metroplex

Mr. EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
2009 Cobalt SS/TC, 2017 Fusion Sport, 2018 Explorer
The local speedshop raves about the automatic, especially with the blower kits but I've read about problems with the hydraulic line, clutch, and shifter on the MT82. I just don't want to have to immediately throw on $1000 worth of mods to make it work right.
Sponsored

chain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT
How much more are you going to pay to get an auto? I hear that isn't a free upgrade. I say get the manual and you might find you like it anyways. Worse comes to worse you throw money at it like you would've for an auto.

OP
OP
metroplex

metroplex

Mr. EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
The auto is an extra $1200 or so, but if I get the manual and the PP, it's about even. About $41k X-Plan

What mods would I need to throw at the MT82 initially?

Semi

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
79 ford f250 7.5l/2015 gt pp ruby red
I'm in the market for a new Mustang, and my local dealer is allowing me to order a new GT350 at MSRP or I can use my X-Plan for the regular GT. He also said the last months to order a 2017 would be July/August, and the rebate isn't exactly ultra enticing at the moment.

I've read up on the different setups, and am disappointed that I can't get the Track Package with the automatic. I keep hearing about how the MT-82 has steadily improved since 2011, but I am not fond of Ford using zip-ties for the rear bushing or how they used a plastic clutch hose. The 6R80 is damn near bulletproof without fiddling with bushings, shifters, clutch lines, or the clutch. So I keep seeing recommendations to go with the 6R80 auto and 3.15s for straight line speed.

It looks like about $41k X-Plan for a 2017 GT Premium with the options I want, which is about $10k more than what I'd like to spend but the $33k for the stripped down GT is missing out on a lot of stuff.

Should I wait to order a 2018? I do like the LED headlights, Magneride shocks, and active exhaust along with the digital display and faster 10 speed auto. But I'm not fond of the idea of the Magneride shocks needing replacing or first-year beta testing the 10-speed auto on a GT.

I currently have a 2007 Mustang GT that I use for cruising in the summer, and a 2014 Taurus SHO for the winter/daily driving that I tuned to run 12.4 in the 1/4 with stock hardware. I know the GT will be much slower than the SHO, and the GT350 will probably run about even in the 1/4 mile which feels odd to me.

Are there any inherent problems with the S550 or 2017 S550?
Your post is all over the place. The 2017 you want is 10k more than you'd like to spend yet you're considering a gt350?

Your sho is faster than the s550's and gt350? do you want a 1/4 mile car or a mustang?

You want a better transmission but don't want to gamble on a first year 10 speed developed with the resources of two major motor vehicle companies?

You don't wanna pay for replacing magneride but led lights appeal to you?

:crazy:

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
The auto is an extra $1200 or so, but if I get the manual and the PP, it's about even. About $41k X-Plan

Nothing really. Mine drives perfect. I don't get what people are talking about.
I guess I would at least change the clutch spring because factory pedal has no feel what so ever.

Sponsored

AEengnr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
I have an auto and it's not bad, granted it's my only car and I drive 20k miles a year; however, if you have other cars for daily driving I would suggest getting the manual. That's what I would have done given I had a second car.

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
I have an auto and it's not bad, granted it's my only car and I drive 20k miles a year; however, if you have other cars for daily driving I would suggest getting the manual. That's what I would have done given I had a second car.
Manual makes driving so much more fun.
Something about rolling through the gear and execute a perfect rev match downshift.

AEengnr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
Manual makes driving so much more fun.
Something about rolling through the gear and execute a perfect rev match downshift.
Agreed. I didn't learn to drive a manual until I turned 23 (just turned 25) so I'm not fully attached like those who grew up on it but there are definitely times I wish I had one. 90% of my driving is highway so I guess it doesn't make a huge difference at that point.

TomcatDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Magnetic w/black stripes
Invoice pricing for the configuration I wanted was around $41k, and that's close to X-Plan pricing:

GT Premium, 401A, Security Package, Automatic, 20x9 wheels w/ 265/35R20 summer tires, Reverse Sensing System, and Navigation.

I can't get the PP with the automatic, so the next best wheel/tire combo would be the 20x9s, as I can eventually slip 275s or 285s over them. I don't like buying multiple sets of wheels. I'd normally have gone with the manual, but I'm not yet sold on the MT82.
Seems a tad high. I have a quote at $38K for about the same (GTP, auto, 20", 401A, security, reverse, Nav). You might have something in there I left out, but not $3K of something.

But, as others have said, if you have a dealer that will sell you a GT350 for MSRP, go for it. All the ones I have seen around here have been many thousands above ($10-20K).

chain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT
Nothing really. Mine drives perfect. I don't get what people are talking about.
I guess I would at least change the clutch spring because factory pedal has no feel what so ever.
Exactly what he said. I would change the clutch spring but honestly don't think it needs anything more.

Sponsored

Dak2Zeke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 428

Get the Auto and definitely do not wait for the 2018. Test drove big the other day, Auto with 3.55 gears Premium trim was much more fun than manual PP. especially as a DD. Just install a sway bar and lower it for better handling

OP
OP
metroplex

metroplex

Mr. EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
Seems a tad high. I have a quote at $38K for about the same (GTP, auto, 20", 401A, security, reverse, Nav). You might have something in there I left out, but not $3K of something.

But, as others have said, if you have a dealer that will sell you a GT350 for MSRP, go for it. All the ones I have seen around here have been many thousands above ($10-20K).
I wonder why there is a big dfference? Is that $38k for a 2017? Edmunds shows $43,856 MSRP for your setup and $41,529 for Invoice. There's only a $500 rebate currently. Ford's website shows the same MSRP.

Coconut

Poptart
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Magnetic manual
If you want a manual, get the 17' now. If you want auto, wait for the 18'.

Coyote Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Vehicle(s)
2016 5.0 Coyote Red
Vehicle Showcase
Coyote Red in sport mode

I'd get the GT 350 MSRP, or buy a 2016 GT auto. Used or not.I found last year a 16 w/3.55:1 gear and was glad to get out from under a 2014 Cyclone w/44,000 miles. The GT has been easier to build for the twisty's. And I have a pony to enjoy many more years w/paddles, which are quite fun.
tn_DSCN1315.JPG
Sponsored