Sponsored

Mikepol2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2019 Ram 1500
Just emailed back and forth with Lund, asked if they could do a lower E tune like E70 or something to avoid having to do science experiments at the pump, with the understanding it might not make quite as much power, and hopefully to make it run more smoothly at startup. After 4 or 5 emails where they didn’t answer the question, they finally said get a flex tune. I get the feeling they don’t want to really do a custom tune and are happy just sending out the two tunes they already have established. Emailed Shaun at AED and asked the same thing. He said it will always run rough if its cold but didn’t answer the E70 tune question. Emailed PBD and Steeda but haven’t heard back from either of them. The whole thing is kind of turning me off. Black Bear Performance did a custom tune for my Silverado and the process was much better... asked what I was looking for with the tune, did a few datalogs and tweaks, responded to emails.

AZ18yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Prem PP Magnetic
Just emailed back and forth with Lund, asked if they could do a lower E tune like E70 or something to avoid having to do science experiments at the pump, with the understanding it might not make quite as much power, and hopefully to make it run more smoothly at startup. After 4 or 5 emails where they didn’t answer the question, they finally said get a flex tune. I get the feeling they don’t want to really do a custom tune and are happy just sending out the two tunes they already have established. Emailed Shaun at AED and asked the same thing. He said it will always run rough if its cold but didn’t answer the E70 tune question. Emailed PBD and Steeda but haven’t heard back from either of them. The whole thing is kind of turning me off. Black Bear Performance did a custom tune for my Silverado and the process was much better... asked what I was looking for with the tune, did a few datalogs and tweaks, responded to emails.
Interesting since Lund gave some of the guys on here e54r tunes on top of flex for the places that don't have real e85 readily available just "flex fuel" which can vary.

Mikepol2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Interesting since Lund gave some of the guys on here e54r tunes on top of flex for the places that don't have real e85 readily available just "flex fuel" which can vary.
Tyler from Lund's exact response to me was "You could run a flex tune, but we aren't going to make tunes for lower grade ethanol fuels - you would get a flex tune and a dedicated e85 tune."

I have an SCT BDX already so just for fun I jumped on Lethal's website. Without the SCT, Lund's flex tune is $550, AED is $350, and PBD is $195. Lund says you get both flex and E85, not sure if that's the case with AED and PBD. Sure helps with the decision making process. Feeling pretty good about getting the flex tune in another month or two when the weather warms up.

LOL WUT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 GT
What’s the issue with just running the flex tune like many others do successfully? I mean if you’re tossing in E with a quality of lower than 80% ethanol, wouldn’t it just be safer overall to run a flex tune that could accommodate whatever ethanol content that goes in the tank?

I understand Lunds perspective. Why make an E70 or E54 or whatever E tune when the flex tune encompasses it all?

Mikepol2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
What’s the issue with just running the flex tune like many others do successfully? I mean if you’re tossing in E with a quality of lower than 80% ethanol, wouldn’t it just be safer overall to run a flex tune that could accommodate whatever ethanol content that goes in the tank?

I understand Lunds perspective. Why make an E70 or E54 or whatever E tune when the flex tune encompasses it all?
Well from what everyone says you get more power from the E85 tune because they can tune expecting a minimum E. So it made sense to me that you should be able to therefore get more power from, say, an E60 tune than a flex tune. So that’s the question I asked the four tuners. BTW PBD and Steeda have still not replied.

Sponsored

FruityJudy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10
Well from what everyone says you get more power from the E85 tune because they can tune expecting a minimum E. So it made sense to me that you should be able to therefore get more power from, say, an E60 tune than a flex tune. So that’s the question I asked the four tuners. BTW PBD and Steeda have still not replied.
Timing seems to ramp up under part throttle more with an e85r vs flex but wot timing is the same under good e85. Then the flex is going to accommodate for worse quality where e85r tune is not

AZ18yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
Timing seems to ramp up under part throttle more with an e85r vs flex but wot timing is the same under good e85. Then the flex is going to accommodate for worse quality where e85r tune is not
Yup peak power is the same with flex or straight but timing ramps up faster on a dedicated e tune. Still plenty of power and fun to be had on flex while dealing with fueling inconsistencies. My current build runs flex full time. No complaints.

MNstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
Do any of you know how much power/torque gain to expect from a flex fuel tune with a bone stock 2018+ 5.0? I have read that the e-85 tune will gain 40 peak hp with no mods but I don't know if if that is accurate. I don't plan on putting headers on or anything like that at this time but I'm really interested in getting a tune...

AZ18yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
Do any of you know how much power/torque gain to expect from a flex fuel tune with a bone stock 2018+ 5.0? I have read that the e-85 tune will gain 40 peak hp with no mods but I don't know if if that is accurate. I don't plan on putting headers on or anything like that at this time but I'm really interested in getting a tune...
Stock to e85 tune with quality fuel no other mods is in that range. By far best bang for the buck.

Mikepol2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Well from what everyone says you get more power from the E85 tune because they can tune expecting a minimum E. So it made sense to me that you should be able to therefore get more power from, say, an E60 tune than a flex tune.
So Shaun at AED got back to me and explained why the above logic doesn’t work. Sounds like temperature is a big factor with E85 tuning and the colder the temp, the more fuel is required, so if you don’t live in a warmer climate with good E85, flex is a better option. The very first thing Lund asked me too was if I lived in a colder climate. Makes sense if you think about the many stock vehicles you can buy tuned for flex, manufacturers know it will work whereever you live. Since PBD and Steeda never responded I’ll rule them out, and AED’s flex tune is almost half the price of Lund so I’ll probably go with the AED flex.
Sponsored