Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.modernmusclecars.de
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro 2SS (EU)
So the Camaro is down over 30% quarter over quarter from this time last year..

What is the reason, according to Camaro6 you ask?

Lack of advertising.

The 6th Gen has been out for 3 years now..but..it's the fact that somehow they think people don't know about the car..that's what is doing it?
Just compare how many videos and news ford gave out for the refresh. Announcement, conv announcement, Pulse Button, Line Lock on Ecoboost, Pony Package, 0-60 video, good neighbor mode video, new tires on refresh news, PP2 announcement, Bullitt announcement, etc
If you read any webseite or visit a youtube channel about modern cars, you had something to read and see about the new Mustang like every month since announcement. That is what builds up a hype, generating intersting in your car. Letting people know, that you have something new in the pipeline.

Dodge just announced MY2019 for Challenger and Charger and released 5 (FIVE!) really cool videos of their updates where you see the Challengers drifting, doing burnouts, running footage, a lot of detail shots, etc.

Now take a look to the Camaro refresh. No matter how you like the looks, they had one announcement in april with a few not cool looking renderings and one video with the car just standing around from two angles without any informations or running footage. Even the order banks for the 2019 opened two weeks ago, but that is only known because of some dealers on Camaro6 that gives out that informations.
They didn't even bother to show the car at any auto show or make the reveal at anything people actually watch. They revealed the car in a morning news show, what the f***.

That is was what people mean by lack of advertisement. You can't sell cars if you don't tell not-ethusiasts what is special about your car. They have without a doubt the best performance offerings of the three muscle cars (still waiting for the PP2 vs 1LE at motortrend), but do they don't care to tell people that. Just look on YouTube how many videos are there with people going crazy about the 0-60 < 4.0s announcement from the 18 GT. That's what get people exited - Even though Camaro SS pretty close times since 2016 now, but most people don't know. The only good advertisement for the Camaro is actually the MotorTrend video against the M4, which is not even done by Chevrolet.

To conclude my post. I like all of the three big cars here and I think they need the competition of each other to push forward. I hope we will still get a 7th Gen Camaro, but sales are without a doubt at a bad spot. The questionable refresh design will not help it.
Sponsored

thehunterooo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Corvette
The lack of sales are fairly self-explanatory: most people don't track/race their car. Ergo, they couldn't give a rats a$$ if vehicle A is faster around the track by mere 3 seconds than vehicle B.

Therefore, they'll choose a vehicle that is a better car to daily drive. Which appears to be Mustang / Challenger.
But magazine times! Winning races on the fourm is all that matters!

thehunterooo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Corvette
Just compare how many videos and news ford gave out for the refresh. Announcement, conv announcement, Pulse Button, Line Lock on Ecoboost, Pony Package, 0-60 video, good neighbor mode video, new tires on refresh news, PP2 announcement, Bullitt announcement, etc
If you read any webseite or visit a youtube channel about modern cars, you had something to read and see about the new Mustang like every month since announcement. That is what builds up a hype, generating intersting in your car. Letting people know, that you have something new in the pipeline.

Dodge just announced MY2019 for Challenger and Charger and released 5 (FIVE!) really cool videos of their updates where you see the Challengers drifting, doing burnouts, running footage, a lot of detail shots, etc.

Now take a look to the Camaro refresh. No matter how you like the looks, they had one announcement in april with a few not cool looking renderings and one video with the car just standing around from two angles without any informations or running footage. Even the order banks for the 2019 opened two weeks ago, but that is only known because of some dealers on Camaro6 that gives out that informations.
They didn't even bother to show the car at any auto show or make the reveal at anything people actually watch. They revealed the car in a morning news show, what the f***.

That is was what people mean by lack of advertisement. You can't sell cars if you don't tell not-ethusiasts what is special about your car. They have without a doubt the best performance offerings of the three muscle cars (still waiting for the PP2 vs 1LE at motortrend), but do they don't care to tell people that. Just look on YouTube how many videos are there with people going crazy about the 0-60 < 4.0s announcement from the 18 GT. That's what get people exited - Even though Camaro SS pretty close times since 2016 now, but most people don't know. The only good advertisement for the Camaro is actually the MotorTrend video against the M4, which is not even done by Chevrolet.

To conclude my post. I like all of the three big cars here and I think they need the competition of each other to push forward. I hope we will still get a 7th Gen Camaro, but sales are without a doubt at a bad spot. The questionable refresh design will not help it.
Sorry but I am not buying it. For years I read it was price now that the Mustang is as expensive or even more expensive it is advertising. It’s hard to admit but the narrative people have bought into that the Mustang is one of the worst cars on the road that make no power, can’t race on the track, etc is not true. There is no way the “superior” car should ever get outsold.

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
Sorry but I am not buying it. For years I read it was price now that the Mustang is as expensive or even more expensive it is advertising. It’s hard to admit but the narrative people have bought into that the Mustang is one of the worst cars on the road that make no power, can’t race on the track, etc is not true. There is no way the “superior” car should ever get outsold.
Fact! The narrative will continue to change. Because the people that spent their hard earned money on Camaro. Cant just admit that the car has glaring flaws. That need to be addressed. Instead of saying Please fix the sightlines GM. Please fix this goofy looking interior GM. Please give me a trunk. That holds more than a ticktack case GM. They keep chanting. :frusty:Sometimes you just gotta admit sh!ts broke. And fix it. Dodge took the opposite approach. If it ain't broke. Don't fix it.

Ace

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.modernmusclecars.de
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro 2SS (EU)
Fact! The narrative will continue to change. Because the people that spent their hard earned money on Camaro. Cant just admit that the car has glaring flaws. That need to be addressed. Instead of saying Please fix the sightlines GM. Please fix this goofy looking interior GM. Please give me a trunk. That holds more than a ticktack case GM. They keep chanting. :frusty:Sometimes you just gotta admit sh!ts broke. And fix it. Dodge took the opposite approach. If it ain't broke. Don't fix it.
Lol, of course Mustang has better visibility and a better opening for the trunk, nobody doubts that. Of course it leads to Challenger and Mustang being better daily drivers. But I'm pretty sure bigger windows and trunk would not cause that much better sales, when so many other factors come in mind like higher base price since Chevy is not offering a base V8 (before 18 GT is was about $4k difference), Chevy not care about marketing, no presence in big media (most action movies use a Challenger or Mustang if they want to show an US car), etc.

Chevy just build a sportscar with the 6th Gen with modern technology (HUD, Magnetic Ride, Rev Matching, etc), not caring about increasing daily driver value. If you're in the market for that it's actually offering more space than the usual 2-seat sportscars (TTS, 370z, etc) and best performance for the price. But if people should spend $4k+ compared to Mustang an Challenger for a Camaro SS with less space, you just have to market why the performance will be worth it.

But somehow they dropped the ball after engineering the 6th Gen and now just let it stand for itself without investing any money to push it. Even the refresh does not get any exiting new features. The 10AT and that's about it, not even a power bump. :shrug:

Sponsored

thehunterooo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Corvette
:shrug:

thehunterooo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Corvette
Lol, of course Mustang has better visibility and a better opening for the trunk, nobody doubts that. Of course it leads to Challenger and Mustang being better daily drivers. But I'm pretty sure bigger windows and trunk would not cause that much better sales, when so many other factors come in mind like higher base price since Chevy is not offering a base V8 (before 18 GT is was about $4k difference), Chevy not care about marketing, no presence in big media (most action movies use a Challenger or Mustang if they want to show an US car), etc.

Chevy just build a sportscar with the 6th Gen with modern technology (HUD, Magnetic Ride, Rev Matching, etc), not caring about increasing daily driver value. If you're in the market for that it's actually offering more space than the usual 2-seat sportscars (TTS, 370z, etc) and best performance for the price. But if people should spend $4k+ compared to Mustang an Challenger for a Camaro SS with less space, you just have to market why the performance will be worth it.

But somehow they dropped the ball after engineering the 6th Gen and now just let it stand for itself without investing any money to push it. Even the refresh does not get any exiting new features. The 10AT and that's about it, not even a power bump. :shrug:
I think most people would agree the 5th gen Camaro got a huge boost in visibility from the transformers placement. But if you look at sales since the 5th gen returned they were not even that great considering such a huge product placement vs a subpar Challenger and an aging S197 platform. It felt like just about every Camaro had transformers badges on it. I get a feeling the car was tied to the movies a bit too much and the transformers fad is quite dead. Dodge has done a great job promoting its products as well though I would say the F&F movies and hype has been much more important than anything else.

The Camaro runs faster laps and offers a more track ready versions compared to the Mustang but 99%+ of buyers will never go to a track with turns. It is great for people who want to be the king of forums, youtube comment sections and facebook groups but if you never take the 1LE or Zl1/1LE to the track to slaughter Ford GTs and supercars while racing for money what is the point.

Weather Man

Persistance is a Bitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 I4 T Prem Auto
The 10 year younger average purchasing age really stuck out at me on a post over on C6G. I think that really tells a big part of the story on why mustang is whipping them in sales.

TTown

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 4Runner; '19 CRV; '06 Explorer; '17 Civic
The lack of sales are fairly self-explanatory: most people don't track/race their car. Ergo, they couldn't give a rats a$$ if vehicle A is faster around the track by mere 3 seconds than vehicle B.

Therefore, they'll choose a vehicle that is a better car to daily drive. Which appears to be Mustang / Challenger.
^^^ This, in a nutshell.

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost convertible
Vehicle Showcase
Mustang 2
camaro 0

Maybe this time it'll stay dead. Well until the Mustang makes another big splash and Greedy Motors want to get in on the money like in 2005.

Sponsored

thehunterooo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Corvette
Mustang 2
camaro 0

Maybe this time it'll stay dead. Well until the Mustang makes another big splash and Greedy Motors want to get in on the money like in 2005.
Bro the sales are fine have you heard about ATP and profits? Keep up the wishful thinking hater!

draph

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 6MT PP1
I too crossed shopped all three,
Anyway, I hope GM really fixes what ever issues the Camaro has... I hope Chrysler keeps the challenger up and a nice refresh.. without competition you get the 2005-2010 mustang.. lol

Yeah, I thought awhile about 2018 2SS 1LE with PDR after test driving one, and considered using the savings to buy TWO extra sets of wheels and tires (one for winter, one for summer DD that wouldn't wear out in less than 20K miles and wouldn't hydroplane in rain or tramline in dry,and weren't so noisy). Ultimately, I decided the Recaros were too constrictive for the DD where/when I'd be driving the car 99% of the time; and I like to rest my elbow on the door sill (armrest too low and sill too high on Camaro). The Mustang PP1 was just the all round winner with best compromise on sport/comfort/tech.

My Challenger aspiration was SRT 392, but never could find one to test drive to see how its adaptive suspension worked compared to MRC. I did see a lot of appeal in the Dodge - it is far from a boat (reading forums and car reviews you'd think you'd see waves splashing over the bow on a test drive), and its forward leaning stick shift provides some unique character. The one I drove had the package with the slotted and cross drilled rotors with the 6 piston Brembos, and its brakes felt better than Mustang GT PP1 (which one recent review called "wooden", which I tend to agree with). I just couldn't see $52K MSRP in something so long in the tooth design-wise with GG tax on the MT too.

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.

You can market it as much as you want. People arent stupid. And will buy the car that suits there needs best. If people want all out performance. Buy a Corvette! Not a pony car that wants to be a Corvette.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
People know that there's a Camaro. It's not an advertising problem. It's a vehicle attribute problem. The failure to recognize this is astounding. I was excited to test drive a couple and walked away stunned at several items (not in a good way). I'm not alone and I'm sure many prospective buyers have similar experiences, especially if they do any cross shopping.

activeGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 350 Lead-foot grey
The NEW Camaro actually rides better and 6 speed has a better shift box and clutch. Also the electric Recaros are far superior. You get used to the visibilty but blind-spot is standard on the 2SS where an option on a GT.

So it's all personal preference in my opinion. Both are great American muscle cars.
Sponsored

Last edited: