Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
Hey guys,

I've been debating this for awhile. I have 2 vehicles right now, my Mustang and a Jeep XJ. The Jeep is no frills(1996), it has manual windows and manual locks and it's lifted 4.5 inches on 33s. I've put quite a bit of work into it to get maintenance right, but it finally runs well now. Mpg for the Jeep stays between 12-15 mpg.

Recently, I've been looking at 2006-2012 Ford Fusions, especially the AWD models. Should I get rid of the Jeep and get an AWD Fusion. Opinions are wanted! Also, if anyone has experience with these generations of Fusions, please comment on reliability, etc.
Sponsored

Interceptor

Daily Driver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 California Special A10
Park the Jeep and cover up if straight 6. You will always wish you had it back. Seriously.
A sedan is a sedan is a sedan,

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I wouldn't own a Fusion, but I understand it's a legitimate choice if you need space to carry more people. Are you looking for a more mature/boring type of vehicle for some reason? In order for me to give you advice I need more information from you. Why do you want a Fusion? You live in Carolina, so why AWD?

What do you do with the Jeep? Are you planning to rock crawl with the Fusion? ;)

Is the Jeep too noisy, not comfortable or something?

If you are in an area where you get bad weather, just get some good tires for the Mustang. Save your money - you don't need an AWD vehicle for driving on the road.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
I wouldn't own a Fusion, but I understand it's a legitimate choice if you need space to carry more people. Are you looking for a more mature/boring type of vehicle for some reason? In order for me to give you advice I need more information from you. Why do you want a Fusion? You live in Carolina, so why AWD?

What do you do with the Jeep? Are you planning to rock crawl with the Fusion? ;)

Is the Jeep too noisy, not comfortable or something?

If you are in an area where you get bad weather, just get some good tires for the Mustang. Save your money - you don't need an AWD vehicle for driving on the road.
Vehicle to carry more than 2 people in. My Jeep can carry 5 but the mpg sucks lol.

I like having a vehicle that sits up high, for bad weather like floods and snow/ice, and that I can occasionally take on a trail.

Jeep is noisy but it doesn't bother me. It's a lot quieter than the Mustang

OP
OP

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
That Jeep is classic. Keep it.
:) It does have that classic square body to it! I'm thinking about keeping it now that I've thought about it for a month or so.

Park the Jeep and cover up if straight 6. You will always wish you had it back. Seriously.
A sedan is a sedan is a sedan,
Park it? It has over 200k miles on it lol

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Vehicle to carry more than 2 people in. My Jeep can carry 5 but the mpg sucks lol.

I like having a vehicle that sits up high, for bad weather like floods and snow/ice, and that I can occasionally take on a trail.

Jeep is noisy but it doesn't bother me. It's a lot quieter than the Mustang
I'm not sure why you have a Jeep and a Mustang if mpg is a big deal to you. Maybe you just moved a lot farther from work? I realize gas can be expensive if you drive 75-100 miles each way to work or something. Gas prices are really low right now...

You could put smaller tires on the Jeep and lower it. It would get better mpg and still make it through snow/ice/water easily. I know it wouldn't look as good, but a Fusion isn't going to look good either IMO.

Sorry - I feel I'm being overly negative here. I just don't think quite the same way about mpg, Fusions or 4WD as you do, I guess. I'll try to stay out of your thread.

Reactions: Ebm

Interceptor

Daily Driver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 California Special A10
I'm telling you cover that jeep up an save it. 258s are cheap to build later. They are one of last basic 4x4s.
Right now it isn't work a lot to sell, you will want the Jeep back with a passion in 8-10 years. I've own 4 of these vehicles and always wanted another.

Reactions: Ebm
OP
OP

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
I'm not sure why you have a Jeep and a Mustang if mpg is a big deal to you. Maybe you just moved a lot farther from work? I realize gas can be expensive if you drive 75-100 miles each way to work or something. Gas prices are really low right now...

You could put smaller tires on the Jeep and lower it. It would get better mpg and still make it through snow/ice/water easily. I know it wouldn't look as good, but a Fusion isn't going to look good either IMO.

Sorry - I feel I'm being overly negative here. I just don't think quite the same way about mpg, Fusions or 4WD as you do, I guess. I'll try to stay out of your thread.
MPG isn't a big issue right now. But it may be if gas goes to $4 or $5. Actually my work commute got shorter. I was driving around 80 miles a day for work, now I'm driving 40 a day.

Positive or negative, I like suggestions and advice

Sponsored

kluke15

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kenny
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GTPP
i miss my jeep wish i still had it. havent found much i like more than my old jeep. sounds like its your secondary vehicle anyways so you are prob have to drop some money even once you sold the jeep to get into a fusion so is it worth the cost to get something with a little better gas mileage when you dont sound like you need it that bad? for what its worth my mom had i think a '12 fusion and it wasnt crazy roomy. def more comfortable with 4 people compared to the mustang but still pretty small

OP
OP

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
i miss my jeep wish i still had it. havent found much i like more than my old jeep. sounds like its your secondary vehicle anyways so you are prob have to drop some money even once you sold the jeep to get into a fusion so is it worth the cost to get something with a little better gas mileage when you dont sound like you need it that bad? for what its worth my mom had i think a '12 fusion and it wasnt crazy roomy. def more comfortable with 4 people compared to the mustang but still pretty small
It is a secondary vehicle yes, so I don't absolutely need one. What kind of Jeep did you have?

And yes, I would probably have to add a little money to get into a Fusion. I've had 5 in my Jeep before and the only issues were people actually getting into the Jeep since it's lifted without a step bar lol.

Jeep is old(miles and age) and stuff is starting to break, but they are so darn easy to work on! I'm thinking about keeping it now.

kluke15

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kenny
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GTPP
It is a secondary vehicle yes, so I don't absolutely need one. What kind of Jeep did you have?

And yes, I would probably have to add a little money to get into a Fusion. I've had 5 in my Jeep before and the only issues were people actually getting into the Jeep since it's lifted without a step bar lol.

Jeep is old(miles and age) and stuff is starting to break, but they are so darn easy to work on! I'm thinking about keeping it now.
i had a 2000 gc, my only complaint was with the inline 6 being underpowered but other than that it was rock solid. just needed maintenance and that was it. the gc are more expensive to work on because not as many people mod them but i believe parts for yours are everywhere. it got stuck one time, threw a locker in it and never had another issue.

OP
OP

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
i had a 2000 gc, my only complaint was with the inline 6 being underpowered but other than that it was rock solid. just needed maintenance and that was it. the gc are more expensive to work on because not as many people mod them but i believe parts for yours are everywhere. it got stuck one time, threw a locker in it and never had another issue.
I love the look of both the WJ and the XJ. The ZJ wasn't too bad either. I agree underpowered. And there isn't a mod short of a stroker or FI to get them to have good power. Even with it underpowered, there is something still cool about a boxy vehicle lol.

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
A 97 XJ was my first vehicle and I miss that thing. It was truly a tank and despite how quirky it was, I loved it.

I had an ‘04 WJ Columbia Edition, 4.7HO. Sold it because of my commute and gas prices at the time but again, freaking loved that Jeep. It was butter smooth and had a ton of power. I loved to bury the speedometer in that thing.

If history repeats itself I’ll be in another one in a few years.

Keep your XJ.. they’re so hard to find now.. if you decide on the Fusion, get a Sport!
Sponsored