Sponsored

MACH 1

Dmustang82

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue
I have always loved the Mustang. Hands down favorite car. In the late 90s, I bought a 65 mustang with my dad when I was in high school in Arizona.
I eventually ended up in WI and long story short, sold the Mustang. I have been contemplating a new Mustang and after reading about how snow tires perform on a RWD car, I think I can get a Mustang in Wisconsin.

I test drove an eco boost and loved it but I envision I would at least get a GT. I only have a 2 mile commute in a downtown environment and the car will be in and out of parking garages, etc. I am a little concerned about the car getting dinged up. And although it would be minimal, the car would be exposed to some snow and salt. That makes me want to get a cheaper V6.

Iā€™m really intrigued by the Mach 1, but I am curious if all that extra track ready stuff is just a complete waste for me? Iā€™d be interested in what peopleā€™s thoughts are on having a high performance car that rarely will be used to go above 60 mph (I envision weekend drives just because it is fun to drive, my wife and I rarely leave downtown). Will I end up having mechanical issues?

I've thought about just getting the V6 because my daily drive is literally 25 mph for 2 miles, but I donā€™t know if Iā€™d have regrets.

Love to get feedback for people that have various models.
Sponsored

Kleiss1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 6- speed
Lots of cool roads near you to let her run. I used to live in Dousman. Go with the GT.

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
Welcome to M6G :)

If you're buying brand new, the V6 won't be an option as it was dropped from the line-up when the '18MY was introduced.

Would the Mach 1 with it's additional coolers be overkill for your intended purpose? Not really, it's still first and foremost a road car, it just happens to be very track capable. The Mach 1 is more of a heart over head purchase. The Mach 1 also trades on its heritage, probably the main reason I love it.

A used or new GT will more than meet your needs...........a Mach 1 will just exceed them even more.

Whatever you choose, enjoy :)

Interceptor

Daily Driver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 California Special A10
MAcH1 great car for talking about and having the snuff, yes overkill for 2 mile commute, resale will drop like a rock with door dings salt tracks.
Most expensive Mustang.

GT 301A package, best value GT

Eco-boost great commuter car and just as quick on city streets as a GT, go all out and get the HP option.

Biggus Dickus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
G
Vehicle(s)
Focus RS, Mustang GT, MME GTPE
Get a "base" Mach 1 w/ 6M (without the track-pack stuff, but still get the Bullitt motor and Tremec) and get a beater for bad weather. I know it's your money, but I'm happy to tell you how to spend it.

Sponsored

SVTchris

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
1993 SVT Mustang Cobra, 2004 SVT F-150 Lightning, 2019 Mustang Bullitt
Whatever you decide, given the roads in Wisconsin/Milwaukee, make sure you get the MagneRide suspension. You won't regret it. :like:

13GetThere

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lynn
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium PP2 Magnet Grey
Being a little more practical, if your getting new, get the ecoboost, if used will do, then a GT will be a good choice, but a Mach1 is not a good choice for your described driving.

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
but still get the Bullitt motor and Tremec
That "Bullitt" motor is just a GT350 intake manifold, throttle body and CAI eg. a performance pack 3. The Tremec is different and much better I agree.

Honestly, you don't need the Mach for what you do. Obviously I can't spend your money, and if you want the name and the looks get it. But a GT will do you much better and you can save $20,000.

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
Balls to being practical - just get a 500 ... :shock: :sunglasses:

Joking aside - Iā€™m sure there are some, but I donā€™t think most mustang buyers have ā€˜practicalā€™ particularly high on their agenda :like:

Even if you can justify to yourself that a mustang is practical, Iā€™m yet to hear a good practical argument for getting a big power adder - but there are hell of a lot of posts on this site about them / about people wanting them / about people doing supporting mods in preparation for them :wink:

However far you can climb the mustang ladder, if finances allow and the heart says yes, then why not ? :like:

WD :like:

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Make sure to drive one before even considering it. Unless you and your SO enjoy a hard ride all the time, that's what a PP2 Mach1 would give you, plus with zero discounts (and possibly ADM), so not a good value at all, at least initially. I drew the line with a PP1, which has the perfect balance between sporty, and streetable IMO. It's still a bit stiff in normal mode IMO, but tolerable. And yes, that's with Magneride. And very capable in the twisties, especially if you add sub-frame braces front and back, like many of us have done. That's all I did for the suspension. Good luck with your choice :).

Sponsored

DogNPony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Royal Crimson, 2019 Bolt EV LT
Allow me to throw some rain on your parade.
Consider the fact that in Wisconsin rural interstates are ranked 44th in the nation for pavement quality, rural non-interstate highways 43rd, urban interstates 35th and urban non-interstates 43rd. You'd have to be really committed to performance driving to suffer the punishment. Also, a 2-mile commute will never allow the engine to warm up. Fuel economy will be terrible.
Of course, I knew all of this and bought a GT anyway.

OP
OP
Dmustang82

Dmustang82

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue
Iā€™m leaning towards the GT, I think Iā€™d have regrets with the eco boost. Mach 1 is overkill. In hindsight shouldā€™ve just kept the ā€˜65. I miss owning a mustang!

69830B78-4CF4-4DD1-B2B2-8FE8E6646791.jpeg

Dan243

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
Buy the Mach 1 and enjoy the Beaty and power. Load it up with every option it has. I have had my 2018 GT for 3 driving seasons now and I hit 1900 miles on it before putting it away for the winter. I only drive it on perfect days and as you can see there arenā€™t many perfect days in Pennsylvania. The mustang has never seen rain or even a mud puddle. I have other vehicles for not so perfect days. If I had 365 perfect days a year I would drive it every day. Out of any vehicle I have ever owned this is the most exciting 1900 miles I have driven.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
I have always loved the Mustang. Hands down favorite car. In the late 90s, I bought a 65 mustang with my dad when I was in high school in Arizona.
I eventually ended up in WI and long story short, sold the Mustang. I have been contemplating a new Mustang and after reading about how snow tires perform on a RWD car, I think I can get a Mustang in Wisconsin.

I test drove an eco boost and loved it but I envision I would at least get a GT. I only have a 2 mile commute in a downtown environment and the car will be in and out of parking garages, etc. I am a little concerned about the car getting dinged up. And although it would be minimal, the car would be exposed to some snow and salt. That makes me want to get a cheaper V6.

Iā€™m really intrigued by the Mach 1, but I am curious if all that extra track ready stuff is just a complete waste for me? Iā€™d be interested in what peopleā€™s thoughts are on having a high performance car that rarely will be used to go above 60 mph (I envision weekend drives just because it is fun to drive, my wife and I rarely leave downtown). Will I end up having mechanical issues?

I've thought about just getting the V6 because my daily drive is literally 25 mph for 2 miles, but I donā€™t know if Iā€™d have regrets.

Love to get feedback for people that have various models.
What V6?

Anyways, forget a Mach1. Just get a PP1 GT with Magneride and Active Exhaust.

That way you have some good performance, and also comfort and quiet when you want it.
Sponsored