Sponsored

Key Fob

n813ca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A lot of other car owners suggest taking out the key fob when not driving the car. I was wondering what you guys suggest with the mustang? So far when I park it in the garage I have been leaving it in the car. Thank you!
Sponsored

IvanCRF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.On'ry
A lot of other car owners suggest taking out the key fob when not driving the car. I was wondering what you guys suggest with the mustang? So far when I park it in the garage I have been leaving it in the car. Thank you!
Better safe than sorry. Take 'em with you to reduce the likelihood of getting locked out.

lwilliams

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Larry
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium 50th
Leaving the fob in the car is the equivalent of leaving the key in the switch. If the get to the car, they can just drive away in it.......

OP
OP

n813ca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I am not worried about someone taking it. It is in the garage. If they get into the garage I would rather them take it then come into my house and do worse. I have never been locked out.. I was more wondering about battery drain on both the FOB and the car.

NewTekBuzz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2015 Black GT 6M
I would never leave the fob in the car. Mine car is kept in a garage and my keys are always on me or in the house.
Not sure is it would make a difference from the insurance side...

Sponsored

2manycars

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 X5M
Does keeping the FOB in the car keep the systems awake? On other cars the computers don't go all the way asleep and cause the battery to drain more rapidly.

G-train

G Train
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gerald
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
I don't leave it in the car, the fob is very sensitive and I've had it set off the alarm etc

'Merica

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Z51 3LT Stingray
Does keeping the FOB in the car keep the systems awake? On other cars the computers don't go all the way asleep and cause the battery to drain more rapidly.

+1. I think this is more along the lines of what the OP is asking, and less about the theft aspect. Id like to know as well, as I live in an extremely safe area and leave my keys in my car a lot.

2manycars

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 X5M
I know in the Corvette's, BMW's and Cadillac I've had you do not leave the FOB in the car because the computers do not go completely asleep and cause battery drain. The computers keep waking up expecting someone to open the door because the FOB is in close proximity to the car.
I know of a person at work who left the FOB in the car and didn't drive for a month or so in the winter. The battery was dead when he tried to use the car.

Raoh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Audi a4, 2015 Mustang GT
I wouldn't leave the fob near the car when not in use. They have to be communicating some how, and as others have noted, it could kill the battery.

Sponsored

GNS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
car
This is like putting the detonators near a batch of explosives.

Crais

I call it Vera
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2015 S550 DIB GT Premium PP
I didn't see anything in the manual forbidding this.

The power drain difference between a fob left in the car and none in the car is probably negligible. The car is always looking for the fob, whether it's there or not and the juice required to acknowledge/respond from the fob is likely really low. I suspect the car assumes the fob is present for several seconds, at least, after the response. A weak signal every 5-10 seconds on the part of the fob is a very small amount of power.

I could be completely off, but based on some electronics experience, this sort of behavior isn't all that uncommon.

Trailhiker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang EcoBoost Premium Convertible
I'm not giving anyone the chance for an easy steal. We always take the FOB with. :D

Brent302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT/PP
I am not worried about someone taking it. It is in the garage. If they get into the garage I would rather them take it then come into my house and do worse. I have never been locked out.. I was more wondering about battery drain on both the FOB and the car.
I'm sorry I forgot your address could you send it again [emoji56]

In all seriousness. I think it might eventually begin to drain the key fob and/or the battery.

Todd15Fastback

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP Fastback
I've had my car for over 6 months and it stays in the garage with the keys sitting in it. No issues thus far. Have no intentions of taking the keys out unless something is shared that states "battery will run dead if keys are left in the car".
Sponsored