First Name
Ibrahim
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Hey everyone
I bought FA55T forged lug nut
And they look awesome and came with their own socket
But they are so light compared to the original ones
I’ve used them for a week and so far no problems but they are really light and can’t get the idea out of my head that they might break
Any thoughts about them?

3C9906E8-19F4-4A17-92FE-15BAA220B7D8.jpeg

A9EA7CBF-64A0-4DB1-87CB-38888A0C67DF.jpeg
Sponsored

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Forged - aluminum, that's why they're so light. Normally lug nuts are steel.

Yeah, I'd prefer steel lug nuts, as I've seen aluminum ones let go (but to be fair, they didn't have the need thread engagement, and the driver kinda knew that)... so ya, avoid using spacers with those.

OP
OP
Ibrahim_S

Ibrahim_S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ibrahim
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Forged - aluminum, that's why they're so light. Normally lug nuts are steel.

Yeah, I'd prefer steel lug nuts, as I've seen aluminum ones let go (but to be fair, they didn't have the need thread engagement, and the driver kinda knew that)... so ya, avoid using spacers with those.
Ok thanks

OP
OP
Ibrahim_S

Ibrahim_S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ibrahim
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
I didn't even know aluminum lug nuts were a thing??

Me personally, I would ditch those and get forged steel ones for the peace of mind.
Vossen lug nut are also Forged Aluminium.. so they can’t be that bad

Sponsored

Ewheels

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1, 2020 Explorer, 2023 F150
Vehicle Showcase
Vossen lug nut are also Forged Aluminium.. so they can’t be that bad
I'm not well read in the appearance mod department but I also know no one uses Vossen wheels for any sort of performance driving. Each company has different priorities.

Adamone92

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
They do look nice.

from what ive seen..for a street driven car, i wouldnt use aluminum. On a race car using the lugs once or twice? Sure, aluminum or titanium. For street, steel or titanium. The weight savings arent going to be worth the risk and/or maintenance of the aluminum lugs imo

OP
OP
Ibrahim_S

Ibrahim_S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ibrahim
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
They do look nice.

from what ive seen..for a street driven car, i wouldnt use aluminum. On a race car using the lugs once or twice? Sure, aluminum or titanium. For street, steel or titanium. The weight savings arent going to be worth the risk and/or maintenance of the aluminum lugs imo
Thanks.. going to try them for a while as a daily drive, so far they are doing well

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
There's no freaking way I'd trust anything other than steel for lug nuts on an almost 2-ton car calling for 150 ft/lbs of torque, especially if pushing the g limits. I've read of too many folks losing wheels with both Ti and Al lug nuts, with very expensive results. Similarly, I wouldn't use CF wheels either, but to each his own, I guess.

OP
OP
Ibrahim_S

Ibrahim_S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ibrahim
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
There's no freaking way I'd trust anything other than steel for lug nuts on an almost 2-ton car calling for 150 ft/lbs of torque, especially if pushing the g limits. I've read of too many folks losing wheels with both Ti and Al lug nuts, with very expensive results. Similarly, I wouldn't use CF wheels either, but to each his own, I guess.
You really freaked me out.. I won’t trust it and go back to steel

Sponsored

Adamone92

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
Agree. They work until they dont. I wouldnt want to encounter when they dont when it comes to my wheels. Especially not worth it on a street car.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Were you even able to torque those to 150 ft lbs?

The bigger question everyone should be asking is the use of dissimilar metals - aluminum lugs on steel studs... rain water or in geographic locations with winter seasons and salted roads, I expect those lugs to eventually weld themselves to the rims....

Me personally, I’d never use aluminum lugs, period.

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
Were you even able to torque those to 150 ft lbs?

The bigger question everyone should be asking is the use of dissimilar metals - aluminum lugs on steel studs... rain water or in geographic locations with winter seasons and salted roads, I expect those lugs to eventually weld themselves to the rims....

Me personally, I’d never use aluminum lugs, period.
If considering tire rotation happens with oil changes or @ 5k. not a big deal. Conditions mentioned could subject or cause the threads too galling.

I think torque value and the ability for a threaded aluminum nut. To be torque to 150 ft lbs is a much bigger concern.

Familiar with 6061, but not forged aluminum. Plus aluminum lugs in a race environment are a short time/cycle usage. Those few things would make me step back and think long and hard, regarding street usage.

BTW weight advantages ..... Check your time slip I guess, Worth the risk .... I guess.

Adamone92

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
If considering tire rotation happens with oil changes or @ 5k. not a big deal. Conditions mentioned could subject or cause the threads too galling.

I think torque value and the ability for a threaded aluminum nut. To be torque to 150 ft lbs is a much bigger concern.

Familiar with 6061, but not forged aluminum. Plus aluminum lugs in a race environment are a short time/cycle usage. Those few things would make me step back and think long and hard, regarding street usage.

BTW weight advantages ..... Check your time slip I guess, Worth the risk .... I guess.
+1

Galling..corrosion etc

Torque rating would also be a huge concern to me

Aluminum does have a higher resistance to heat, but is softer and more flexible. Over heat cycles and torquing on and off, i wouldnt trust it to hold at all. Like i said..for a race car..using the lugs once or twice..and then trashing them..sure. the small difference with the weight savings could help. I believe porsche and other racing teams use aluminum or titanium on the track for the weight savings..but i wouldnt for the street at all.
Sponsored