Sponsored

LED Headlight ?

psg

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stu
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP1, GMC Sierra Denali 6.2l, Lotus Super 7, Aprilia Tuono 1100 RR, BMW HP2S. BMW 750LiX
Just bought a 2018 GT PP1,love it. All the Ford literature says the '18s+ have LED headlights, but they look like HID projector lights to me. Are there really LEDs in there (hi and lo) or D3S HIDs like earlier Mustangs? Tried searching but no luck.
Stu
Sponsored

Pero

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pero
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Fastback Ingot Silver MT82 MagneRide B&O
I have MY2019 GT PP1 and headlights are definitely LED (even if they look like HID).

And this is information from MY2018 MUSTANG Owner’s Manual (you can download it from Ford Canada site and check page 247):

Headlamps LED
Front park and Direction indicators LED
Front sidemarker LED
Front fog lamp LED
Rear lamp, brake lamp and direction Indicator lamp LED
Rear sidemarker 194
High-mount brake lamp LED
Backup lamp 3156 or 3157
License plate lamp LED
Dome and Map lamp W5W
Glove box and Cargo lamp W5W

So there are really LEDs in there!

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
I have MY2019 GT PP1 and headlights are definitely LED (even if they look like HID).

And this is information from MY2018 MUSTANG Owner’s Manual (you can download it from Ford Canada site and check page 247):

Headlamps LED
Front park and Direction indicators LED
Front sidemarker LED
Front fog lamp LED
Rear lamp, brake lamp and direction Indicator lamp LED
Rear sidemarker 194
High-mount brake lamp LED
Backup lamp 3156 or 3157
License plate lamp LED
Dome and Map lamp W5W
Glove box and Cargo lamp W5W

So there are really LEDs in there!

It’s amazing that Ford would not convert the rear side markers to LEDs, especially since 90% of the exterior lights are LEDs.

Trunk light is also LED (not in that list).

I’m surprised that it says the rear back up lamp is not LED; mine is so bright (brighter than my prior 2016) that I could swear it’s also LED... ?!? Is that correct that the back up is not LED?

NFG19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang GT PP1
I have people flashing their lights even tho I’m on dim lol! They don’t want the brights! :devil:

Interceptor

Daily Driver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 California Special A10
I have people flashing their lights even tho I’m on dim lol! They don’t want the brights! :devil:

The new lights are really hard on commercial vehicle operators since most commercial vehicles do not have tinted mirrors like autos, I turn my mirrors down to my tires and use my spot for checking traffic.

Then you add that some or out of adjustment from factory, or they have luggage and people in rear seats so headlights then become high. Then you have the 4x4 crowd that thinks it cool to run lights like a 747 at O'hare, it isn't. There are the drivers that just leave them on bright all the time cause they can, thanks for that.

FYI if you ever are behind a commercial vehicle in the left lane and they move over to the left lane in front of you, its probably because your lights are on bright and are blinding them. Thanks, I'm done venting.

Sponsored

NFG19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang GT PP1
The new lights are really hard on commercial vehicle operators since most commercial vehicles do not have tinted mirrors like autos, I turn my mirrors down to my tires and use my spot for checking traffic.

Then you add that some or out of adjustment from factory, or they have luggage and people in rear seats so headlights then become high. Then you have the 4x4 crowd that thinks it cool to run lights like a 747 at O'hare, it isn't. There are the drivers that just leave them on bright all the time cause they can, thanks for that.

FYI if you ever are behind a commercial vehicle in the left lane and they move over to the left lane in front of you, its probably because your lights are on bright and are blinding them. Thanks, I'm done venting.
It’s always cars in the oncoming lane it sucks cause they blind me! I’m only use my brights for the backroads where deer are bad! I’ve literally had them run into the side of my car.

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
The 18+ are LEDs using a projector housing for a brighter, more focused, beam. HIDs are good, but LEDs are powerful too!

OP
OP

psg

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stu
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP1, GMC Sierra Denali 6.2l, Lotus Super 7, Aprilia Tuono 1100 RR, BMW HP2S. BMW 750LiX
The 18+ are LEDs using a projector housing for a brighter, more focused, beam. HIDs are good, but LEDs are powerful too!
Cheers everyone, thanks for the feedback, now I know!
Stu

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Mustang V8 GT, Ford Kuga PHEV
In Europe HID's must have auto height adjustment and headlamp washers. LED's must have automatic height adjusters, so unless the static positioning is wrong they should never glare oncoming vehicles.

That isn't to say the blue / white light of LED's in particular doesn't cause some people problems

Pero

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pero
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Fastback Ingot Silver MT82 MagneRide B&O
It’s amazing that Ford would not convert the rear side markers to LEDs, especially since 90% of the exterior lights are LEDs.

I’m surprised that it says the rear back up lamp is not LED; mine is so bright (brighter than my prior 2016) that I could swear it’s also LED... ?!? Is that correct that the back up is not LED?
Check this video at 0:44, showing 2018 Mustang Diode Dynamics LED reverse light bulb installation for US and Canadian spec Mustang. It's definitely not LED.

Sponsored

VBWRRVBWRR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium

Back-up lamp for sure uses a regular bulb from factory.

3star2nr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT PP
Just bought a 2018 GT PP1,love it. All the Ford literature says the '18s+ have LED headlights, but they look like HID projector lights to me. Are there really LEDs in there (hi and lo) or D3S HIDs like earlier Mustangs? Tried searching but no luck.
Stu
They switched over to led on the 18+ cars you guys are so damn lucky lol. LEDs are vastly superior and should last ypu over 10 years...

My d3s bulbs only lasted 3 years and the dealer wanted to charge me 200.00 per bulb just in parts to swap them..

Warranty didn't cover it becausecits a "wear and tear" item. Despite the fact that osrams website says the bulbs should last 6 years...

Luckily Retrofitsource. Had great prices on replacements so I swapped to the osram CBI 5500k bulbs for 150 for the set. They arent as good as the originals especially in low light because of the higher color temp but they do a good job in pitch black conditions.

rangerryda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium A10
Vehicle Showcase
This may be a dead thread but I've had to turn my factory adjustments down half a turn (2019 GT). They're not always adjusted properly from the factory. Mine were definitely high.
Sponsored