Let's talk about the C8 vs the GT500

ALUSA

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
AL
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GTPP, 2017 Cadillac CTS 2.0T AWD
In a straight line. Not around a track, despite the results of the flawwed MT test.

New tires for the GT350R are easily worth a second oer lap, well above the 0.39 difference between the ZL1s new tire and the GT350Rs worn out tires.
Show me the same day same driver comparison, even though it is flawed? Where is the proof?
Next.
Sponsored

Moogatwo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ZL1 M6
I think you need to pay more attention to those reviews.

Head to head Motortrend's professional reviewers said that they would rather have the GT350R than either the ZL1 or ZL1 1LE.

Matt Farah said the same thing.

Savage Geese review also prefers the GT350R.

Can you give me a professional automobile reviewer that compared the ZL1 and/or ZL1 1LE to the GT350R and preferred the Chevy?

Oh - some bonus content for you - generally reviewers also preferred the Hellcat widebody over the Camaro.

Sales of the three also show which platform people in general prefer as Camaro is falling farther and farther behind even though it's been redesigned more recently.

Not a professional journalist or YouTube millennial influencer. I've now owned both. Hate to say it is so, but I do like the ZL1 a little better. No troll, I 100% understand I am in the minority on this.

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10speed Aluminator Whippled
Not a professional journalist or YouTube millennial influencer. I've now owned both. Hate to say it is so, but I do like the ZL1 a little better. No troll, I 100% understand I am in the minority on this.
gt500 is going to absolutely decimate both zl1 gt350r, and the C8

JohnnyUtah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 M4 Comp, 2019 Silverado
gt500 is going to absolutely decimate both zl1 gt350r, and the C8
I certainly hope it would beat any Camaro with the price tag, additional HP, and development time. It would be a pretty big failure if it didn't.

Will be interesting to see how it fares against the ZL1 1LE. Straight line shouldn't be much of a competition, but road course will be interesting.

Sponsored

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Seems some of you peeps forget that lightweight high-performance vehicles have spoilers and other add-ons that produce extra downforce to provide more grip for the vehicle. So weight per say does have some advantages.

Stuntman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
many
Seems some of you peeps forget that lightweight high-performance vehicles have spoilers and other add-ons that produce extra downforce to provide more grip for the vehicle. So weight per say does have some advantages.
Please elaborate on this. How does additional vehicle weight have any benefits?

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Please elaborate on this. How does additional vehicle weight have any benefits?
How does downforce have any benefits? Same principle. Essentially, the generation of downforce is the way that allows for the car to in layman's terms be heavier than it actually is, which increases traction without the bad stuff that comes with an increased weight. And by bad stuff, hauling around extra weight which limits acceleration and top speed. Some supercars come in 2 basic varieties.. aero (downforce) package, and top speed packages. aero packages are generally slower to accelerate, and slower top end speed.

Stuntman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
many
How does downforce have any benefits? Same principle. Essentially, the generation of downforce is the way that allows for the car to in layman's terms be heavier than it actually is, which increases traction without the bad stuff that comes with an increased weight. And by bad stuff, hauling around extra weight which limits acceleration and top speed. Some supercars come in 2 basic varieties.. aero (downforce) package, and top speed packages. aero packages are generally slower to accelerate, and slower top end speed.
Not exactly. Downforce adds a vertical "normal" force on a tire, increasing grip since the tire does not have to bear the extra load to accelerate (in acceleration, braking, or cornering) the additional mass.

Adding weight adds a vertical force but the benefit from the increased vertical load is more than offset by the reduction in the tractive ability of the tire (reduced grip) from having to carry the additional load.

Downforce is "free" load and improves grip when accelerating, braking and cornering, the only negative is drag but far more time is gained in braking and cornering than is lost on the straights from increased drag.

Adding weight hurts performance. PERIOD. If it was the same as adding downforce, then adding weight would make cars go faster (since there is no drag), but it does not.

I think theh engineer of the Nissan GTR made this claim, which if true (and not a misinterpretation from the translator), would be completely absurd.

Sponsored

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
then adding weight would make cars go faster, but it does not
Right. Example for adding downforce:
F1 car = 1,415 lbs wet weight - Downforce of a F1 car at full boogy 4245 lbs and needs 1000 hp to get 230 mph. At 80 mph the downforce equals the weight of the car. No aero package for downforce prolly 310 mph with zero cornering ability at any decent speed.

Stuntman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
many
Right. Example for adding downforce:
F1 car = 1,415 lbs wet weight - Downforce of a F1 car at full boogy 4245 lbs and needs 1000 hp to get 230 mph. At 80 mph the downforce equals the weight of the car. No aero package for downforce prolly 310 mph with zero cornering ability at any decent speed.
Adding weight (making the static weight of a car heavier -with lead for example) is NOT the same as adding downforce. For reasons I just stated. :facepalm:

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Adding weight (making the static weight of a car heavier -with lead for example) is NOT the same as adding downforce. For reasons I just stated. :facepalm:
OMG LMFAO. I'm out.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
OMG LMFAO. I'm out.
Anybody interested PM me. I'm giving 3 to 1 odds he's not out. Hoping to hear from you before the smart money giving 100 to 1 odds get all the action.