Sponsored

Looking for rec on compressor and tools

GT350/BT55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Conv Pack Avalanche White Stripe
I would appreciate if someone could steer me in the right dir. I am building a house in NC and will be really far from any gas stations. I want a compressor for the garage, I want to be able to:
Run an impact wrench to RM lugnuts / wheels
Keep tires inflated
Run sanders, maybe paint guns, other air tools

I went to harbor freight to look and left more bewildered than when I arrived

The company that services my screw compressors at work said look at Harbor Frt and get a 5 HP.

I dont care about cheapest or whatever, I just want to get a good one, and have it outlast me.

So if you would
Brand?
HP?
CFM?
Tank Size?
Impact wrench would be first tool buy, any sugg?

Thanks,

Bill
Sponsored

sox3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT 350 Performance Blue
Do you have a price range? That will make a difference. I just built a 3 hp, 2 cylinder, 60 gal tank, 10 cfm at 90 psi to replace a 20 gal oil free unit from harbor freight. That HF unit is so loud !
Also have a 5 hp, 30 gal 2 stage from lowes in my detached garage. Great little unit with no issues.
Bigger is always better just need to size it to how much air you need to run tools.
As far as impacts I rarely use my air impact. Have been using cordless for years.

CJJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT/CS Convertible - Race Red
OP
OP

GT350/BT55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
As far as impacts I rarely use my air impact. Have been using cordless for years.
Oh great, can you tell me make model? Can you set torque value? I would assume yes but I have not seen a tool like that.

Also I won’t do a lot of painting, just maybe a pc of furniture or two, here and there. Just home use.

DaveR.PP2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
20 Mustang GT PP2 ; 67 Shelby GT350; 67 Mustang S Code Coupe; 88 Mustang LX 5.0 Coupe
If you want a serious compressor i highly recommend the EMAX line of USA made units. You get what you pay for and they're fairly quiet. I sold my 60 gal Sanborn and that too was a very durable unit.

1610805676228406032485.jpg

Sponsored

sox3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT 350 Performance Blue
My 1/2 and 3/8 guns are Snap on. Older units. Looking to replace the 1/2 with the dewalt. Has 3 speed settings. I only use the impact on the F250 lugs. I do the GT350 by hand and use torque wrench to tighten.

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
Unless you really need air for something specific - like painting, get Milwaukee M12 / M18 cordless tools and forget about compressor. I have one, haven't started it for years now.

For tire inflation I am using (you guessed it) Milwaukee M12 inflator which is incredibly convenient. There was no fastener that big M18 impact couldn't handle and size of stubby M12 one is ubeatable. Also - M12 cordless ratched - most useful tool ever invented.

OP
OP

GT350/BT55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Unless you really need air for something specific - like painting, get Milwaukee M12 / M18 cordless tools and forget about compressor. I have one, haven't started it for years now.

For tire inflation I am using (you guessed it) Milwaukee M12 inflator which is incredibly convenient. There was no fastener that big M18 impact couldn't handle and size of stubby M12 one is ubeatable. Also - M12 cordless ratched - most useful tool ever invented.
https://www.milwaukeetool.com/Products/Power-Tools/Specialty-Tools/2475-20

That thing is def cool.
Looks like it also works as a pinpoint blower which would help w motorcycle washing as well. I will pick one of these up for now.

I am still confused about the cordless impact gun.

IF I use a compressor w an output pressure gauge, cant I just set the PSI and torque the lug nuts to proper amount and I’m done? Or would you have to use a torque wrench AFTER you semi tighten lug nuts w air impact gun.

I am assuming from what you guys are saying, if you use a cordless, you still have to torque w wrench after?

I would like a tool air or cordless that you could torque the lug nut to correct mount in one shot.

pilotgore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch
I would appreciate if someone could steer me in the right dir. I am building a house in NC and will be really far from any gas stations. I want a compressor for the garage, I want to be able to:
Run an impact wrench to RM lugnuts / wheels
Keep tires inflated
Run sanders, maybe paint guns, other air tools

I went to harbor freight to look and left more bewildered than when I arrived

The company that services my screw compressors at work said look at Harbor Frt and get a 5 HP.

I dont care about cheapest or whatever, I just want to get a good one, and have it outlast me.

So if you would
Brand?
HP?
CFM?
Tank Size?
Impact wrench would be first tool buy, any sugg?

Thanks,

Bill
I started building my tool collection about 10 years ago and ran into a similar predicament. I'm in agreement with some of the others.... cordless tools or non air tools are the best from a convenience standpoint. It's nice being able to take a cordless impact anywhere (especially track days) and not being worried about being tied to a fixed air compressor. I have a smaller compressor for tire inflation and occasional small painting projects. My compressor is a small dewalt, but honestly anything will due for tire inflation or running small tools.

For things requiring a much larger volume of air such as painting or sanding, you'll need a very large compressor with quick recharge time unless you want to constantly wait for the tank to recharge. Even 60 gal isn't enough unless you have a stellar compressor on top.... after a few minutes of sanding you'll notice the RPMS dropping. Electric, you'll never have any issues. Also you dont have to be worried about maneuvering around with an air hose as opposed to just an electrical cord. Also when dealing with air tools and using large amounts of air, air/water separation can be a big issue. I recommend going with an electric sander unless your planning to sand a significant amount of metal (which can produce a good amount of heat and benefits from air drive.). I used air, then settled on an electric sander when I stripped my truck down to bare metal, and I had zero issues whatsoever running the electric for 20 hours over 2 days. If I ever had to strip it down again, Id absolutely stick with electric.

All in all, I say buy a cheapish small compressor for inflation and small automotive painting projects, and spend the money you saved on much more useful cordless tools. I like dewalt for my 20V impact (mostly because most of my tools are in that ecosystem already and I have plenty of batteries/chargers.). Most of the higher end electric impacts have multiple settings with different torque amounts. I think my settings are 15 ft/lbs, 150 ft/lbs, and 300 ft/lbs. I use the torque wrench for removal, but alway a torque wrench to reinstall lugs.

My electric ratchet is a Bosch..... and although I thought Id use it all the time, I very rarely use it and given the choice wouldn't buy it again.

Sorry for the long rambling post, hope this helps a little. Best of luck!

pilotgore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch
I would like a tool air or cordless that you could torque the lug nut to correct mount in one shot.
I'm not saying such a solution doesn't exist, but I imagine if there was a good reliable solution for all in one, tires shops across the country would be able to toss their torque wrenches. Every tire shop I've been to uses an impact to get the lugs on and snug, then use a torque wrench to finish it off.

Sponsored
OP
OP

GT350/BT55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
All good
I am going to get the milwaukee inflator, and cordless impact.

and I guess I need a good torque wrench.

I appreciate the input

pilotgore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch

HEP#15

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350 Heritage Edition L0015
I use the cordless Milwaukee tools discussed above including the tire inflator and have no complaints. Much more convenient than compressed air setups unless you are painting or doing other things that air tools excel at.

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Milwaukee M12 and M18 tools hands down. Air is old school. My best friend turns wrenches for Mercedes for a living and has no air tools; all Milwaukee M12/18 stuff, including impact guns. If they're good enough for him to make a living with every day, that's all I need to know. He guided me towards this one; 1/2" drive, medium torque. Has four settings and it'll drive lug nuts right off on setting 2. Model 2962. It's impressive.

And as others have said, you'd never finish torque lug nuts anyways. You need a torque wrench regardless. Period. I don't even use this to drive lug nuts on. I have a 1/4 impact/driver that just runs them down, and then over to the torque wrench.

Also agree; the General line of boxes from Harbor Freight cannot be beat in the bang-for-the-buck category. This 73" chest is sub $1K on a sale.

IMG_1839.jpeg

rTlstYQZQuudSS9qtXEeIg.jpg

pilotgore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch
Milwaukee M12 and M18 tools hands down. Air is old school. My best friend turns wrenches for Mercedes for a living and has no air tools; all Milwaukee M12/18 stuff, including impact guns. If they're good enough for him to make a living with every day, that's all I need to know. He guided me towards this one; 1/2" drive, medium torque. Has four settings and it'll drive lug nuts right off on setting 2. Model 2962. It's impressive.

And as others have said, you'd never finish torque lug nuts anyways. You need a torque wrench regardless. Period. I don't even use this to drive lug nuts on. I have a 1/4 impact/driver that just runs them down, and then over to the torque wrench.

Also agree; the General line of boxes from Harbor Freight cannot be beat in the bang-for-the-buck category. This 73" chest is sub $1K on a sale.

IMG_1839.jpeg

rTlstYQZQuudSS9qtXEeIg.jpg
How do you like that flooring? I’m in the process of building a new garage and have considered this type of floor, but I’ve heard a rolling floor jack or roller stool can dig in.
Sponsored