Sponsored

Let's talk about the C8 vs the GT500

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost convertible
Vehicle Showcase
It was carryover in that it should have been making plenty more power for a V8. 300 was only OK.
The 3 valve 4.6 was not a carry over and 40 more hp than the previous end is a big gain in power.
Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
I get that improvement for improvement sake, especially without cost constraints is not realistic but I find it abhorrent that Ford is run by management that is perfectly fine phoning it in and delivering a far substandard product because they can get away with it in the marketplace of fan boys who won't call them out.

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
The 3 valve 4.6 was not a carry over and 40 more hp than the previous end is a big gain in power.
The cheap heads.

It was still much the same little bitty 4.6 from 1994. they could have and should have done a 4v with well over 300, which was the minimum they could have shipped with and sold - and which they had in previous versions of the 4.6 in the NA Mach 1 and NA Cobra models.

Ford launched a weak car that sold based on "the feels" of the retro style. It was a CHEAP way for Ford to make decent money on each Mustang sold.

It took the Camaro coming back to life in order to upgrade the platform and powertrain.

But that meant spending money - and by then, the Camaro was eating the Mustang's lunch in terms of sales - so Ford HAD to upgrade - and then Ford was whooping the Camaro in performance, but it was a little late to regain consumer excitement.

We can argue semantics, but we don't need to. The point is that the S197 platform was a cheap way for Ford to make money off of the Mustang fanbase. For the people who loved the retro thing (and there were a ton of them), this car hit the spot at a decent price point. It wasn't meant to be a world-beater and it wasn't one... UNTIL the competition lit a fire under Ford and they responded by upgrading the platform to perform superior to the competition.

Man, sometimes you just wish there was a Colletti to keep pushing - regardless of what the competition does. I mean, the Terminator was insane. supercharged, IRS, etc. It was awesome. And there was no Camaro around to push it. It was just the Ford Performance (SVT) guys doing what they loved. And a legend was born. Would love to see that happening at regular intervals instead of reactionary development so often.

That said, the new GT500 seems to be a labor of love in every way. Can't wait for it to hit,.

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
I get that improvement for improvement sake, especially without cost constraints is not realistic but I find it abhorrent that Ford is run by management that is perfectly fine phoning it in and delivering a far substandard product because they can get away with it in the marketplace of fan boys who won't call them out.
Pretty much this.

The S197 was a way for Ford to do exactly that. It took a sales nosedive to give the guys who actually cared the freedom to do what they loved to do.

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
But it was a “big” gain from V6 levels of power.

Putting out power that was less than the 3 years dead Camaro and Firebird was horrible and therefore carried over the anemic status of the engine. It was the cheap route and Ford did the minimum necessary to sell the car.

And using the 3V heads was a way to cheap out of 4v.

Everything was carryover, including anemic levels of power.

Sponsored

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost convertible
Vehicle Showcase
But it was a “big” gain from V6 levels of power.

Putting out power that was less than the 3 years dead Camaro and Firebird was horrible and therefore carried over the anemic status of the engine. It was the cheap route and Ford did the minimum necessary to sell the car.

And using the 3V heads was a way to cheap out of 4v.

Everything was carryover, including anemic levels of power.
Know it all.jpg

3star2nr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT PP
What do you guys think after the reveal of the C8? How are these cars going to match up around a track and on the strip in your opinion? As the GT500 has more horsepower and still has a DCT but the gt500 has a 7 speed whereas the vette has an 8 speed DCT etc. I still want to know weight of both cars etc. What do you guys think? The price shocked me!
The GT500 and the corvette shouldnt be compared...

They are radically different cars. The corvette is basically a Ferrari at this point. And with that will come the maintenance and practicality of a ferrari in an untested platform developed by GM... The same GM that loves cutting corners and being arrogant about fixing problems when they get called out... The only reason the C7 was "reliable" was because GM basically built the same car for the last 30 year's... With essentially a bodykit And upgraded engine from year to year... they literally just fixed known issues that plagued the platform for years.

The GT500 is essentially just a supercharged GT350. It's not radically different from the 350s. So if you like the 350 now chances are you'll dig the gt500. The other advantage of that is the chassis at this point is pretty well sorted, issues well documented so ford will likely resolve a lot of the issues on it prior to u taking delivery.

Sure it will have its own issues, all new cars do but I'd expect that car to be way more reliable, comfortable, easy to work on and practical than the vette.

The only counter point is tge transmission on the gt500. I think ford really fucked up ditching the manual the gt350 has. And I would strongly advice anyone buying one to wait for the 6 speed. DCT is absolute garbage in the long run... No exceptions. And for regular driving in traffic your going to tear up that tranny and torch it in a few thousand miles... Ask lambos, and BMW owners about that...

Interms of racetrack performance both will be very capable. So its largely irrelevant to compare them. Id expect the corvette to be faster... On a track.

Both will be horrible to insure and maintain, the corvette will be way way worse.

Resale value on both will be strong, the corvette will likely be way better.

Aftermarket support on both will be good.

If given a choice between both id personally choose the GT350... wait 3 years and let the suckers deal with the teething issues, and buy the inevitable revamp of both.

3star2nr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT PP
Plus if you havent owned a midengine or rear engine car before its a massive difference. The handling is unbelievably good. But even the simplest jobs on one of those cars becomes a freaking greek tragedy sized disaster.

A clutch job for instance on a gt350 will take you about 6 hours to a day to do, a clutch job on a mid engine anything means dropping the entire rear subframe...

Or supporting the motor and lifti,g the body off the engine. Good luck doing that in your drive way...

If you are getting either get the manual, you will thank me in the long run.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

ALUSA

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
AL
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GTPP, 2017 Cadillac CTS 2.0T AWD
Last night enjoyed the track video of the C8 driven by Matt Farah! He didn’t talk much just the engine and exhaust noise. I m not entirely trilled by the way car sounded on the inside. It may be the mics but it wasn’t really thrilling. Handling and the shifting on the other hand, ohh man, the car was fast everywhere. I have no doubt the highpo model ZO6 is going to beat the track records and bury the exotic supercars. The Zora or the ZR1 model will attend their funeral. Lets leave it at that.

Laststandard

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Vehicle Showcase

Does sound a bit disappointing. My NPP exhaust was more aggressive than that. But yeah, those shifts are fast.

I really dislike how tucked in the rear wheel is / bulbous rear fender. The front 3/4 shots always show that and my eye goes straight to how that rear wheel is hiding in there. It's the one thing that kills the design for me. Hopefully it's better in person.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
talk about shifting early...
Seems like it could stand some help in road adhesion too - the MR shocks perhaps.

ed. nevermind. Driver's first time on that track and first session with car.

ALUSA

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
AL
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GTPP, 2017 Cadillac CTS 2.0T AWD

Does sound a bit disappointing. My NPP exhaust was more aggressive than that. But yeah, those shifts are fast.

I really dislike how tucked in the rear wheel is / bulbous rear fender. The front 3/4 shots always show that and my eye goes straight to how that rear wheel is hiding in there. It's the one thing that kills the design for me. Hopefully it's better in person.
I think they designed it that way to avoid wide body kit when they go for the ZO6 and ZR1 versions a 335’s or even 355’s can fit in there. It does look weird i agree. The wheels overall look little out of place on this car especially with the black rims.

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra

I think it’s just the angle.

the guy looked like he wasn’t really attacking the track. Seemed to be just for seeing the car move and hearing the engine (which wasn’t that exciting). The car DOES impress by its flatness and stability on rough portions of pavement. That was a pretty easygoing track though.
Sponsored