Sponsored

Keeping car post warranty... extended warranty a must?

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
If I could buy from flood ford, the prices are listed below..... $4600 for 8 years and 75K miles.

I cant buy that policy. Some states are excluded.
Screenshot (6).png
Sponsored

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
The thing with the big check is actually wrong, sorry, that Ford site shows 990 dollars for 5 years warranty (going to May 2021 for me) for premium care... That's what I would get, with a 100 bucks deductible.

Many thanks
Extended warranties run concurrent with your manufacturers warranty. When your mfg warranty runs out, the balance of your extended warranty kicks in.

rebellovw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium PP
Extended warranties run concurrent with your manufacturers warranty. When your mfg warranty runs out, the balance of your extended warranty kicks in.
Yeah the only ones that make sense are the 84 month variety.

Nfs1000f

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Neal
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 & 2019 Ford Fusion SEL Hybrid
If I could buy from flood ford, the prices are listed below..... $4600 for 8 years and 75K miles.

I cant buy that policy. Some states are excluded.
Screenshot (6).png
Funny, the prices you copied are $100 less than what I copied above..

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
Funny, the prices you copied are $100 less than what I copied above..
It was a screenshot from flood ford. The point is moot. I cant get those prices. My dealer quoted $6326. No way.

Sponsored

ParsonsWV

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350, 2002 C5
I just bought my gt350 this weekend and I got a 10/100k bumper to bumper warranty for under $3000. This was a ford warranty. This seemed well worth it.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
I just bought my gt350 this weekend and I got a 10/100k bumper to bumper warranty for under $3000. This was a ford warranty. This seemed well worth it.
Double check that. I was originally quoted a wrapper warranty 10yr/100K mile for $2925. Wrapper warranties cover all but powertrain I believe.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I've considered purchasing an additional warranty, but the price is higher than I want to pay. It seems like the prices go up a lot if you actually drive the car. I've been putting about 10K miles per year on the car and I'm not going to stop driving it. My thought is why even have a car if I don't drive it? I plan to repair the car myself if necessary.

I'm still not sure how long I'll keep the GT350. It depends on what new cars come out. Right now I'm not interested in anything else that's out there. Possibly spending some time repairing it will be a tradeoff I'm willing to accept because IMO the car is that good.

OP
OP
torque124

torque124

Torque
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
Tom is right; I just ended a chat with Ford and they confirmed the car is covered by 5 Years, 60k miles powertrain warranty. They would not tell me over the chat on what exactly is covered, and said that I should go to the dealer. But powertrain is engine and transmission, right; they can't say "oh no, your valve train is not covered by the powertrain warranty" , or whatever. I will try to get some info on what exactly is covered.
If that is the case, I see no reason why one would buy an extended warranty.. they will not cover for consumable like brakes, fluids and such, and if the most costly items like transmission and engine are covered to 60k / 5 years.... all set.

Thanks all.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
Tom is right; I just ended a chat with Ford and they confirmed the car is covered by 5 Years, 60k miles powertrain warranty. They would not tell me over the chat on what exactly is covered, and said that I should go to the dealer. But powertrain is engine and transmission, right; they can't say "oh no, your valve train is not covered by the powertrain warranty" , or whatever. I will try to get some info on what exactly is covered.
If that is the case, I see no reason why one would buy an extended warranty.. they will not cover for consumable like brakes, fluids and such, and if the most costly items like transmission and engine are covered to 60k / 5 years.... all set.

Thanks all.
And that is the problem. A simple valve issue, and Ford replaces the whole engine. That is not a big deal for folks with regular 350s, but R model and limited production R's like JR357, numbers matching is essential.

New engine means no more numbers matching. I already have a spare transmission. Im looking for a spare voodoo.

Sponsored
OP
OP
torque124

torque124

Torque
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
Hey... found it , here it is if anyone is interested:

Extended warranty coverage periods are available for certain vehicle parts and conditions. Specifically, (1) Your vehicle’s Powertrain components are covered for five years or 60,000 miles, whichever occurs first. The extended coverage applies to the Engine: all internal lubricated parts, cylinder block, cylinder heads, electrical fuel pump, powertrain control module, engine mounts, flywheel, injection pump, manifold (exhaust and intake), manifold bolts, oil pan, oil pump, seals and gaskets, engine thermostat, engine thermostat housing, timing chain cover, timing chain (gears or belt), turbocharger/supercharger unit, valve covers, water pump; 10 Transmission: all internal parts, clutch cover, seals and gaskets, torque converter, transfer case (including all internal parts), transmission case, transmission mounts; Front-Wheel Drive: axle shafts, front bearings, seals and gaskets, universal and constant velocity joints; Rear-Wheel Drive: axle shafts, rear bearings, center support bearing, drive axle housing (including all internal parts), drive shaft, retainers, supports, seals and gaskets, universal and constant velocity joints. Four-Wheel/All-Wheel Drive: axle shafts, bearings (front and rear), center support bearing, drive shafts, final drive housing (including all internal parts), hubs-automatic front locking (four-wheel drive), locking rings (four-wheel drive), seals and gaskets, universal and constant velocity joints. (2) Your vehicle’s safety belts and air bag Supplemental Restraint System (SRS) are covered for an extended Safety Restraint Coverage Period, which lasts for five years or 60,000 miles, whichever occurs first. (3) Your vehicle’s body sheet metal panels are covered for an extended Corrosion Coverage Period, which lasts for five years, regardless of miles driven. The extended warranty coverage only applies if a body sheet metal panel becomes perforated due to corrosion during normal use due to a manufacturing defect in factory-supplied materials or factory workmanship. If aluminum body panels have corrosion or rust damage, and the damage is not the result of abnormal usage, vehicle accident, customer actions and/or extreme environmental conditions, the corrosion or rust damage repairs are covered for 5 years, unlimited miles. For damage caused by airborne material (environmental fallout) where there is no factory-related defect involved and therefore no warranty − our policy is to provide free repair of paint damage due to the airborne material for 12 months or 12,000 miles, whichever occurs first.

I also attached the whole warranty doc from Ford.

Attachments

fpa1974

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350R
I know @Tomster has the FL issue. But for the rest of folks that this car is not a primary car the cost is still decent. This is what I would get I think:

Screen Shot 2019-02-25 at 2.34.00 PM.png

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I know @Tomster has the FL issue. But for the rest of folks that this car is not a primary car the cost is still decent. This is what I would get I think:

Screen Shot 2019-02-25 at 2.34.00 PM.png
36,000 miles in 8 years! Not much driving.

fpa1974

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350R
That is 4500 miles a year. You can get 6000 miles a year for $700 more. The point is that this will not be for a primary car. IMO for that purpose is more than enough.

OP
OP
torque124

torque124

Torque
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
Does not indeed, but if (like you and me) you live in the N/NE , where you store your car for a few months or don't take it out much, I think it's decent... I mean that is 4k miles in pretty much 8 months, 500 miles per month... not too bad.
Sponsored