Sponsored

Lund E85 Race tune major issue

Diocletian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Orange Fury Mustang GT Premium A10 w/ PP1.
I was having a great time with my Lund Flex tune I put on a few days ago. I decided to switch to the E85 race tune yesterday to see what the fuss was(and to get diag logs), I've had a full tank of E85 for 2 days at this point and all 93 octane was gone.

Anyway, I flashed the tune before I went to work and drove 30 miles to my office, no issues and it performed fantastic. I later went to lunch, still good there too. Then, I go to leave work for the day and then I get a CEL on startup, P0300 and P0316. I waited 5 minutes before moving my car to see if they would clear but they didn't, I cleared them using the nGauge and drove 55 minutes home with no further issues. I created a log, with some highway driving and a couple 2500-3500 50%-70% WOT pulls and sent it off to my Lund tech. When I got home, I backed my car off the race tune and went back to flex just in case. I will see if it happens again during driving tomorrow, but no codes were thrown on startup so far.

My car has 3800 miles on it and was obviously caused by the tune, what gives?
Sponsored

Notagain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
yellow 2016 5.0 totaled white 2018 A10 now
Cold/Hard start on E85 caused the p0300 random misfire i bet.

idle prolly needs to be turned up a bit. Also i hope you did crank relearn when switching tunes.

Im on a flex tune from AED with a cobrajet intake mani and using autostart itll die 1st or 2nd time when running straight E85.

E85 cold starts are hard.

Last its a massive pet peeve of mine when people throw up threads BEFORE asking the tuner to address whatever you think isnt right!

Not trying to offend just sayin.......

OP
OP
Diocletian

Diocletian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah I was told to Crank Relearn. I was NEVER told that when switching tunes, a gigantic oversight on their part. Since I switched back to the Flex tune, should I Crank relearn now? Or flash back to the Race tune and then Relearn then?

Come to think of it, I never did a Relearn after switching to the Flex tune initially

Notagain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Everytime you switch I personally would. Its not hard doesnt take long and take this for example I think it could have avoided some issues. At least its a piece of mind and one less variable to worry about. Dialing in a tune small changes 1 thing at a time is paramount!!

Im a no expert but Id rather just not worry about it especially when switching to E85. Were not talking about a tune revision here its a different tune entirely so the car has to learn the ethanol content too.

Just my 2 cents anyways.

Id put it back on e85 only tune and focus on one thing at a time rather than switch it back to flex fuel.

Bouncing back and forth is only going to make it harder for the tuner to sort it out too!

OP
OP
Diocletian

Diocletian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So, flash back to race tune, crank relearn? I obviously am confirming with Lund as well. I just want to be 100% sure, because the notice that comes up before you start that process scared me out of it lol

Sponsored

Notagain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Id put it back on race tune then do the relearn clear all the codes if there are any. Drive it a bit WITH the datalogging hooked up. Doesnt need to be crazy WOT pulls just do a few little pulls to like 5k and that way if you have any issues youll have data to send the tuner.

Ive been doing logs with my own setup for AED tuning 1st was a base file for the cobra jet intake manifold then sent logs of the base file he sent me to fine tune that setup on 91 pump.

Now I am in the process of doing same all over again for flex fuel tune.

1. load base flex tune.
2. do crank relearn.
3. data log and send back to tuner.
4. Once AED reviews the logs Id expect 1 more revision to dial in or perfect anything that may need be.

Note I do NOT have a E85 only tune.

Car is currently on E85 now for logging the flex tune.

Goodluck and please for the love of god follow the guidance from the tuner step by step. If you dont know exactly what they are asking for ask them for clarification.

Less people involved the better here and try to change as few things as possible at a time that will be a huge factor making life less of a guessing game when something unexpected happens or if you dont think the cars doing what it should.

stang1971

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Premium Plus Magnetic GT
You think this is a major issue?.LMAO It happens with E85.... my car did it ONE time and hasnt since. Just clear the code and enjoy the car.... No car will behave perfect 100% of the time. I am on the E85R tune from Lund also....

Lonmon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10spd Base
I have run the Lund Race e85 tune on mine with no issues what so ever for over 6k miles. I tested my e85 to make sure it was adequate and logged to make sure all was good. Made good power and I daily drive mine 80 miles a day. I would suspect a fuel issue or maybe a tune revision. I wouldn't freak out about it, just contact Lund with some quality logs (Idle as well as other driving situations) and test your fuel. Don't let all the engine issue hysteria get to you. Work it out and enjoy it. I have switched back to the regular flex tune to run some 93 through it since I had it on e85 for about 7k miles straight. I think I will actually still leave it on the regular flex tune after I switch back to e85 due to the sometimes brutal shifts on the Race tune. Its great for the track but on the street it will break loose sometimes when your not trying to.

OP
OP
Diocletian

Diocletian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jimminy christmas, I thought I was going to open a thread about a blown engine...throwing a code a major issue?

This thread title needs to be changed, completely unfair to the folks at Lund, especially since it sounds like user error to me.
User error? This was misinformation from the TUNER, actually. I have been in conversation with Brandon, who has been a stellar tech the entire time, but he admittedly omitted some information. Probably because it's not needed often. The whole "crank relearn every time you switch tunes" is bullshit according to him lol.

Anyway, I believe we have the issue sorted now. Everyone go return your pitchforks, I'm not bashing Lund. I will change the thread title as well.

Edit: I guess I can't change the thread title. Maybe a mod could change it from "major issue" to "throwing P0300 and P0316"?

Sponsored

Notagain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
User error? This was misinformation from the TUNER, actually. I have been in conversation with Brandon, who has been a stellar tech the entire time, but he admittedly omitted some information. Probably because it's not needed often. The whole "crank relearn every time you switch tunes" is bullshit according to him lol.

Anyway, I believe we have the issue sorted now. Everyone go return your pitchforks, I'm not bashing Lund. I will change the thread title as well.

Edit: I guess I can't change the thread title. Maybe a mod could change it from "major issue" to "throwing P0300 and P0316"?

LOL bullshit or not the crank relearn likely would have saved you some drama. The fact that its simple and doesnt take long to do means I'll keep doing it EVERY time I change tunes.

But hey wtf do I know LOL!

OP
OP
Diocletian

Diocletian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
LOL bullshit or not the crank relearn likely would have saved you some drama. The fact that its simple and doesnt take long to do means I'll keep doing it EVERY time I change tunes.

But hey wtf do I know LOL!
Again, if I was told that BEFOREHAND, then yes it would've. But I wasn't, so I created a thread mentioning it as I worked with Lund to see if it was something to be expected, and apparently it is(The potential to throw codes that is). I'm definitely not used to mail-order tuning as I have only done dyno tuning on past cars, and I have never messed with E85. This is definitely a learning experience for sure

Grabber5OH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
I don't know whats worse the op jumping on here right away after a CEL, or the crank relearn after a tune guy LOL Thanks I needed this this morning!

Lonmon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10spd Base
I have reflashed my 15 a dozen or more times and my 18 5 or 6 times so far and the only time I needed to do a crank relearn was when I replaced the flywheel with my clutch on the 15. Not sure why anyone is saying it is necessary to do unless you have done motor, clutch, or trans work that moves the crank or cam trigger or sensors.
Sponsored