Sponsored

Let's talk about the C8 vs the GT500

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Tomorrow Chevrolet will officially release pricing for C8. Leaked information I have seen today shows that the 1LT trim will be $59,995. No big surprise there. It also indicates that Z51 option will remain priced at $5,000. The same as the C7 price for Z51. Which means that it is possible to order a $65k C8 Z51 that clicks 0-60 under 3s.

2LT will list at $67,295 and 3LT at $71,945. If I were ordering today (Iā€™m not) Iā€™d order a 3LT + Z51 and other options, so my car would option out at right around $80k before applying my discount. Discount is probably not available at launch, but Iā€™m not buying at launch, so.....

Iā€™ll wait long enough to decide whether Iā€™m good with a Stingray 3LT / Z51 or whether Iā€™d pop for whatever the Grand Sport trim comes in at.
Sponsored

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost convertible
Vehicle Showcase
Iā€™ll wait long enough to decide whether Iā€™m good with a Stingray 3LT / Z51 or whether Iā€™d pop for whatever the Grand Sport trim comes in at.
Alphabet soup and sporty names what will gm come up with next :giggle:

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
Tomorrow Chevrolet will officially release pricing for C8. Leaked information I have seen today shows that the 1LT trim will be $59,995. No big surprise there. It also indicates that Z51 option will remain priced at $5,000. The same as the C7 price for Z51. Which means that it is possible to order a $65k C8 Z51 that clicks 0-60 under 3s.

2LT will list at $67,295 and 3LT at $71,945. If I were ordering today (Iā€™m not) Iā€™d order a 3LT + Z51 and other options, so my car would option out at right around $80k before applying my discount. Discount is probably not available at launch, but Iā€™m not buying at launch, so.....

Go big or go home. ZO6.

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Confirmed: Far right column has the price and details for the Z51 package. Not the $10 - 15k that some suggested. $5k. Just like C7. Just like I said it might be.

CB96C761-996E-4A0C-8A4D-FFCBD2749BB0.jpeg

Sponsored

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Go big or go home. ZO6.
I hear ya. But I still have to do a cost / value evaluation. When I got my convertible SS I could have gotten a convertible ZL1, BUT...

1. The difference in insurance premiums would have funded another vehicle lease
  2. Even though I do take my car to the strip and the track, I would very rarely use all the additional power
  3. I got totally hooked on the Fifty package which was not available for ZL1
Iā€™m pretty sure I will be leaning towards Grand Sport or Z06, but it will come down to how much more $$ they are than 3LT Z51. That configuration appears to have the right level of performance for me. Hopefully Iā€™ll find out more about the expected track performance in a couple hours.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Nobody with 2 brain cells takes their car to the track with performance intent while equipped with OE tires no matter what 'grade' they might be. I like to run around on a variety of tire types because I'm more interested in learning the limits of my equipment and skill, rather than setting lap records.

Anyone buying a high performance car with delusions of track grandeur can trivially afford no less than a second set of wheels and multiple sets of appropriate tires.
The question was whether the C8 or GT500 will be quicker on track. If you want to replace the tires on the C8 so it can be faster, then you aren't really comparing the two.

It is possible to just get the Z51 option and that version of the C8 should be better on track. But probably you are going to want additional options like mag ride. Many on the C8 forum say you really want mag ride because it has made a huge difference in the C7. You may also want better seats for track use than the base seats. And many people are going to want to step up from the base interior package. That's the thing - some fanbois want to pretend that the base price C8 has all the features to beat the GT500 on the track. I would be very surprised if that turns out to be true.

And in the past the Grand Sport has been the better choice for track duty if you are going to spend time there.

It should be interesting to find out more about the C8 models as time goes on and what the cost will be of the C8 version that will challenge the GT500.

ALUSA

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
AL
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GTPP, 2017 Cadillac CTS 2.0T AWD

Squrtcap

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Raptor, GT350
The C8 price release coupled with the price of the GT500 makes the GT350R the Best Buy for a pure driving and tracking car in 2020. It may be more rare and desirable than any other car in my opinion.

Sponsored

ALUSA

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
AL
Vehicle(s)
The C8 price release coupled with the price of the GT500 makes the GT350R the Best Buy for a pure driving and tracking car in 2020. It may be more rare and desirable than any other car in my opinion.
You are kidding right? Please say you are joking! How many people do you think will pay premium and ADM for a slower car just to have something rare? Problem with the GT350R is that its not just dealing with the C8 Corvette but a Camaro SS 1LE, Camaro ZL1 and Camaro ZL1/1LE as well.

It got alot harder for the GT350 R in my opinion.

Squrtcap

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Raptor, GT350
You are kidding right? Please say you are joking!
A fully optioned LT2 will cost about $93,000 at MSRP. That is not a joke. Ford is producing less than 1000 GT350R in 2020MY and it is race ready. I do not like automatic transmission in a sport car and time will tell which is the most desirable for the resale values.

ALUSA

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
AL
Vehicle(s)
A fully optioned LT2 will cost about $93,000 at MSRP. That is not a joke. Ford is producing less than 1000 GT350R in 2020MY and it is race ready. I do not like automatic transmission in a sport car and time will tell which is the most desirable for the resale values.
If someone is going for a fully loaded one, its their choice. A base GT350R is even more stripped down in luxury than a 1LT Z51 C8. If someone wants luxury sports car, GT350R won't even be in their list. You can only compare the GT350R to 1lt Z51 C8.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
How many people do you think will pay premium and ADM for a slower car just to have something rare?
Ford marketing put their finger in the fetid Detroit air and came up with 1300'ish/year. I expect very, very few people who are in the market for a SS1+1LE vs 350/R care which one is "faster" on the spec sheet in some metric or another.

Now 350/R vs C8+Z51+Magneride, that might come down to some abstract assessment of one performance metric over another. Or more likely some combination of "exclusivity", carbon wheels, engine song, brand allegiance, new technology, etc. Should Ford offer 350/R in similar production rates as the C8 spec'd above, then there might be an actual sales battle.

If the carbon fiber wheels is a key factor, some prodding and Carbon Revolution will likely make you a set. They have a C6+Z06 fitment, so a C8 isn't impossible. And they have fitments for a lot of the similar price-point cars.

Last edited:

ALUSA

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
AL
Vehicle(s)
Ford marketing put their finger in the fetid Detroit air and came up with 1300'ish/year. I expect very, very few people who are in the market for a SS1+1LE vs 350/R care which one is "faster" on the spec sheet in some metric or another.

Now 350/R vs C8+Z51+Magneride, that might come down to some abstract assessment of one performance metric over another. Or more likely some combination of "exclusivity", carbon wheels, engine song, brand allegiance, new technology, etc. Should Ford offer 350/R in similar production rates as the C8 spec'd above, then there might be an actual sales battle.
Ford doesn't care about the sales for the GT350 and GT350R anyway. They sell regular mustangs like hot cakes. Mustang GT is still the best bang for the buck. Most people look for performance per price point since money doesn't grow on trees. GT350 becomes even less and less desirable with the current competition offerings. Ford won't budge as long as they have the regular mustang sales.
Sponsored