Limp Mode on the Track

krt22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Like the Z06?
Bingo.

I don't think most folks understand just how much power these cars have these days and how that translates to heat generation. OEMs obviously know and design the cars such that they don't self destruct. We can now get super-car performance at Pony car prices, unfortunately you can't always have your cake and eat it too.

It is unfortunate that Ford did not offer both packages(Sans the R), but im guessing the lack of overlap will effect a very very small percentage of the owners. The bean counters are Ford likely anticipated this as well, knowing full well you cant always please everyone.

Bossing

attacks tracks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just can't get enuff!
There goes that Z06 conjecture... not all Z06's have cooling issues. I have a non-Z07 Z06 (which doesn't have to do with coolers anyway since they all have them as standard equipment) and I'm not going to rant endless about it.... but I have 14 track days with mine and no limp mode issues whatsoever due to overheating problems. I tend to push it hard too. No novice lap parades here. Not sayng it's trouble free since I had other issues pop up such as CEL due to MAF and A/F sensor going bad but that's it that caused some loss in power for me and GM is rectifying my concerns.

BTT... if you experience limp mode for example, I think it's a good idea to have the GT350 troubleshoot at the dealer for any underlying signs or even hidden DTC's. Their diagnostic equipment is usually more advanced and proprietary anyway... maybe they can dig in the ECMs and see what caused limp mode.

SVTDSM

@Serpent_Stangs
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350R
I wish Ford Performance had a kit that could easily add the coolers. I was told by Mike G. that they aren't even working on one as of now because of the issue with the trans pump. I asked why not just make a kit that can adapt an electric pump to the factory cooler and lines, and his response was there's no way to power it, and that I should just go aftermarket.

Eric0w

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500 CFTP Rapid Red
Vehicle Showcase
I am wondering if the Mustang GT has the same issue as GT350 Base/Tech... I know lots of people track their GTs very hard.

Sponsored

Eric0w

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500 CFTP Rapid Red
Vehicle Showcase
Really hope to see an aftermarket Trans/Diff cooler...

rcb020

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I am wondering if the Mustang GT has the same issue as GT350 Base/Tech... I know lots of people track their GTs very hard.
I did eight 20 minute sessions last June, ambient temp in the 90s. I had no issues at all regarding limp mode or power loss. Temps stayed normal as far as I could tell. I don't think that the GT PP has a transmission or diff cooler either, issues maybe be specific to the TR3160?

krt22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
I did eight 20 minute sessions last June, ambient temp in the 90s. I had no issues at all regarding limp mode or power loss. Temps stayed normal as far as I could tell. I don't think that the GT PP has a transmission or diff cooler either, issues maybe be specific to the TR3160?
Or could be specific to the higher redline and nearly 100 extra HP?

SVTDSM

@Serpent_Stangs
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350R
The additional heat is not an issue with the 3160. It's simply the result of the higher rpm operation and more downforce/grip.

AMpowerJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 - Ordering ...
Anyone else think it's a bit stupid that a track-focused car can't run on the track without a specific optional pack.
No. Why would you expect Ford to make the non-track pack car run as well on the track as the track pack car? That would be stupid and would piss off all the people that bought the track pack. How hard is it to understand that if you want to track your car more than a few parade laps that you might want to purchase the options that Ford recommends for tracking your car? :doh:

Sponsored

gravedgr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
How many other high performance cars require a specific option package to run successfully in HPDE?

None that come from Germany and start with P or B.

50 Deep

Signature Wheel Ford Rep
Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.signaturewheel.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
I would rather the car limit itself, then let me blow it up. Ford made a track and R model for sustained track use, and has made it clear the non track models need additional cooling. The people that decided not to spend the extra cash to buy the track model for track use shouldn't be that surprised or upset.

AMpowerJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 - Ordering ...
How many other high performance cars require a specific option package to run successfully in HPDE?

None that come from Germany and start with P or B.
That really isn't relevant. Ford clearly gave all of us an option that wanted to track our cars with peace of mind. I too wish there had been an option to have all the coolers and the Sync3 but since there wasn't I took the safer approach to keep the components cool and modify the radio later.

All the BMWs I've had weren't really track ready either. They didn't overheat but the brakes were crap. I had to add a BBK to them. At least all the GT350 models have the same brakes that are track ready.

krt22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
And how many of those can hang with the GT350 time wise before they start to heat soak and fade the brakes? The price of entry is also much higher, there is no such thing as a free lunch

High HP high performance cars have issues with heat at the track, period. This is nothing new to Ford or any other manufacturer. If you want to go to the track, get the track pack or add a cooler per the manual

oregongt350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500 HE, 1967GT Fastback S code,
Check your owners manual there are at least a couple reasons why the car will go into limp mode. Are you aware that track time can possible void the warranty.
Michael
Oregon
Sponsored