Boost Loading...
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chase
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Well after 3 years of heavy and I mean relentless abuse, hundreds of track passes in the 9.1 - 9.9 range, countless pulls, burnouts, dynos etc... The stock oil pump gears in my stock unopened 2015 motor have finally gave up... I was at the top of 4th on a highway pull and got the low oil pressure light... I knew immediately, its not a myth guys! Ive just been fortunate for a long time, now its time to build ole girl... We had a good run, While I wish i would've done them years ago, its has proven how long some can actually last.
Sponsored

Black Dog

Looking For Trouble
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Air Cooled Twins by Comp Turbo
Well after 3 years of heavy and I mean relentless abuse, hundreds of track passes in the 9.1 - 9.9 range, countless pulls, burnouts, dynos etc... The stock oil pump gears in my stock unopened 2015 motor have finally gave up... I was at the top of 4th on a highway pull and got the low oil pressure light... I knew immediately, its not a myth guys! Ive just been fortunate for a long time, now its time to build ole girl... We had a good run, While I wish i would've done them years ago, its has proven how long some can actually last.
Well not like we did not warn ya. Good luck. Now you can build it stronger. My 16 and 18 GT both got OPGs from MMR.

OP
OP
Ponderthis

Ponderthis

Boost Loading...
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chase
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Well not like we did not warn ya. Good luck. Now you can build it stronger. My 16 and 18 GT both got OPGs from MMR.
I like to learn things the hard way, BUT I have not actually seen a whole lot of failures in auto turbo cars. I knew it was a gamble and for a long time it did just fine.

Stang1586

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Damn sorry to hear. I follow your build on Instagram and the forum. What’s the plans now?

Tonymustang302

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2017 Turbo GT, 2019 GT350 racecar, 2021 GT500
Lol, mines getting done at LPF while the turbos getting done

Sponsored

SolarFlare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 CO GT
Can’t be mad if it’s gone 3 years at 9.1-9.9 range. I’d say it had a great run

AmericanLegend

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium w/ PP
Sorry to hear that.
Moral of story.....Do it right the first time. Don't be lazy.
The Oil Pump Gears are a very well documented weak link on the otherwise very strong & durable 5.0L.
Don't skip upgrading the OPG when installing a supercharger or turbo(s) on the 5.0L.

Rebuilding an engine (time and money suck) that would of been fine with a set of billet OPG = :headbang:

On the bright side you can use this as a good excuse to build it stronger.:muscle:

Stymee

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joel
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
You guys do realize this car flies
On a canned tune setup OPG/CS doesn’t seem as important

Once u start going low 10’s for sure it’s a smart investment

Stang 19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500 Ford Performance Blue
The bad news is I am sorry to hear that this happened and the good news is that this is fantastic for 99% of us will not be pushing that much power down so we do not need to do this modification ...

kent0464

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kent
Vehicle(s)
1983 Ford Ranger, 1986 SVO Mustang, 2017 Mustang GT PP, 2017 F150 3.5 Eco
Vehicle Showcase
The bad news is I am sorry to hear that this happened and the good news is that this is fantastic for 99% of us will not be pushing that much power down so we do not need to do this modification ...
Hmm not quite true, aggressive driving, down shifting at speed, rpms over factory limit have all contributed their share of broken gears.

Sponsored

Stymee

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joel
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Hmm not quite true, aggressive driving, down shifting at speed, rpms over factory limit have all contributed their share of broken gears.

If u dont hit the limiter repeatedly on a high 10 Sec mustang the stock gears r fine

80FoxCoupe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT, 80 Fox
Stock gears are fine in all setups, until they break. Run stock units if you are ok with the possibility of failure. Go with billet units if you want to strike that possible failure off the list. List is big sometimes LOL.

olaosunt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Guard,base,M6,KB-2.DIB,auto,Hellion TT,2016 GT 350/Gen 3 Whipple ,2018 Mustang GT/Gen 5 Whipple
I say you got your money’s worth out of that motor. Did you ever get that 8 sec pass?

I am sure you knew you were on borrowed time so should have had plenty of time to save up for new motor (or build a spare . Lol)

I vote , you just throw in another stock block (may be a Gen 3) .....with the OPG upgrade this time .

Good time to upgrade the valve springs if you heads survived and you won’t even have to worry about lifting heads since you will be able to use the longer 12 mm head studs with the Gen 3 block .

You could even turn down the boost with the higher compression motor and get that 8 second pass( if you did not already get it ).

QED.

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
First of all. Sorry to hear about your engine. I always thought the billet stuff was cheap insurance. But you had a fantastic run on the stock parts. I broke my transmission after 300 runs this week. So I feel like I got my moneys worth out of the stock 6r80. Hopefully you feel the same about the motor. Good luck with new build.

Vegas5OH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 5.0 PP
my friends 18 whipple broke the gears, after that happened it convinced me to do mine lol.
Sponsored