I've also got the tick/rattle

OP
OP

Blu2017

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Weird stuff for sure. I agree, this one sounds different than the BBQ tick. I have the 2200-2800 rpm flutter under very light throttle, but I don't have the BBQ tick. I've had the flutter since 250 miles. I'm at 4,000 miles now. Mine uses about 1/2 qt of oil every 1K miles. First oil change was at 2K. Still running 5w20 blend. OP, do you have the 2200-2800 rpm flutter? My car build date was 5/18. Motor build date was 4/18. Motor is still running strong.

Just to add, I've had no other issues with the car so far, other than the 2200-2800 rpm flutter. Still not positive this doesn't have something to do with the port/direct injection.
Hey Silver Bullitt, yes I do have the flutter as well but like you I am thinking/hoping that is the direct injection noise. To be honest if I just had the BBQ tick I wouldn't be so concerned, the lower end engine rattle is definitely something bad internally.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Blu2017

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Funny, that reminds me more like what a transmission engagement sounds like. Generally not good for an engine to make that sound. Which method did you break it in with? Some say drive it like you stole it, others say follow the manual. Would be interesting to see if that makes any difference with everyone that has the tick/rattle. Also, if you hold the throttle down slightly instead of slightly revving, does it make that noise consistently or does it pop up and go away?
I broke it in just like my 14 GT and 17 GT by being gentle while varying RPMS.

I can take another video but if I hold the rpms down it sounds worse. Like there are rocks in my oil pan

Jetnoise

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP1, 70 Shaker Mach 1 stroker, 1967 F/B 357W, 1968 302 Vert, 4I 85 5.0 B&M Blower
That's a weird sound.....might not be be what everyone wants to think it is.
What accessories were running or being activated during the video?

OP
OP

Blu2017

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
That's a weird sound.....might not be be what everyone wants to think it is.
What accessories were running or being activated during the video?
Possibly the defroster is on but I have shut all accessories off before and I assure you it makes the same sounds regardless.

Jetnoise

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP1, 70 Shaker Mach 1 stroker, 1967 F/B 357W, 1968 302 Vert, 4I 85 5.0 B&M Blower
Possibly the defroster is on but I have shut all accessories off before and I assure you it makes the same sounds regardless.
A/C not running etc was what I was curious about
If your defroster was on maybe the A/C clutch was engaging and making an abnormal sound and what might need addressing is the that system.
To me , first thought was a cracked flex plate or something in the bell housing area.
Just my $.02

Sponsored

OP
OP

Blu2017

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
A/C not running etc was what I was curious about
If your defroster was on maybe the A/C clutch was engaging and making an abnormal sound and what might need addressing is the that system.
To me , first thought was a cracked flex plate or something in the bell housing area.
Just my $.02
I promise I do not want it to be bad but losing a quart of oil in the first 9Ă—Ă— mile, coupled with the tick and this rattle as well as the 22Ă—Ă— rattle while driving the car tells me its something worse than that.

Jetnoise

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I promise I do not want it to be bad but losing a quart of oil in the first 9Ă—Ă— mile, coupled with the tick and this rattle as well as the 22Ă—Ă— rattle while driving the car tells me its something worse than that.
A quart of factory poured oil lost in 900 miles. Wow
The sound in your video sounds like something externally associated
What did your dealer trouble shoot as the source?

Jetnoise

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not to be a jerk
How do you read the dipstick?

OP
OP

Blu2017

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Not to be a jerk
How do you read the dipstick?
I'd wait at least 20 minutes after driving before checking. Remove the dipstick, wipe and insert and remove again.

Ford is the one who told me I was 1qt low. I didnt know as I had not checked since 4-500ish miles when it showed full.

Their diagnosis was to drive it and see if it loses anymore oil over the next couple hundred miles.

The tech didn't hear the noise at first so I made him and the service advisor come outside and cold start it with me the following morning and they both admitted it sounds like rocks in my oil pan. They heard both the tick and the rattle. I hope we are all wrong but that's really the best way to describe it.

Jetnoise

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes! Let's hope there are no rocks in your oil pan. FWIW ...service advisors ...96% of the time know very little. No offense intended to the 4% who have a clue but if you are in the 4% you know it's true

Sponsored

gmupatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT (Orange Fury), 401A, A10, 3.55
Wow, are you sure they sold you a new car? You certainly got the bottom of the barrel. No one I know that has a car 5 years or less with 50k or more have most or any of the issues you mentioned. Some are mustangs some are other brands. I would also be peeved. I would also take it to another dealer as your dealer sounds like they suck. I bought my daughter a Focus a couple years ago and they bend over backwards every time it has been in.
Thanks, I will try other dealers in the area. This being my only car at the moment (the wife drives the other), I hope Ford will give me a loaner as I cannot commute without a car where I live.

I certainly bought it as a new car lol. It had 27 miles on the ODO. Everything was nice and tight as a drum for the first 2-3 months but slowly things started to make rattling and creeking sounds plus all the things I mentioned in my post above. I will take it in to another dealer next week and see what they can do.

brucelinc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT premium A10 (SOLD)
This whole situation is very puzzling. My car was built in January, 2018 but that may not be the same as the engine build date. In any case, mine is totally quiet..other than the normal direct injection sound. Even that is much quieter than the 3.5 ecoboost that was in my Lincoln MKS or the 3.0 twin turbo in my Continental.

I ran the car at the drag strip all summer. It had 600 miles on it the first time I raced it. Changed the oil at around 3000 miles to Mobil 1 5W20. It may blow up tomorrow but so far, at 6000 miles, no unusual noises. I would love to know why some have the noise and others don't.

OP
OP

Blu2017

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
This whole situation is very puzzling. My car was built in January, 2018 but that may not be the same as the engine build date. In any case, mine is totally quiet..other than the normal direct injection sound. Even that is much quieter than the 3.5 ecoboost that was in my Lincoln MKS or the 3.0 twin turbo in my Continental.

I ran the car at the drag strip all summer. It had 600 miles on it the first time I raced it. Changed the oil at around 3000 miles to Mobil 1 5W20. It may blow up tomorrow but so far, at 6000 miles, no unusual noises. I would love to know why some have the noise and others don't.
I do like this car a lot so I really hope they can fix it or give me one that that doesnt sound like a diesel
Sponsored