Sponsored

Lightweight Wheels back on

Radiation Joe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost PP Manual Recaro
I finally switched over to the summer wheels and tires from my winter set-up and I'm just blown away. I just want to reiterate the huge difference light weight wheels make. I've got TSW Bathurst 18x9.5 wheels which are under 21 lbs each. That's a ten pound savings per corner over the performance package wheels. I made a point to go with light tires as well, but the quite good but much maligned Pirelli tires aren't any heavier than the Goodyears I put on. In the lower gears the car is noticeably more responsive and the tires can easily recover from bumps that caused the stock wheel/tire combination to skip. The ride is noticeably better/quieter than stock as well. This is one of the most under-rated mods you can perform.

full?d=1532202316.jpg
Sponsored

BlownGP

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steven
Vehicle(s)
Pontiac, Ford, Dodge
Yup, it makes a difference.

Getting rid of my stock 20" premium wheels was a nice change

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
Yeah, I regret not getting lighter wheels now. One of the things I ignored. Lighter wheels and tires would be a real nice change I bet.

Roadway 5.0

Strassejager
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016GT PP 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Well said and agree 100%. My summer wheels are 8lbs lighter each and the winter wheels are 10lbs lighter each. In both instances I can actually notice the suspension working faster -- it's great. Nice find on the super lightweight wheel btw, they look killer!

Yeah, I regret not getting lighter wheels now. One of the things I ignored. Lighter wheels and tires would be a real nice change I bet.
You have SVEs right? Those are pretty light (25lbs or so?) especially for the price point. Look good on your car too :beer:

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
You have SVEs right? Those are pretty light (25lbs or so?) especially for the price point. Look good on your car too :beer:
Thanks man! 27.5 lbs actually. I love the Drift wheels. They fit the car. The newer R357s (basically the Drift wheels but available in 19x11) are on my radar. 23.8 lbs. Of course if I run bigger tires for the 19x11 I suppose it may offset any gain from the lighter wheels.

But yeah, lighter weight wheels. Less taxing on the suspension and it can react quicker and easier.

whowasthat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT
i just installed the SVE S350s, and there around 24lbs. i noticed a difference right away
Sponsored