Sponsored

Low temp T-stat and E-85

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
My whipple kit came with what I think is a 160F T-stat. Was planning on running a Reisch 170 and based off literature I have read from them, I'm wondering if the 160F is ill advised given E-85.

I guess if you run the car hard enough it doesn't matter, as temps will rise above the open position to help vaporize off some of the lighter contaminants in the oil, just wondering if a very low T-stat is going to make cleanup of the oil less effective with E-85 contamination.
Sponsored

Barrel

Hoonigan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cars and Trucks
I always add the disclaimer that I primarily race my car, but I purposefully have a 160F Mishimoto thermostat and E85. I ran the Reisch 170F and it did just fine but I found the extra room in the coolant necessary for me when making a pass since it's doing double duty with the oil cooler.

OP
OP
Angrey

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
I always add the disclaimer that I primarily race my car, but I purposefully have a 160F Mishimoto thermostat and E85. I ran the Reisch 170F and it did just fine but I found the extra room in the coolant necessary for me when making a pass since it's doing double duty with the oil cooler.
If I drive it a lot (not daily, but more than a race car) is it going to elevate temps high enough to boil off some of the contaminants. From what I understand, running E-85 makes the oil even more of a soup/water down with contamination, which is fine if your oil gets hot enough to vaporize it out.

I guess if I'm running long drives or trips, it won't make a difference as the 160F just opens it earlier.

Barrel

Hoonigan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cars and Trucks
I think the Reisch is a good choice for the vast majority of people out there. And some of the lower temp thermostats run worse than the Reisch as well and lead to higher CHT. And with E85 a catch can is absolutely necessary IMO.

Jay-rod427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT C/S
If I drive it a lot (not daily, but more than a race car) is it going to elevate temps high enough to boil off some of the contaminants. From what I understand, running E-85 makes the oil even more of a soup/water down with contamination, which is fine if your oil gets hot enough to vaporize it out.

I guess if I'm running long drives or trips, it won't make a difference as the 160F just opens it earlier.
It will on a long enough highway trip, but not as effectively as the normal 200-210 range would.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Angrey

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
I think the Reisch is a good choice for the vast majority of people out there. And some of the lower temp thermostats run worse than the Reisch as well and lead to higher CHT. And with E85 a catch can is absolutely necessary IMO.
I'm definitely running a catch can, but that only prevents the crankcase gases going back through the intake. I'm worried about my 5w-50 turning into soup after 100 miles and never really recovering it's viscosity because the oil temp doesn't get or sustain long enough to burn off the additional contaminants from lighter hydrocarbon mixtures in the E-85.

It's a balancing act between temperature/power and degrading the oil lubricating capabilities.

OP
OP
Angrey

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
It will on a long enough highway trip, but not as effectively as the normal 200-210 range would.
I'll have to research but I think the OEM GT350 T-stat is somewhere around 190-195.

I live in South Florida if that plays a part. I'd venture that my T-stat will open on nearly every drive regardless of which threshold is set and from there it's simply a matter of how well the cooling system works wide open. There might be a few days a year where it will actually make a difference (where the T-stat remains closed for much longer on granny drives).

Jay-rod427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT C/S
I'm definitely running a catch can, but that only prevents the crankcase gases going back through the intake. I'm worried about my 5w-50 turning into soup after 100 miles and never really recovering it's viscosity because the oil temp doesn't get or sustain long enough to burn off the additional contaminants from lighter hydrocarbon mixtures in the E-85.

It's a balancing act between temperature/power and degrading the oil lubricating capabilities.
It takes more than 100 miles to accumulate enough dilution. Unless that 100 miles is 20 quick 5 mile blasts floggin on it. I'd still make a point to make a 30+ minute trip now and again to cook off the water/ethanol as much as possible.

OP
OP
Angrey

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
It takes more than 100 miles to accumulate enough dilution. Unless that 100 miles is 20 quick 5 mile blasts floggin on it. I'd still make a point to make a 30+ minute trip now and again to cook off the water/ethanol as much as possible.
Good point.

FastCarFanBoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 GB GT
I run a 170 t-stat and E85. I drive on average once a week for about 20 miles and I haven't had any issues with oil or fuel contamination. Just make sure when you do drive it that you get the oil up to temp for a bit and you will be fine. I run two breathers.
Sponsored