Sponsored

Lightweight (42 Pounds!) Watson 4 point Roll Cage Group Buy

V00D00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500
I just took the Watson roll cage out of one of my R models in preparation of trading it in for the new GT500 CFTP. That thing weighs a ton. I could put it on the scale, but its probably every bit of 75 pounds.

I called Watson and asked if they make such a thing out of titanium. No was the answer. I understand the strength of steel, but 75 pounds on top of what the GT500 is going to weigh is a lot.

Does anyone know of a manufacturer who specialized in high strength lightweight roll cages. The Watson bolt in design is outstanding, it just weights a lot.
send the car to Jason Schmuck / Schmuckbuilt

He does all sort of custom jobs. his fit and finish is 2nd to none. If anyone can do it, he can

Hi-PO Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Shelby GT500
I would think the structural rigidity created by the roll bar would greatly improve the handling of the GT500 that 75 pounds of added weight would be okay.

obspsd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keller
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Auto Ruby Red
No roll bar for me, I like taking people for rides.

Sponsored

JT1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
The roll bar conundrum...

These cars (both GT350s and GT500 and probably any V-8 modern Mustang) are really too fast to be on track with without a hans and full harness, which to me means a roll bar. (yes i know about Schroth et al)...

But the point of these cars with all their creature comforts and as fun as they are to drive, is to be street cars too...

Each time I buy one I get caught up in adding whatever makes it a better track car makes, which then makes it a worse street car. I generally go more and more track until I decide i went too far, then sell it, buy a new one and start over.

xXANCHORMONXx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack

These cars (both GT350s and GT500 and probably any V-8 modern Mustang) are really too fast to be on track with without a hans and full harness, which to me means a roll bar. (yes i know about Schroth et al)...

But the point of these cars with all their creature comforts and as fun as they are to drive, is to be street cars too...

Each time I buy one I get caught up in adding whatever makes it a better track car makes, which then makes it a worse street car. I generally go more and more track until I decide i went too far, then sell it, buy a new one and start over.
Same same, one reason why I haven’t swapped to coilovers on mine yet. At that point I’ll hate it on the street.

V00D00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500

I agree, and same thing, build, sell, build sell. but I PROMISE I wont go voerboard on this one.

But the street legalese is why people are turning to roll racing events. same thrill as drag racing, but easier on the car, no expensive or invasive tech, and legal

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro

I would always install the roll bar for my track day and then pop it back out afterwards. Problem solved.

OP
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
I would always install the roll bar for my track day and then pop it back out afterwards. Problem solved.
Yes, but its the weight. I cant believe that in this day and age there isn't a lighter alternative. I'll reach out to Watson and speak with engineering. Maybe they can make a cromolly 4 pt. The cromolly 6 pt cage weighs just about the same as a 4 pt. Deleting the side bars could save 20 pounds or so. Otherwise, I could buy a 6 pt and remove the attachment points for the side bars and get it refinished. 50 pounds is a hell of a lot less than 70.

I'll see what they say.

Sponsored

sigintel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
High speed wheel/tire failures, off surface sideways, attrition, ...
If you have ever been in a high speed rollover or destroyed a vehicle in limit testing, a roll over at speed requires an incredible amount of energy be absorbed by the 100# cage attached to a 4000# heap of metal trying to flail you around and kill you.
Look at some cages post wreck. You simply need that ductile limit performance of roll cage spec steels.

Alternatives:
FP350S
FP500S
Or, monocoque construction at $$$ engineering cost.

Edit* Congrats on GT500!

OP
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Yes, and that is exactly the question I plan to ask the folks at Watson racing. The 6pt cage is constructed of lighter materials. If the 4pt can be made with some weight reduction, I would be interested. We will see.

RubberFeet

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stewart
Vehicle(s)
S550
I have been wondering why no one has not moved into these type of chassis structures with carbon fiber. The cf tube prices and availability has dropped into reality in the last decade.
The connection structures made from prepreg would not be prohibitive ($$) if the quantities could justify. The issue would be market analysis and cost trade study. I am purely speculating, but I would guess at a $sub2K price point.

I probably could answer my own question here - Getting the item sanctioned may be the hangup. Anyway just a thought from a retired aerospace materials guy.

Also, cf S550 front and rear bumper supports, etc., etc.

5.2 liters of democracy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shane
Vehicle(s)
2017 Avalanche Gray GT350
Yes, and that is exactly the question I plan to ask the folks at Watson racing. The 6pt cage is constructed of lighter materials. If the 4pt can be made with some weight reduction, I would be interested. We will see.
If Watson returns with something along the lines of "Get XX buyers to commit and it can be done" count me in.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Yes, but its the weight. I cant believe that in this day and age there isn't a lighter alternative. I'll reach out to Watson and speak with engineering. Maybe they can make a cromolly 4 pt. The cromolly 6 pt cage weighs just about the same as a 4 pt. Deleting the side bars could save 20 pounds or so. Otherwise, I could buy a 6 pt and remove the attachment points for the side bars and get it refinished. 50 pounds is a hell of a lot less than 70.

I'll see what they say.
I'm sure if you talk to enough people you will find some options out there. Good luck.
Sponsored