Sponsored

Is your gas gauge a little optimistic?

Zathras

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I've had my '18 since it was new, and I'm not sure if it's always been this way, or if it's been a gradual trend... but the gas gauge (analog, I don't have the digital dash) seems to read a smidge higher than the level one would expect from the trip computer's "miles remaining" estimate. For example, when the trip computer is showing ~15 miles to empty, probably 1-2 gallons, the analog gauge is still above 1/8 of a tank. I've never pushed it further than that.

So for the rest of you-- does the trip computer seem really pessimistic with the range to empty, or does the fuel gauge seem like it reads a smidge higher level than the actual amount, when the tank is getting low?
Sponsored

tdstuart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Triston
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Gt Premium
Mine seems to be off too but the gauge seems to read lower than the actual fuel level. Will look like 25% remaining fuel but is actually a little over 30%. The best way is to test it by filling it up and seeing if it matches what you would expect.

Let the gauge get to exactly 50% and then fill up. If you fill up over 8 gal then the gauge is reading higher than the actual amount, if you fill up less than 8 gal then the gauge is reading less than the actual amount.

RagmopInKona

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang HHP
When I get a new car or new to me vehicle I test where the gage is when the car stalls or starts to stumble. My mustang it read 1 mile when it died and gauge was reading E for a long time before that ,ar the 25 miles left warning .
Unlike my other vehicle that with 20-25miles left it is done.
After that they never go lower than quarter tank.

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
I was just in a situation where I had the tank run very low. The DTE said 5 miles when I stopped to fill up. I have an '18 Ecoboost convertible, it has a 15.5 gallon tank. It took exactly 14.5 gallons before it automatically clicked off. I never top off the tank as that's a good way to damage the evap system.
The last time I checked this (by comparing the DTE to the car's estimate of mpg) I was around 10 miles difference. It's been a long time since I calculated the actual mpg so I don't know how accurate the cars estimate is.
I have 3 different Ford vehicles and they all have about the same DTE discrepancy.

Sponsored

JetGray_Mach1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 (HP)
I never care for the gauge, when the MTE reads 0 I usually have 1-1.5 gallons in the tank. I go by that and never had issues. Was the same on my S197.

Cyberbill

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
2019 Premium Gt Convertible
Iā€™m guessing all you guys know not to let your gas tanks get below 1/4 fullā€¦with all the sheeet and crap the oil companies have in their gas, even with the filters, I donā€™t trust them at all. Besides we all know that the fuel acts as a coolant for the gas pump, again another reason not to let is go below 1/4 full.
Just some FYI from an old manā€¦ Grandpa Bill. Austin

KingKona

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shlomo
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
I never care for the gauge, when the MTE reads 0 I usually have 1-1.5 gallons in the tank. I go by that and never had issues. Was the same on my S197.
If you're assuming your S550's gauge-to-tank reading is the same, don't. S550s are much closer to real fuel remaining than S197s. When my car is at E and close to 0 MTE, it will take well over 14.5 gallons.

To answer the question; all gas gauges are claibrated to move slower for the first 1/2 tank, and faster (to compensate) in the 2nd 1/2 tank.

Been that way forever. It's to give people the impression of getting good MPGs.

JetGray_Mach1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 (HP)
If you're assuming your S550's gauge-to-tank reading is the same, don't. S550s are much closer to real fuel remaining than S197s. When my car is at E and close to 0 MTE, it will take well over 14.5 gallons.

To answer the question; all gas gauges are claibrated to move slower for the first 1/2 tank, and faster (to compensate) in the 2nd 1/2 tank.

Been that way forever. It's to give people the impression of getting good MPGs.
Gotcha, but even at 0 you got at least 1 gallon in there. I try not to go to 0 though but last time I filled it up at 0 I had around 1 gallon in there.

Sponsored

JetGray_Mach1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 (HP)
I think my fuel gauge hates me šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø.

IMG_5815.jpeg
What shown its an estimation. You are probably driving her hard (your MPG must be terrible), when I take a long road trip that number changes significantly because the computer is estimating with you current driving habits you will get XX DTE. (I think its the average within last 200 miles?)

JetGray_Mach1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 (HP)
Iā€™m guessing all you guys know not to let your gas tanks get below 1/4 fullā€¦with all the sheeet and crap the oil companies have in their gas, even with the filters, I donā€™t trust them at all. Besides we all know that the fuel acts as a coolant for the gas pump, again another reason not to let is go below 1/4 full.
Just some FYI from an old manā€¦ Grandpa Bill. Austin
I like to take my cars to 0 because I live one gas tank at a time. LOL

Joking aside I have taken all my cars to or near 0 and never had issues. I always put good quality fuel. I am not saying your wrong but I guess its just a bad habit of mine and I do not intend to change.

KingKona

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shlomo
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT

Joking aside I have taken all my cars to or near 0 and never had issues. I always put good quality fuel. I am not saying your wrong but I guess its just a bad habit of mine and I do not intend to change.
That's really bad for the fuel pump. Try to keep at least 1/4 of a tank.

LOL WUT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 GT
What shown its an estimation. You are probably driving her hard (your MPG must be terrible), when I take a long road trip that number changes significantly because the computer is estimating with you current driving habits you will get XX DTE. (I think its the average within last 200 miles?)
I am also boosted on E85 which explains a lot šŸ˜.

Cyberbill

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
2019 Premium Gt Convertible

Well okā€¦Start saving for a new fuel pumpā€¦for sure. Grandpa Bill
Sponsored