Sponsored

Just purchased 2015 ecoboost have question regarding boost

tsunami

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Premium EcoBoost Convertible
'High octane' gas in Minnesota means 91 octane ethanol (10%). My dealership uses the filling station across the street from them, so I know they do put high octane in the new Mustangs. The dealership probably gets a discount for fueling a couple dozen new cars each week.
I switched over to 'non-oxygenated' 91 octane (non-ethanol) gas at my first refueling. The price was about $0.50/gallon more than 'ethanol high octane'. I wanted to see if there was a difference in performance. I also have tried 87 octane ethanol. Refueling on nearly empty tanks. I have never tracked my EB, but I have ended up just using the much cheaper 87 octane. My mpgs have not varied much between the three variations of gas, within a statistical average. My mpg varied much more because of strong winds or stop-and-go commuter traffic.
I do not try to race other cars at stop lights. I would rather that they pay for the traffic tickets. I suspect that there would be differences in performance on a track.
Sponsored

Reactions: S7N

bay584

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GTPP
Also make sure all of your pipes are firmly connected in your engine bay. Someone tell me I'm wrong but I remember a lot of guys who had '15s their charge pipes were loose or not even connected.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

doulos4jc

......looking^
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Turbo Mustang
Is yours an automatic without performance package? That would would put a big damper on power delivery.

OP
OP
S7N

S7N

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 KIA STINGER GT1 AWD
Is yours an automatic without performance package? That would would put a big damper on power delivery.
No its the 6spd manual base model. I went ahead and put some 93 octane in this morning. I just left the store with my brother and this black dodge challenger looked like maybe a 2012 with this huge hood scoop pulled up next to us at the light and I took off normal and he was revving and when I heard him hit the gas I went at it and my car was pulling away rather quickly and once I hit 3rd gear it was all over with so I let off the gas to avoid jail time.

The car seemed perfect so I dunno but I noticed last night when I did a pull from second boost dropped out around 3500 rpm and felt a cut in power. So maybe it is the gas but I wouldn't think it would affect the boost like that.

Sponsored

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
San Juan
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium PP
The car seemed perfect so I dunno but I noticed last night when I did a pull from second boost dropped out around 3500 rpm and felt a cut in power. So maybe it is the gas but I wouldn't think it would affect the boost like that.
Gas has a much larger impact on Turbos than it does with a V6 or V8 NA engine. If i put 87 in my GT I wont notice anything (there will be a change in HP but not noticeable) but in a turbo its a noticeae difference!

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB Magnetic Premium PP 50AP
Check your charge pipes. There was a problem with them being loose new from Ford. Lots of people swore theirs were fine and after lots of troubleshooting found they were loose. Many of us just had to tighten them down, many others had popped loose. Without the PP, do you have a boost gauge in the gauges display? If so, check and see what you're getting.

OP
OP
S7N

S7N

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 KIA STINGER GT1 AWD
Check your charge pipes. There was a problem with them being loose new from Ford. Lots of people swore theirs were fine and after lots of troubleshooting found they were loose. Many of us just had to tighten them down, many others had popped loose. Without the PP, do you have a boost gauge in the gauges display? If so, check and see what you're getting.
Yeah I have the digital readout I'll check it tonight when I'm heading out. I did check these hoses but I'll recheck them to.

Glenn G

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
15 DIB 6MT base Ecoboost
I'm pretty sure the ECU will cut boost by opening the waste gate if it starts getting ping from running crap gas. I had to stop at a small fuel station once that was way out in the boonies, I was surprised they even had 93 so I put in just enough to get me to a bigger station. Sure enough my AP showed some light knock on acceleration and I could feel it pulling timing, closing the throttle body a bit and venting the blowoff valve. OAR dropped to like -.2 I got to the next fuel station after showing 0 miles to empty for about 10 miles and let my car idle for around 10 more minutes to burn that crap off, filled up with 93 and after a few pulls got all my boost back.

OP
OP
S7N

S7N

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 KIA STINGER GT1 AWD
I'm pretty sure the ECU will cut boost by opening the waste gate if it starts getting ping from running crap gas. I had to stop at a small fuel station once that was way out in the boonies, I was surprised they even had 93 so I put in just enough to get me to a bigger station. Sure enough my AP showed some light knock on acceleration and I could feel it pulling timing, closing the throttle body a bit and venting the blowoff valve. OAR dropped to like -.2 I got to the next fuel station after showing 0 miles to empty for about 10 miles and let my car idle for around 10 more minutes to burn that crap off, filled up with 93 and after a few pulls got all my boost back.
This gives me hope then. I'm hoping after I burn this premium I put in this morning the power will come back. I just rechecked the hoses and they are all snug. If all else fails I'll be taking it back to the dealer for trouble shooting.

Sponsored

15 Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Convertable
The recommended octane is 87 per the owners manual.

2.3L EcoBoost and 5.0L V8 Engines
We recommend regular unleaded gasoline
with a pump (R+M)/2 octane rating of 87.
Some stations offer fuels posted as regular
with an octane rating below 87, particularly
in high altitude areas. We do not
recommend fuels with an octane rating
below 87.
To provide improved performance, we
recommend premium fuel for severe duty
usage, such as trailer tow.

I'd like to see the documentation demonstrating that only full boost is available using 91/93 octane fuel. This is for the stock tune, not aftermarket tune.

Talking with engine overhaulers, the regular use of higher octane fuels increases the amount of carbon deposits on the intake valves on the direct injection engines.

04SloSnake

Boost Addict
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
R34 Skyline
You can hit full boost regardless of fuel quality, it will just pull timing and make less power. That said, why would you want to?

mikef523

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang eco, 17 explorer, 17 Jaguar F-Pace
stealerships usually put regular in cars. 87

I assume from your post, calling them "stealerships", that you have no faith in your dealership to do the right thing. Are you claiming that All dealerships are "shady" and can't be trusted?
My last 3 vehicles were purchased from the same Ford dealer, because I have total faith in them to be honest, and trustworthy. And until I see or hear something credible that proves otherwise, I have no reason to suspect them of any shady dealings, be it sales, or service.
My dealership is family owned, for generations, and they have a reputation to uphold.
My suggestion to you would be to find another dealership if you feel that way about the one you used in your last purchase. BTW, can you give an example of why you feel this way about your dealer? What exactly did they do to give you this low opinion of them? Any why did you buy from them in the first place?

RitzGT

Serial Mustang Owner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT 6sp
I assume from your post, calling them "stealerships", that you have no faith in your dealership to do the right thing. Are you claiming that All dealerships are "shady" and can't be trusted?
My last 3 vehicles were purchased from the same Ford dealer, because I have total faith in them to be honest, and trustworthy. And until I see or hear something credible that proves otherwise, I have no reason to suspect them of any shady dealings, be it sales, or service.
My dealership is family owned, for generations, and they have a reputation to uphold.
My suggestion to you would be to find another dealership if you feel that way about the one you used in your last purchase. BTW, can you give an example of why you feel this way about your dealer? What exactly did they do to give you this low opinion of them? Any why did you buy from them in the first place?
Sadly, I think your experience is the exception rather than the rule. I also found a straight up good dealer when I bought my Mustang. We both got lucky. :)

Edit: The sales experience was awesome. Yelp tells a very different story about service. Ouch. Fortunately, I do my own service. :)

I base that on years fixing problems created by shady dealers at the ancestral family business from when I was a kid until I started working on my own after college.

With the advent of the internet and the ability of customers to easily share info about good and bad dealers, you'd think that manufacturers would put more pressure on dealers to clean up their act so it doesn't tarnish their brand. I think that's slowly happening, but there are still a lot of shady operators.

Best,

FordBlueHeart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Torr
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT 301A PP1 A10 Magneride
Having worked in the car biz for over a decade including my last management job at a Ford store, stealership is a well earned term. Not all are bad, but all have shady employees in them. It's a tough business and takes a tough and talented person to make it a career. Where else can you be uneducated and make six figures?
Sponsored