FR IC JLT CAI ATP DP Meth INJ Cobb Tune FR ABs
Anybody else here lease and modding?
Sponsored

sleepless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Premium Guard flavored
That seems like a poor choice. What's the penalty for modification?

TurboMetal

Deadlift or Die.
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2017 F-150 5.0
I probably will after I drive it stock for a while. Gonna have to check the paperwork to see what it says about modding. If I know I'm gonna keep the car after the lease is up, it won't matter anyway.

KingofPubs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost Premium MT
Also leasing, I'd probably stick to bolt-ons or anything that can be returned to stock for any warranty issues/end of lease.

Personally I'd just keep it stock, isn't worth the money from depreciation of mods. I did however get a OTS Tune which was enough for me, although I'm itching to get an exhaust :)

TJP719

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium AT
I'm leasing but I'm going to buy it after the lease is up. Otherwise I wouldn't consider modding. Only thing I'm concerned with is warranty, I can't install anything myself so I brought it today to a local mechanic to get an estimate. He said he'd do it he's just concerned about the dealership screwing me over if something were to go wrong. Kinda rained on my parade a little bit lol.

Sponsored

dabsevo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Black
If I get a tune, I'm going to go with a the Ford Racing tune, which would be the case whether I lease or buy. It's for the warranty.

nothing else ..unless there's something substantially higher than a nice tune, it's staying stock. Not doing anything that's not reversible unless I know for sure I'm keeping the car.

Over 50% of bmws are leases and those guys are modding it all. But still have to consider not to do anything permanent.

I'll probably not touch the car for the first year or two no matter what. after 2 years I'll have a good idea on market value for private party and compare it with my residual on my lease contract.

SDboostinpony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Will
Vehicle(s)
2015 Metallic Guard Mustang Ecoboost
I'm leasing my Ecoboost mustang. So far I have the MMR intake and I removed my mufflers, both can be replaced before returning the car if I don't buy it...btw my first post on here woohoo

93calypso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 2.3 mustang, 93 2.3 mustang lx
Same here^ except I went with maperformance intake and did axle back deletes with 4" black tips. Easy enough to have changed back to stock. Don't think I'll tune it but I'd love to.

TJP719

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium AT
I spoke to one of my friends who works at the dealership and he doesnt really know much about cars admittedly so he asked a couple of guys there who have modded their cars on leases. They told him that Roush exhausts don't void the warranty or something to that effect. Basically go with Roush and ill be okay. I fail to see how that makes any sense though.

I do suppose one option is returning everything to stock if something goes wrong...

Billy G

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Guard Metallic PP Ordered: 1/23/15
I'm leasing and I plan to add a CoBB AP, intake and DP. All of which can be taken off and either used on my next mustang or sold on ebay. A lot of this depends on your dealer. If you're not sure on something like this, talk to your service manager and tell him what you would like to do. He should give you a straight answer. Some dealerships don't mind "bolt-on" modifications.....
I'm trading in a car (VW) that has been flashed and the dealer told me just make sure it's back to stock before I bring it in. I believe it will be sold as a certified car. It's a 2013 with 17,000 on the clock.

No big deal ;)

PS - I see a few of you guys are from CA. I believe you have much more strict laws regarding modifications out there.....

Sponsored

Lord Thunder

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Erwin
Vehicle(s)
2015 RR GT Mustang
In Europe, leasing a car means no modifications allowed, not even a tune. Regardless if you want to buy the car afterwards. (Which you really don't want as you'd be better off buying the car new or an equally aged second-hand.)

JimmyTwoTimes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
Yeah, you can get hit up with some HEAVY fees if you modify a leased car... that's a definite breach of the lease agreement. Don't people read their lease agreements before they sign them?

Billy G

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
Yeah, you can get hit up with some HEAVY fees if you modify a leased car... that's a definite breach of the lease agreement. Don't people read their lease agreements before they sign them?
Couldn't agree with you more, however without getting into a big bru-ha-ha regarding modifications and warranties, if you want to play you must be willing to "pay" so to speak. Personally (and I emphasize personally) I've NEVER had a problem bringing any of my modified cars in for warranty service. I can truthfully say that they've all been tuned and had intakes added. Even some with DP's. As long as the problem doesn't encompass something I modified, I was OK. They can't turn you away and say they're not going to fix your window motor because you added a CAI! If they do, FIND ANOTHER DEALER. If, however, you've changed turbos, cams or any internals, IT'S ON YOU BROTHER, lease or not!
Sooo, at the end of the day, it's all about what you feel comfortable with. The tunes that are available today from the leading producers are pretty darn safe for your car. After all, if they weren't the company wouldn't be in business very long....

I'm just sayin.......

JimmyTwoTimes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
Couldn't agree with you more, however without getting into a big bru-ha-ha regarding modifications and warranties, if you want to play you must be willing to "pay" so to speak. Personally (and I emphasize personally) I've NEVER had a problem bringing any of my modified cars in for warranty service. I can truthfully say that they've all been tuned and had intakes added. Even some with DP's. As long as the problem doesn't encompass something I modified, I was OK. They can't turn you away and say they're not going to fix your window motor because you added a CAI! If they do, FIND ANOTHER DEALER. If, however, you've changed turbos, cams or any internals, IT'S ON YOU BROTHER, lease or not!
Sooo, at the end of the day, it's all about what you feel comfortable with. The tunes that are available today from the leading producers are pretty darn safe for your car. After all, if they weren't the company wouldn't be in business very long....

I'm just sayin.......
Right, and warranty work on a modded car you OWN is a different story... but a leased car isn't yours. It's a rented car. Modifying it is like going to Avis and renting a Mustang and throwing a supercharger on it and then expecting to be able to return it with no issues. When you lease a car, it's not your car.

Billy G

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
Right, and warranty work on a modded car you OWN is a different story... but a leased car isn't yours. It's a rented car. Modifying it is like going to Avis and renting a Mustang and throwing a supercharger on it and then expecting to be able to return it with no issues. When you lease a car, it's not your car.
You must have had a bad experience with a leased car, no?
Sponsored