metroplex

Mr. EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
2009 Cobalt SS/TC, 2017 Fusion Sport, 2018 Explorer
I'm in the market for a new Mustang, and my local dealer is allowing me to order a new GT350 at MSRP or I can use my X-Plan for the regular GT. He also said the last months to order a 2017 would be July/August, and the rebate isn't exactly ultra enticing at the moment.

I've read up on the different setups, and am disappointed that I can't get the Track Package with the automatic. I keep hearing about how the MT-82 has steadily improved since 2011, but I am not fond of Ford using zip-ties for the rear bushing or how they used a plastic clutch hose. The 6R80 is damn near bulletproof without fiddling with bushings, shifters, clutch lines, or the clutch. So I keep seeing recommendations to go with the 6R80 auto and 3.15s for straight line speed.

It looks like about $41k X-Plan for a 2017 GT Premium with the options I want, which is about $10k more than what I'd like to spend but the $33k for the stripped down GT is missing out on a lot of stuff.

Should I wait to order a 2018? I do like the LED headlights, Magneride shocks, and active exhaust along with the digital display and faster 10 speed auto. But I'm not fond of the idea of the Magneride shocks needing replacing or first-year beta testing the 10-speed auto on a GT.

I currently have a 2007 Mustang GT that I use for cruising in the summer, and a 2014 Taurus SHO for the winter/daily driving that I tuned to run 12.4 in the 1/4 with stock hardware. I know the GT will be much slower than the SHO, and the GT350 will probably run about even in the 1/4 mile which feels odd to me.

Are there any inherent problems with the S550 or 2017 S550?
Sponsored

Loud 5.0

Loud 5.0
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
i have a 2016 GT PP car and i am glad i spent the extra money over the base based on the mods that i wanted to go with. The PP car has the ability to run quad exhaust with the roush rear valance whereas the base GT cannot without extra modification. It has better suspension vs the base as well as the upgraded stereo and larger screen for the backup cam.
The one thing i noticed was with the torsen rear you hear alot of noise while shifting and i didnt know if that was a problem or not. Come to find out its just how Torsen is made and the sound is normal, so i had to get use to it. This car doesnt seem to have the infamous dash rattle that the 2015s had. Overall i am thoroughly impressed by it.

OP
OP
metroplex

metroplex

Mr. EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
I can't speak for the S550 Torsen, but I own other vehicles with Torsen differentials and they are about as silent as factory open differentials.

What about the GT Premium with auto? Could I swap in the quad-exhaust rear valence from FRPP? I noticed that the loudest quad-exhaust is the Borla Sport setup. I see they have regular X-pipe catback kits with the Borla ATAK, which is more of the sound level I'm looking for.

Only reason I don't want to go with the manual is I heard too many negative reviews of the MT-82. My TR-3650 in the 07 GT has many nuances and if I had to do it again, I'd have gone with the 5R55 auto and added a blower kit.

Loud 5.0

Loud 5.0
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
I think the loudest quad exhaust is going to be the Corsa Extreme which i have on mine. I think you can only do the rear valance with a PP or Premium bumper. I have no issues with my manual thus far after 10k miles and i've revved it as far as stock will take it with no issues.

MSMStannyl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium - Triple Yellow
The PP car has the ability to run quad exhaust with the roush rear valance whereas the base GT cannot without extra modification. It has better suspension vs the base as well as the upgraded stereo and larger screen for the backup cam.
^ Not exactly correct.

The "Premium" package is what gives you the rear valance you're talking about. Not the PP package.

Again, the stereo upgrade has absolutely nothing to do with the PP package. It's the "Premium" package that gives you the better stereo and larger screen with backup camera (base models also have backup camera but smaller screen). There is also an additional option package for the premium stereo that adds a subwoofer to the trunk and a couple more small speakers.

Sponsored

Loud 5.0

Loud 5.0
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
^ Not exactly correct.

The "Premium" package is what gives you the rear valance you're talking about. Not the PP package.

Again, the stereo upgrade has absolutely nothing to do with the PP package. It's the "Premium" package that gives you the better stereo and larger screen with backup camera (base models also have backup camera but smaller screen). There is also an additional option package for the premium stereo that adds a subwoofer to the trunk and a couple more small speakers.
thanks for clearing that up, i guess i have a premium performance pack than, which is what i was trying to answer for him.

Polax

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
16' DIP blue GT premium pp
I just bought a used 2016 premium pp and it only had 15k miles and is like new condition. If you could hold off or look used you can probably find people trying to unload there cars because of the new model coming out. I got my for 28k out the door it's used but has everything I wanted if I bought new the sticker was right at 41k.

OP
OP
metroplex

metroplex

Mr. EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
I'd definitely factory order one with the X-Plan, if anything just to get my name on the window sticker. I've had bad luck buying used anything. People don't seem to take care of their stuff as well as me, and I'm a nitpicker with the details. But the 2017s might get larger rebates soon. I'm just hesitant to beta test the first releases for the Magneride, 10-speed, active exhaust on the GT, new instrument panel, etc...

chain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT
I ordered my 2017 GT Premium with Perf Pack and premier trim and got it OTD for $38,200. You can do better than MSRP for sure. MSRP on mine was $41,485.

As for the MT-82, I have only had my car for 3-1/2 weeks now but I really don't think it's bad. I have also heard others note that it's better than it was on the previous generation. I don't have any experience there as this is my first Mustang. I could be wrong but I wonder how much of the bad talk of the MT-82 is because we are sitting here in an echo chamber and people are regurgitating the same crap that they've heard from the previous generation or what some one else said. Not saying some people may not have issues, just saying I personally think it shifts well and I am sometimes weary of what all is said on forums. Glad to have the forum as a resource. Just think for every 10 opinions on something, probably only one of them are from someone's personal experience.

MyLilPony

Naw It's Stock
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kris
Vehicle(s)
2015 Black GT, 18 JLUR, 15 JK
I'm in the market for a new Mustang, and my local dealer is allowing me to order a new GT350 at MSRP ?
So are you considering the GT350 or just pointing out you can get it for MSRP...If you are considering and can swing it, go with the 350 and enjoy the hell out of the car! at MSRP that's a great deal. the crack headed ass dealers out here still have a mark up on them.

Sponsored

cbrookre

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible 50th app
this is probably what we can expect from every third thread for the next few months.. :)

All of the things that you listed about the 2018 will drive the price up heavily over the 2017, which you already said was marginally too expensive. The Mustang will drive much better than the SHO, at least based on my own test drives, and is a great platform to start customizing. My advice would be get the 2017 and don't look back, but in the end the choice is yours.

Omega

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 LB GT PP 401A, Roush 727
I ordered my 2017 GT Premium with Perf Pack and premier trim and got it OTD for $38,200. You can do better than MSRP for sure. MSRP on mine was $41,485.

As for the MT-82, I have only had my car for 3-1/2 weeks now but I really don't think it's bad. I have also heard others note that it's better than it was on the previous generation. I don't have any experience there as this is my first Mustang. I could be wrong but I wonder how much of the bad talk of the MT-82 is because we are sitting here in an echo chamber and people are regurgitating the same crap that they've heard from the previous generation or what some one else said. Not saying some people may not have issues, just saying I personally think it shifts well and I am sometimes weary of what all is said on forums. Glad to have the forum as a resource. Just think for every 10 opinions on something, probably only one of them are from someone's personal experience.
... This ...
I'm 43 had lots of cars, most manuals. The only thing I don't like about the shifting vs all my other cars is that the shifter knob is to small.

I have 2k miles with the Roush 727 and other than one mis-shift (my fault getting used to Barton shifter with all 4 springs)... I have had 0 issues or anything to complain about.

Or maybe I've just never had a great manual?

Grintch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
I'm in the market for a new Mustang, and my local dealer is allowing me to order a new GT350 at MSRP or I can use my X-Plan for the regular GT. He also said the last months to order a 2017 would be July/August, and the rebate isn't exactly ultra enticing at the moment.

I've read up on the different setups, and am disappointed that I can't get the Track Package with the automatic. I keep hearing about how the MT-82 has steadily improved since 2011, but I am not fond of Ford using zip-ties for the rear bushing or how they used a plastic clutch hose. The 6R80 is damn near bulletproof without fiddling with bushings, shifters, clutch lines, or the clutch. So I keep seeing recommendations to go with the 6R80 auto and 3.15s for straight line speed.

It looks like about $41k X-Plan for a 2017 GT Premium with the options I want, which is about $10k more than what I'd like to spend but the $33k for the stripped down GT is missing out on a lot of stuff.

Should I wait to order a 2018? I do like the LED headlights, Magneride shocks, and active exhaust along with the digital display and faster 10 speed auto. But I'm not fond of the idea of the Magneride shocks needing replacing or first-year beta testing the 10-speed auto on a GT.

I currently have a 2007 Mustang GT that I use for cruising in the summer, and a 2014 Taurus SHO for the winter/daily driving that I tuned to run 12.4 in the 1/4 with stock hardware. I know the GT will be much slower than the SHO, and the GT350 will probably run about even in the 1/4 mile which feels odd to me.

Are there any inherent problems with the S550 or 2017 S550?
Last time I looked, a GT350 at list price was a unicorn. So if you can afford it, do that. The GT350 also gets rid of the MT82 for a Tremec, so you don't have to worry about those issues.

OP
OP
metroplex

metroplex

Mr. EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
I ordered my 2017 GT Premium with Perf Pack and premier trim and got it OTD for $38,200. You can do better than MSRP for sure. MSRP on mine was $41,485
Invoice pricing for the configuration I wanted was around $41k, and that's close to X-Plan pricing:

GT Premium, 401A, Security Package, Automatic, 20x9 wheels w/ 265/35R20 summer tires, Reverse Sensing System, and Navigation.

I can't get the PP with the automatic, so the next best wheel/tire combo would be the 20x9s, as I can eventually slip 275s or 285s over them. I don't like buying multiple sets of wheels. I'd normally have gone with the manual, but I'm not yet sold on the MT82.

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
Buying auto because not trusting MT82 is like cutting hands off because they are a bit clunky in certain situations.
I made a mistake buying an auto. Cost me $6k to trade in for a manual in 10 months.
Sponsored