Adaptive Cruise leaking

Decible

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1 HP
Guys I noticed an oily fluid running down my windshield this morning. It appears to be coming from the adaptive cruise sensor that attaches to the rear view mirror. I vaguely remember a member seeing this in his car as well. Anyone ever figure out what it is? It’s cold here in Georgia so I know it’s not hot enough to melt anything.
Sponsored

Mike Pfeifer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red Mustang GT A10
We have had this issue on BMWs, there is a bulletin for it. The gel pad for the rain sensor can have a drip that runs down the glass. BMW, at least, says to just clean it off. I assume it’s a very similar part on the mustang.
1643168366166.png

OP
OP
Decible

Decible

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1 HP
We have had this issue on BMWs, there is a bulletin for it. The gel pad for the rain sensor can have a drip that runs down the glass. BMW, at least, says to just clean it off. I assume it’s a very similar part on the mustang.
1643168366166.png
I’m just going to clean it an roll with it.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Decible

Decible

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1 HP

D Bergstrom

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
I noticed this about two months ago on my 2020 GT, had two thin lines a couple of inches long. Thought is was strange it was on the inside, figured it was just some type of sealant around where the plastic attaches to the windshield. Just last week I noticed another line. Always seems to happen when its a little colder then usual. (I live in Las Vegas, cold is when highs are in the mid fifties and low in the mid thirties, and my car is kept in the garage.) If it is the rain sensing wipers, not to concerned, don't use them anyway. (We get rain maybe 10 days a year in Vegas, and I can turn on the wipers myself!) I will keep an eye on it, but unless it start leaking constantly, I doubt I will do anything about it.

Doug

Mike Pfeifer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Just wanted to clarify a little on this. So, being familiar with this part, just want to state that replacing will likely not “fix” the issue as the new one will do the same thing. Maybe not right away, but eventually. There is a sticky, slimy, jelly glob that gets smashed between the glass and the rain sensor. It’s purpose is to optically bond the rain sensor to the windshield, so it can “see” water droplets. The part is held in with clips, with the gel literally smashed between itself and the glass. Calling it a leak is kinda not accurate. It’s more like the gel kinda seeps some liquid out of itself- it’s already slimy, and that wetness (it’s not much really) will eventually settle enough over time until it forms a drop and drips off and down the glass. It’s not a defect and will not cause a problem, besides the occasional smear on the glass to be cleaned. Eventually it will not do it anymore, but replacing it will start it over again, so to speak.

19gtaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang GT, PP1 and 2021 Mach 1
Guys I noticed an oily fluid running down my windshield this morning. It appears to be coming from the adaptive cruise sensor that attaches to the rear view mirror. I vaguely remember a member seeing this in his car as well. Anyone ever figure out what it is? It’s cold here in Georgia so I know it’s not hot enough to melt anything.
My rain sensor leaked about 10 inches down when I left the car for 6 months in the hot garage while I was gone. A month or so later it leaked again but just a tiny bit. It's been a month or so and no leaks and I tested it and it still works. My bet is that yours still works and will continue to work.
Just spray some glass cleaner or water on the sensor area, I bet it works.

Last edited:

Sponsored

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
So why not have it replaced?
If it was mine, I might not let a dealer fix it for "free".

There are a few techs who couldn't get into the medical school Nick went to:

1643229040743.png

For such a minor issue, I'd pass. And if you didn't notice, a Ford Service department mentioned in that linked thread told the owner: the windshield might need to come out to fix it. Update: that was just if the owner left the car without the fob.

Last edited:

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
It’s not a defect and will not cause a problem, besides the occasional smear on the glass to be cleaned.
This is the part I don't get. If the gel is there for a reason (i.e. to bond the sensor optically to the glass, so that it can see water droplets), then how come losing it is not a problem?
Will it be able to see the water droplets exactly as well without the gel as it does with it?

Last edited:

MD18EcoStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang Ecoboost
This is the part I don't get. If the gel is there for a reason (i.e. to bond the sensor optically to the glass, so that it can see water droplets), then how come losing it is not a problem?
Will it be able to see the water droplets exactly as well without the gel as it does with it?
My guess is that enough will always remain for it to be effective. Maybe? Haven't noticed this yet with my 2018. I probably just jinxed myself...

Mike Pfeifer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
See, that’s the thing. It’s not really losing anything, besides some surface “wetness”. As long as there’s no air bubbles, it’s good to go. I’m trying to think of something similar to help describe the material, but I’m struggling with that. Manufacturers used to use a physically bonded prism to perform the same function. Those were non removable, but made out of a hard material like plastic or glass. The newer versions are replaceable, but that requires a different method to transmit light between the parts without obstruction (like air bubbles). That method is the transparent gel pad. Here check this out. Maybe it will help describe the gel some. You can see in this video when he tests if it’s cured how it’s kinda slimy, and again when he sticks it to the glass. The surface is slightly moist, and that moisture collects over time into a drop.
Sponsored