Looking for pictures of GT350 Recaro's at car shows

Status
Not open for further replies.

pilotgore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch
So I'll fully admit the title seems a bit odd, but let me explain.

I have a '19 GT350 with the Heated/Cooled (Dairy Queen) seats. I'm totally fine with the DQ seats on track (with the assist of a harness), but after watching some of my smaller passengers sliding around in their seats on track, I decided to start looking for some Recaro's for track days. I finally found a set of reasonably priced seats in great condition, located in Detroit. I picked them up yesterday.

The guy that I bought the seats from works in an advertising/car show capacity for Ford in Detroit. The story goes a little like this: When the gt350 first launched, his department was in charge of setting up and running the display for the GT350. The GT350 display included static displays for multiple components, including the engine and seats. He said the seats were pulled off the line in 2015 (production sticker matches), were never installed in a car, and were carted around to different shows around the midwest (including the Detroit, Chicago, and Indianapolis auto shows, as well as the Oshkosh air show.) When ford scaled the GT350 display back to something smaller a few years ago, all of the static display components went into storage. Last year, when the head of that department transferred from Detroit to Chicago, he figured they'd be left to rot in a warehouse. So instead of letting that happen, the manager gave the seats to one of his employees, who I bought them from, to be used in his track car (a Camaro.) After getting the seats home and putting them in his garage, the sellers wife decided to google the value of the seats, and then promptly reminded her husband that they hadn't been on a honeymoon yet. She..... "politely" suggested that he sell the seats to free up some cash for a honeymoon. I ended up paying right around $2k for the seats (what I consider a good deal.)

I thought it'd be a cool part of the story of this car if I could find a picture of the seats on display at a car show. I'm wondering if any of you forum members might have coincidentally captured a picture of these seats at a car show and would be willing to share it with me.

Thanks!

Edit: I took this picture before cleaning the seats. Any areas that look worn through/white were actually just dusty. The seats look brand new.

Screen Shot 2021-03-04 at 4.27.52 PM.png
Sponsored

s2ms

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
1966 GT350 - 6S1757, 2017 GT350 - H3303
Would like to have seen pics of those seats in the Camaro...

btown93

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Knight Industries 2000
They used some at the track tour back in 2015. 3:14 in on this video:

Sponsored

OP
OP
pilotgore

pilotgore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch
They used some at the track tour back in 2015. 3:14 in on this video:
That’s a pretty impressive find, thanks for sending that on!

I just sent a link to the guy I bought them from to see if he can confirm, but I’m guessing those aren’t my seats unfortunately. Those look to be Ford performance guys running that demo, and I suspect the seats displayed there ended up in Utah and then Charolette for track attack for Hans/harness demos. I’ll send them to a buddy at FP and see if he can confirm that suspicion.

At any rate, good catch! I’ll report back when I hear something.

Edit: Nope, the weren’t used by the FP guys at track attack. Apparently they use non-gt350 recaro racing seats for demo’s.

Last edited:

btown93

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Knight Industries 2000
That’s a pretty impressive find, thanks for sending that on!

I just sent a link to the guy I bought them from to see if he can confirm, but I’m guessing those aren’t my seats unfortunately. Those look to be Ford performance guys running that demo, and I suspect the seats displayed there ended up in Utah and then Charolette for track attack for Hans/harness demos. I’ll send them to a buddy at FP and see if he can confirm that suspicion.

At any rate, good catch! I’ll report back when I hear something.

Edit: Nope, the weren’t used by the FP guys at track attack. Apparently they use non-gt350 recaro racing seats for demo’s.
Well, it helped that I got to attend one of these so I knew :) If I remember, these were put on by a marketing company (maybe Campbell marketing?). They still do a tour with the GT500. These events have an airplane hanger and all the unique components on display. As part of the on track session they have seats lined up to try out, but also to fit a helmet and a hans before going on the track. The Track Attack cars in Utah and Charlotte all have to factory GT350 recaros in them. The 2015 Mustang GTs the school uses are a GT350 seat but are embroidered with the Ford Performance Racing School logo instead of the GT350 logo.

OP
OP
pilotgore

pilotgore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch
Well, it helped that I got to attend one of these so I knew :) If I remember, these were put on by a marketing company (maybe Campbell marketing?). They still do a tour with the GT500. These events have an airplane hanger and all the unique components on display. As part of the on track session they have seats lined up to try out, but also to fit a helmet and a hans before going on the track. The Track Attack cars in Utah and Charlotte all have to factory GT350 recaros in them. The 2015 Mustang GTs the school uses are a GT350 seat but are embroidered with the Ford Performance Racing School logo instead of the GT350 logo.
Very cool. Great info.

Specifically I was referring to the few seats that FP (for track attack) has sitting outside of cars to use for harness/Hans demo’s. I looked at my footage from charolette, as well as YouTube footage from Utah track attack, and verified the seats they use are recaros, but they aren’t the same 350 recaros.

I heard back from the seller, he said they would have been part of press tours/car shows, but not something used for demos at an event like the one you attended. Also, to his knowledge, they never made it to the left coast.

Thanks anyhow!

btown93

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Knight Industries 2000
https://horsepowermemories.com/2016...0-north-american-track-tour/#jp-carousel-2140

check this out in the photos. I can't find the tour dates, but it was a nationwide tour.

Just to add, these events were done by the marketing company, but Ford Racing School employees were on hand for the on track portion. They handled the fitting of the harnesses, riding along, and driving on the hot laps. I attended the Lime Rock, CT event and ran into my instructor from Boss Track Attack I attended two years prior in Utah.
Sponsored

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.