Sponsored

Leak from rear view mirror

Jack4Mach1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
I've had my Mach 1 for a few years.

In attached pic, in the red rectangle, you can see there is some sort of oil slowly leaking from below the rear view mirror.

I've had this happen twice before, and each time taken it to local Ford shop, who have replaced some sensor in the mirror. Then there is no leak for a while, but then it seems to start again.

My car spends most of it's time in a garage, so is very rarely parked in hot sun.

Any others had this happen to their Mach 1 or Mustang ?

2023-M1-Rear-view-mirror-leak-2.jpg
Sponsored

CS19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
Yes, my 2019 GT/CS is on its 3rd rain sensor. It only starts leaking when in the garage over the Winter but then continus in warmer weather. Cold temperatures start it.

Crew4991

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Crew
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang, 2006 Viper
I've had my Mach 1 for a few years.

In attached pic, in the red rectangle, you can see there is some sort of oil slowly leaking from below the rear view mirror.

I've had this happen twice before, and each time taken it to local Ford shop, who have replaced some sensor in the mirror. Then there is no leak for a while, but then it seems to start again.

My car spends most of it's time in a garage, so is very rarely parked in hot sun.

Any others had this happen to their Mach 1 or Mustang ?

2023-M1-Rear-view-mirror-leak-2.jpg
Yep, @Mike Pfeifer had the exact link I was looking for. It is the rain sensor that will occasionally leak a little fluid. Nothing too alarming to be honest.

I've seen it before on my friend's mustangs but strangely BOTH of my two 2016 mustangs have never had this happen.

LOL I like to think that because I actually drive my cars and use them like they are suppose to, that my friend's cars are all sadly crying for being locked away in the garage. 😂

Sponsored

Garfy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT, 2012 Honda Fit Sport
I wondered what that was as I saw it maybe 3 or 4 times on my car. The first 3 years it was in a tropical climate in a garage that averaged 90 degs. or more. I haven't seen it the past year and it's currently in the 20's temp. wise so I suspect it's more prevalent in a warm climate. It's probably the excess that was seeping out as my auto wipers still work fine.

CS19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
If some rain sensors leak and some do not, then a leaking sensor can't be considered "normal". There has to be a reason that some leak. I'm saying that going into my 3rd replacement.
Sponsored