Sponsored

LSPI - EcoBoom - Intercooler

sredish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang Ecoboost
Just a quick thought after searching a ton on different topics.

With a stock intercooler that heat soaks quick, the timing is pulled as we know which causes power drop. Stepping up to a big intercooler helps lower intake temps which keeps the timing advanced, fuel in it and more power. So, wondering if there's a correlation to ecoboom and stepping up the intercooler and tuning? If it's pre-det then cooling the air temps more, allowing the timing to be more advanced, would exacerbate that wouldn't it?

I'm running Livernois tune on my 50k mile 2016 and have been since nearly day 1 after buying new and I use only the best synthetic oil with regular maintenance. I am very hard on it, driving wise.

Have been searching to decide on a catted vs catless dp and want to go catless then swap out every couple years for inspection, since I only want it for power gains. Searching for that brought me to the thought of the boom problem.

We only have 91 here, so my tune is a 91 tune. They gave me a 100 octane tune as we have a couple stations that pump it but I've quit running it with the 15/16 problems. The interesting thing about the low speed accelerating is, if you use the cruise control a lot, you'll see it shifts keeping the rpms as low as possible.

So to try and put a defense up, would it be appropriate to run an octane boost? I have discovered a new sensor, the one on CJPP Part # BU5Z-9F972-B. I will swap that out as well. Maybe I'll start using sport mode a little more to keep the rpms up a little to try and prevent the lower speed boost. I'll probably go ahead with a catless DP as that shouldn't really have a bearing on it.
Sponsored

Hi-PO Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Shelby GT500
I do not use octane boost on any of my fuel injected Mustangs. I had used octane boost additives on a high compression carbureted engine in the past. I saw the terrible things the octane boost did to the carb gaskets. Now I just use the very expensive high octane racing gas.

Coyote Chase

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2010/2018 Mustang
I also have concerns about octane boost additives. I came across this mixed fuel chart...
Screenshot_2021-01-26-09-48-32.png

Will mixed fuel vs fuel additives reduce your concerns about ecoboom?

OP
OP
sredish

sredish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang Ecoboost
we can't just run e85 right. i can search on that.

i definitely think the tune (which specifically) is an important part. spent a few in on the phone with livernois, who did my tuning and it really sounds like some of these tunes put the motor on the ragged edge.

Sponsored

Coyote Chase

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2010/2018 Mustang
I run 93 gas with factory tune. but I've talked to a few people who have ran E30 and E85... And have been told you can run E30 with a tune, but E85 requires both a tune and mods. But I don't have any direct experience (except for E15 in my 2.0 Fusion), and also would appreciate more information! Thanks!!

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
we can't just run e85 right. i can search on that.

i definitely think the tune (which specifically) is an important part. spent a few in on the phone with livernois, who did my tuning and it really sounds like some of these tunes put the motor on the ragged edge.
E85 guys are pushing more power so I’d wager they are pushing block closer to limits. To be honest most the modded ecoboost booms I read are e85 if I recall. But they don’t care

they get a built 2.0 and toss it in as replacement, which I prob will do if I can’t find a replacement engine out of a wreck fairly priced

jrock

The
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Blue EB
Vehicle Showcase
2016 Ecoboost with 19K miles. 16k miles with octane booster to get 100 octane. I just have to change the plugs about every 4k miles.

Last edited:

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
2016 Ecoboost with 19K miles. 16k miles with boostane to get 100 octane. I just have to change the plugs about every 4k miles.
That sounds terribly tedious

Coyote Chase

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2010/2018 Mustang
2016 Ecoboost with 19K miles. 16k miles with boostane to get 100 octane. I just have to change the plugs about every 4k miles.
That's impressive! What mods did you have to do to go from 93 octane to 100 octane??

Sponsored

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
why are you going through so many plugs? is it fouling them out from being too rich or something?

lizardrko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EB Auto PP
An intercooler alone should not cause any problems. The issues would arise in the tuning. I have been tuned for ~40k miles from FP with a MAP street intercooler with no issues (knock on wood). The FP tune is a much more tame tune compared to the custom ones, it is my DD, so did not want to risk anything by pushing the car to its limit

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
An intercooler alone should not cause any problems. The issues would arise in the tuning. I have been tuned for ~40k miles from FP with a MAP street intercooler with no issues (knock on wood). The FP tune is a much more tame tune compared to the custom ones, it is my DD, so did not want to risk anything by pushing the car to its limit
FP I believe is honestly pretty robust, in terms of power/safety. I got off the mod train recently and deleted to just rock the FP, I want longevity/fun but safe power and I am thinking just staying where I am.

Meatball

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT
2016 Ecoboost with 19K miles. 16k miles with octane booster to get 100 octane. I just have to change the plugs about every 4k miles.
At least a few people in the 5.0 FI section swear by, and frequently use, octane booster esp Boostane. I think you just need to watch/swap out plugs and O2 sensors more frequently
Sponsored