Sponsored

laptop for tuning

tyguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt
Hey guys the laptop i have now is like 15 years old and lets just say it needs replaced. I do pretty well everything from my ipad, but was looking at a new cheapie laptop from walmart just soley for downloading tunes and datalogging for tuners.
Is there any special options i should make sure the laptop has for this or will any basic one work?
Sponsored

stang77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 5.0
Hey guys the laptop i have now is like 15 years old and lets just say it needs replaced. I do pretty well everything from my ipad, but was looking at a new cheapie laptop from walmart just soley for downloading tunes and datalogging for tuners.
Is there any special options i should make sure the laptop has for this or will any basic one work?
Let me know if you find one. I would be interested as well.

Fenderfreak145

Complaint Listener
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shadow Black GT PP
If you're looking for a cheap laptop check out target and the clearance section. Occasionally they have some decent stuff for $199-$299.

I would have killed for something like that a few years ago before I became a mac man.

armykyle1 [HACKED ACCOUNT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP premium
eBay. I bought an old windows XP laptop so I could work on BMWs (I couldn't patch the software to work on 10) But it was like 60 bucks.

OP
OP
tyguy

tyguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt
so I take it just any plain laptop will work for this?

Sponsored

martinvince4544

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Vehicle(s)
None
I am using Acer Aspire E 15 laptop because it comes with everything you need, 8th generation, i5 quad core CPU which is one of the best in the market and great for your usage, 8GB of ram for smooth multitasking, good SSD storage of 256GB for faster boot up and loading, 15.6 inch Full HD IPS screen which is a must have for this price range, high build quality, long battery life, very good heat management, GeForce MX150 GPU that should be able to handle games on low to medium settings with very good FPs, and it is within your budget.

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fiesta 1.25i, 2017 GB Ford Mustang GT PP Premium
Vehicle Showcase
If you're looking for a cheap laptop check out target and the clearance section. Occasionally they have some decent stuff for $199-$299.

I would have killed for something like that a few years ago before I became a mac man.
but you can use your mac and a software called Virtualbox (free) or Parallels(paid) or Bootcamp (free) to run Windows on your Mac. I have a Virtualbox VM with unlicensed Windows 7 and Forscan to solve my car reprogramming needs.

AZ18yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Prem PP Magnetic
i5 quad core CPU which is one of the best in the market and great for your usage, 8GB of ram for smooth multitasking, good SSD storage of 256GB for faster boot up and loading
I wouldn't go below a later gen i7 or 16gb of memory if using the laptop even more than a little bit. Especially if running any virtualization/ hypervisor. 256gb ssd m.2 though should be quick for iops.

I remember I had a client that did datacenter mapping software and their corp standard was the top of the line Mac book pro of the time but then bootcamped it to win 7 full time. Paying top of the line $ for shiny Mac when could just have gone with a more powerful Dell etc for less. But hey to each their own.

Last edited:

pittzy23

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Corey
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
for the purposes of running tuning software, general browsing, streaming video / Youtube, etc. any newer Windows PC (even the el' cheapo unit) will be more than fine for the average user. Save some money for car stuff.
Sponsored