Sponsored

Mach 1 drivetrain or gearbox clunk (10R80)

Mike1505

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang Mach 1 2022 (Fighter Jet Gray)
Hi all,

Since around 4000 miles on the odometer there is a noticeable clunk when shifting from drive to reverse and vice vera (with a small delay), as well as when accelerating after decelerating. The clunk can be heard and felt inside of the car and it's feeling quite bad especially when downshifting with the paddles (The initial downshift).

I also drove the car up a hill and stopped, instead of putting the car in reverse I put it in neutral and let it roll backwards, then I heard the clunking sound again when releasing the brake.

Car is at the dealership now and they say everything is ok and it's normal drivetrain behavior.
The car was all ok before and I feel like they don't want to fix the issue under warranty.
Attached a clip where you can hear the sound while driving (I release the gas pedal and the noise can be heard).

I really enjoyed driving this car but now with the clunks and jerkiness it gives, I'm not really enjoying the car anymore.
Anyone got any advice on the issue?

Sponsored

Last edited:

mejohn50

Intergalactic Snail
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mitch
Vehicle(s)
slow junk
There is a TSB for Expeditions and Navigators that my dealer did to my car for the same issue. There’s a bearing or something in the tail shaft housing causing the noise. When I took my 2019 GT in for the noise it took them a few tries and they finally had to call the Ford engineers for a solution, who pointed them to the TSB.

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/10r80-clunk-noise.164619/

OP
OP
Mike1505

Mike1505

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Great in the United States they do see a lot of Mustangs, here in Spain they are not so common. A Ford engineer came by on Friday and said it's all normal and I can come and pick up the car now.
It would be great if you can check your repair order, hopefully I can convince them there is something wrong and point them in the right direction.

mejohn50

Intergalactic Snail
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mitch
Vehicle(s)
slow junk
Great in the United States they do see a lot of Mustangs, here in Spain they are not so common. A Ford engineer came by on Friday and said it's all normal and I can come and pick up the car now.
It would be great if you can check your repair order, hopefully I can convince them there is something wrong and point them in the right direction.
I updated my original post with the details. Hope it helps.

OP
OP
Mike1505

Mike1505

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
They don't want to do anything here... Look at the reply of Ford:

"Thank you for contacting to the Customer Service in Ford Spain.

First of all we apologize for the late answer to the email, but the overage time to treat each case is from 48-72 hours, I am sorry that we gave you another expectation.

We have tried to call you this morning to explain what the garage Romacar has informed us but we haven´t locate you.

We appreciate all the information you have provided us, about the Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) that was issued for Ford Expeditions and Navigators.

We have translate it to the garage manager but he has explained us that this solution is not valid for the Mach 1 vehicule, and besides, as it is not a Spanish Market Bulletin from Ford, they couldn´t apply for your case.

Anyway, they relief us saying the jerk you notice when shifting from drive to reverse and vice versa, as well as when accelerating after decelerating or accelerating after decelerating you notice in your vehicule, is totally common in this model. They have other Mach 1 in exposition and the garage manager tries them and the noise setting up and changing the drives, is the same.
The engineer also has visited your car, and has delimited, it is a common jerk because of the power.

To sum up, we collect all the interesting information that you have provided us and this will be registered from the Ford database, if the brand can study an improvement in the future. But nowadays, it is not considered a repair need for your vehicle.

We hope we have helped you in the exchange with the garage communication and we keep at your disposal for any other future doubt you could have in the next contact +34 900 80 70 90. Option 2.1,

Best regards"

Sponsored

mejohn50

Intergalactic Snail
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mitch
Vehicle(s)
slow junk
My first thought is to go to the dealer and ask to hear the other Mach 1s that sound the same.

OP
OP
Mike1505

Mike1505

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Yes I know it’s not the same! Because the car didn’t do this before. Especially with hard deceleration with the paddle shifters you really can feel the jerk in de drivetrain. Also that they say it’s because of the power is complete BS. When you let it roll backwards you can hear it as well…

Thinking about asking another non Ford dealer for a second opinion on the car. If they find something Ford will pay for the second opinion.
Would like to bring the car to Motorsport and Performance in the UK. Those guys know what they are doing with these cars. But quite a trip from here. Might as well bring it there and get a Torsen differential installed. And let them figure out what’s wrong.

luca1290

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Luca
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Mercedes A250 4Matic (W177)
The thing here, you just have to hoist the car in the air and apply a little bit of grease. It will take considerably less time for them to just do it instead on bickering with you. Or do if yourself if you are able to.

Otherwise, bring the car to a 3rd party mechanic, let him apply the grease. It's really not rocket science, no special tools needed, just go to the parts department of your dealer and order the 4 one-use bolts (which I suspect you can happily reuse but we want to do this one by the book).

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
Would like to bring the car to Motorsport and Performance in the UK. Those guys know what they are doing with these cars. But quite a trip from here. Might as well bring it there and get a Torsen differential installed. And let them figure out what’s wrong.
I can’t help you with your problem sorry, but just a couple of random thoughts from me :

It might appear obvious (but it could have been overlooked whilst focus was elsewhere), but as the noise is new, are you sure nothing mechanical has broken ? (I broke a diff bolt on a standard car).

You mention about getting a Torsen put in. I’m not against that, but if you have any hope of a Ford based resolution left, this will kill it.

I know our stateside friends will say the Torsen is indistinguishable with a visual inspection, but they don’t have the black crap euro underseal that will reveal any bolt head that’s been disturbed. If / when Ford see that the diff has been messed with, they will wash their hands completely of any drivetrain related noises - you will give them the perfect excuse …

Whichever way you go with this, I hope it works out for you :like:

WD :like:
Sponsored