Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
I have been wondering why no one has not moved into these type of chassis structures with carbon fiber. The cf tube prices and availability has dropped into reality in the last decade.
The connection structures made from prepreg would not be prohibitive ($$) if the quantities could justify. The issue would be market analysis and cost trade study. I am purely speculating, but I would guess at a $sub2K price point.

I probably could answer my own question here - Getting the item sanctioned may be the hangup. Anyway just a thought from a retired aerospace materials guy.

Also, cf S550 front and rear bumper supports, etc., etc.
Too stiff, not impact resistant and reparability is expensive and complicated.

Dusten

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dusten
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang, 2001 Ford Lightning, 1968 Ford Mustang
Well Gt350 is 3760 from Ford Specs, If I had to guess the Gt500 will come in at 3950. I dont think they will put a 4 In front of the weight.
its going to weigh 4k+

Tom, as stated, it won't pass tech. Mild steel and chromoly are the only approved materials.
A Ti cage, would in theory weigh 57% of a chromoly cage based on difference in density.
But, the cost of material, and cost to fab would easily drive the cost to double or triple that of a chromoly cage.

is a 35lb weight savings worth it?

OP
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
its going to weigh 4k+

Tom, as stated, it won't pass tech. Mild steel and chromoly are the only approved materials.
A Ti cage, would in theory weigh 57% of a chromoly cage based on difference in density.
But, the cost of material, and cost to fab would easily drive the cost to double or triple that of a chromoly cage.

is a 35lb weight savings worth it?
Yes, just me thinking out loud. However a cromolly 4 pt cage would shave a lot off a mild steel version. I just went out to the garage and picked up the standard watson 4 pt cage.... it's heavy.

Dusten

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dusten
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang, 2001 Ford Lightning, 1968 Ford Mustang
I think you can shave a lot of weight that most won't. How much does the tire mobility kit weigh? Things like that will help
Lose an ounce in a hundred places, vice 100 ounces in 1 place, right?

Sponsored

OP
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
I think you can shave a lot of weight that most won't. How much does the tire mobility kit weigh? Things like that will help
Lose an ounce in a hundred places, vice 100 ounces in 1 place, right?
That, of course, goes without saying. Drain the windshield washer fluid, lithium battery, take the passenger seat out, etc. However the cage is one step back. The cost of safety in a near 4k pound car I guess

OP
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
Update, I am waiting to hear back from Watson Racing. They have expressed interest in producing a lighter weight 4pt cage that will be in the 60 to sub 60 pound range constructed from cromolly tubing. If you have an interest in a group buy, indicate here in this thread.

5.2 liters of democracy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shane
Vehicle(s)
2017 Avalanche Gray GT350
Update, I am waiting to hear back from Watson Racing. They have expressed interest in producing a lighter weight 4pt cage that will be in the 60 to sub 60 pound range constructed from cromolly tubing. If you have an interest in a group buy, indicate here in this thread.
I'm in.

baevid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Let me know too.. interested in pricing.

Sponsored

Demonic

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
@Tomster , when I bought my CMS roll bar made of Docol they were willing to make some minor custom tweaks based on questions I asked about the bar design. It might be worth asking them if they can make one for you with the downtubes going to same location at the Watson bar if that's your only concern with them.

OP
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
@Tomster , when I bought my CMS roll bar made of Docol they were willing to make some minor custom tweaks based on questions I asked about the bar design. It might be worth asking them if they can make one for you with the downtubes going to same location at the Watson bar if that's your only concern with them.
It is going to be a lightweight version of the same 4pt design. Cromolly tubing and thinner walls will bring the cage down to reasonable weights. I will go out to the garage tomorrow and weigh the DOM standard 4 pt cage and report the finings. To me, there is a big difference between 75# and something sub 60#.

Demonic

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
It is going to be a lightweight version of the same 4pt design. Cromolly tubing and thinner walls will bring the cage down to reasonable weights. I will go out to the garage tomorrow and weigh the DOM standard 4 pt cage and report the finings. To me, there is a big difference between 75# and something sub 60#.
Right, but what I'm saying is CMS is already making their bar out of Docol R8, at 52 lbs, and the material is now SFI/SCCA approved. If they're willing to make their bar for you with the rear downtubes going to the cross member instead of their standard location, as you'd prefer, that might be an easier solution for you vs getting Watson to make their bar out of a thinner Chromo. Pete at CMS was very communicative over PM, and even if you still decide to go with Watson, I figured it doesn't hurt to ask.

mmm635

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350R
Get the Watson and spend the extra money you would have on exotic materials and use it towards coaching...you will far outweigh the weight penalty from the cage with faster lap times. As mentioned in an earlier post, the rigidity it provides will help chassis dynamics and gain speed. Second, your balls will be bigger from being more confident you won't killed in an accident, thus leading to faster lap times in the monster.

OP
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
Get the Watson and spend the extra money you would have on exotic materials and use it towards coaching...you will far outweigh the weight penalty from the cage with faster lap times. As mentioned in an earlier post, the rigidity it provides will help chassis dynamics and gain speed. Second, your balls will be bigger from being more confident you won't killed in an accident, thus leading to faster lap times in the monster.
I already have a Watson 4 pt cage. I want a lighter weight version of the same thing.. save 20 pounds or so. It would make it worthwhile. As for the other brand cage, the attachment points are not the most structurally sound. For me, it's Watson or nothing.
Sponsored