or at least guided both. Now, understand that Ford uses a computer simulation to establish the initial borderline knock, MBT, torque, speed density, and other tables at all the possible mapped points. Ford then puts engines on a bank of dyno’s and runs them through a matrix of operating conditions to adjust and correct all of these tables. This is likely an automated process. This is where Roush and Whipple just can not economically justify the cost of fine tuning these tables.

From what I’ve seen, the borderline knock tables were all on the conservative side of knock, and would typically max out knock advance at part throttle before reaching knock. I’ve found a lot of part-throttle response, torque, and efficiency improvements because after calibrating these tables I get closer to borderline quicker than waiting on the knock advance to catch up (again, OAR is defaulted “off” on most gen3 sc cals).

is it trickier to get the timing tables right FI for higher compression? Years ago I would have thought it’s nuts to go 10+ psi on an 11:1 or 12:1 motor on pump gas...
I agree with you regarding compression ratio; remember when the 1993 LT1 came out at 10.25/1 and we all thought it was the end of forced induction? I’m not sure I would say it’s trickier, as the concept is still the same. The sensing and controls have advanced light-years since then so we have a lot more data to work with and can change timing as a function of coolant temp, air temp, load, cam timing, etc...which makes it safer. The factory wide-bands, 2-4 knock sensors, and fast processor speeds help as well.

Meatball

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT
The following is complete supposition on my part, so take it for what it’s worth. I believe you are correct that professional calibration engineers build the base calibration file for Roush and Whipple. I don’t think the same person did both, as they are completely different in how they are structured. However, the Roush cal has a lot of similarities to the Predator cal so I believe the same person worked on both, or at least guided both. Now, understand that Ford uses a computer simulation to establish the initial borderline knock, MBT, torque, speed density, and other tables at all the possible mapped points. Ford then puts engines on a bank of dyno’s and runs them through a matrix of operating conditions to adjust and correct all of these tables. This is likely an automated process. This is where Roush and Whipple just can not economically justify the cost of fine tuning these tables.

From what I’ve seen, the borderline knock tables were all on the conservative side of knock, and would typically max out knock advance at part throttle before reaching knock. I’ve found a lot of part-throttle response, torque, and efficiency improvements because after calibrating these tables I get closer to borderline quicker than waiting on the knock advance to catch up (again, OAR is defaulted “off” on most gen3 sc cals).

I agree with you regarding compression ratio; remember when the 1993 LT1 came out at 10.25/1 and we all thought it was the end of forced induction? I’m not sure I would say it’s trickier, as the concept is still the same. The sensing and controls have advanced light-years since then so we have a lot more data to work with and can change timing as a function of coolant temp, air temp, load, cam timing, etc...which makes it safer. The factory wide-bands, 2-4 knock sensors, and fast processor speeds help as well.
Makes sense. Explains why Ford can release an awesomely powerful car like the 2020 GT500 and not go bankrupt under warranty claims, and why Roush uses a very conservative tune for their warrantied setup.

I assume for your own car you're on E85 or use more conservative tables when you aren't sure of the quality of fuel you've just put in.

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
Makes sense. Explains why Ford can release an awesomely powerful car like the 2020 GT500 and not go bankrupt under warranty claims, and why Roush uses a very conservative tune for their warrantied setup.
What I was referring to was actually more about how the mapped points are structured. They both have a limited number of mapped points and only command cam timing on a mapped point or a snap line. They even follow the same pattern at part throttle. Again, pure supposition on my part, so take it as such.

I assume for your own car you're on E85 or use more conservative tables when you aren't sure of the quality of fuel you've just put in.
I’m tuning on 93 and have logged every tank since I started. I might eventually try to get the oar to work as an added layer of safety.

5had0w

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2016 GTPP M6
Sick as hell first of all! Looks amazing bet it sounds amazing as well. Secondly it’s imo but that’s wayyy too much power for 91 octane to stay at consistently and safely. Yes it can be done but should it?

DougS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium A10 PP1 Whipple Stage 2
Just wanted to share some dyno data. I have a Whipple Gen 4 Stage 2, 3.75 pulley, BBK headers w/ racing midpipe, MBRP exhaust. I made 702 whp with Whipple tune with headers. Made 740whp after dynotune. Very happy with the Whipple.

11E0F0C3-3F96-418C-B766-987FB9E97178.jpeg

E310EB27-AA6A-4501-836B-53DF4E069690.jpeg
Those are great numbers for 91. Have
Sponsored