Is this 2017 GT350 too good to be true?

C.J.

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JIA
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang Shelby GT350, 2017 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
Hi guys, I'm new to this forum, first post but read a lot of threads these days. I was inspired by many of the threads and eventually decided to buy a used GT350.

This 2017 GT350 (with 8K miles) has been on shift.com (https://shift.com/car/c186612) for two months and the original price was around $54,000. The price had dropped several times and yesterday it dropped to $48,200 (including $1,250 service fee of shift.com). Then I booked a test drive immediately and had the test drive today.

It has a clean carfax report and overall condition is very good. It has some small scratches on one rim, and it only has one key. And it still has 11 months Bumper to bumper warranty left. I've put a deposit and will take delivery in a few days

Considering the condition and mileage, is the price too good to be true (I'm asking because there's another GT350 with higher mileage on the same website is more expensive: https://shift.com/car/c121574)? After reading several threads in this forum, my concern is that whether this car has oil consumption or engine problem. But shift.com has 5 days return policy. Any recommendations regarding inspections to do during the first 5 days?
Sponsored

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Any recommendations regarding inspections to do during the first 5 days?
Yes, a track weekend, then return it.

Rubyred17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Hi guys, I'm new to this forum, first post but read a lot of threads these days. I was inspired by many of the threads and eventually decided to buy a used GT350.

This 2017 GT350 (with 8K miles) has been on shift.com (https://shift.com/car/c186612) for two months and the original price was around $54,000. The price had dropped several times and yesterday it dropped to $48,200 (including $1,250 service fee of shift.com). Then I booked a test drive immediately and had the test drive today.

It has a clean carfax report and overall condition is very good. It has some small scratches on one rim, and it only has one key. And it still has 11 months Bumper to bumper warranty left. I've put a deposit and will take delivery in a few days

Considering the condition and mileage, is the price too good to be true (I'm asking because there's another GT350 with higher mileage on the same website is more expensive: https://shift.com/car/c121574)? After reading several threads in this forum, my concern is that whether this car has oil consumption or engine problem. But shift.com has 5 days return policy. Any recommendations regarding inspections to do during the first 5 days?
Take the VIN number to a Ford dealer and ask them to do a warranty review. If there were complaints about oil use (or anything else) the report will have that. Its stuff that will not make a CarFax.

Nfs1000f

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Neal
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 & 2019 Ford Fusion SEL Hybrid
If oil consumption is a concern, after picking up the car, drive it, park it for 15 minutes and check the oil level. Hopefully it is between the two marks. Then put as many hard miles on the car as you possibly can within the five days. More the better. If you can do at least 1000 miles that would be ideal. Check the oil using the same procedure as above and if you find the oil at or near the same level on the stick you’re good to go. Any significant drop (1 gt or more) could be an indication of excessive oil consumption. I believe Ford says a quart every 500 miles is acceptable, but I would think most people on this form would agree that it is not.

cosmic charlie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Steeda Streetfighter Q850 NEED FOR GREEN, 2016 Focus RS (frozen white), 2016 Focus RS (stealth grey), 2014 Ford F150 Crewcab, 2015 Porsche Boxter GTS, 2013 Mercedez Benz ML350, 2003 Mercedes Benz C32AMG, 1989 Honda CRX Si Turbo
A quart every 500 miles? Sounds like a chain saw.

Reactions: pjk

Sponsored

JWB350R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350R (Kona Blue)

The one key scenario always makes me wonder what happened to the second key? After all, how often do you loose a car key?

GTthree50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic Grey 2017 GT350
If oil consumption is a concern, after picking up the car, drive it, park it for 15 minutes and check the oil level. Hopefully it is between the two marks. Then put as many hard miles on the car as you possibly can within the five days. More the better. If you can do at least 1000 miles that would be ideal. Check the oil using the same procedure as above and if you find the oil at or near the same level on the stick you’re good to go. Any significant drop (1 gt or more) could be an indication of excessive oil consumption. I believe Ford says a quart every 500 miles is acceptable, but I would think most people on this form would agree that it is not.
This would be my advice as well. If you can put enough mileage on it during those a first few days you’ll be able to tell if consumption is a problem and you will get to know the car during that time. Best of luck and I hope it’s a solid ride that won’t give you headaches.

Rubyred17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
The one key scenario always makes me wonder what happened to the second key? After all, how often do you loose a car key?
I used to think the same thing until we recently moved and guess what I lost in the move because my extra Jeep key was in a kitchen drawer that was packed away????
Yep- the key fob !

JWB350R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350R (Kona Blue)
I used to think the same thing until we recently moved and guess what I lost in the move because my extra Jeep key was in a kitchen drawer that was packed away????
Yep- the key fob !
I tend to think of divorce, or repossession, as a possible cause. But that’s me.

Nfs1000f

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Neal
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 & 2019 Ford Fusion SEL Hybrid
How much could it cost the dealer to replace the missing key? I think it says a lot about a dealer that would sell a car with that price point with one key. What other minor issues is the dealer passing on fixing? I would stay away for that reason.

Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Probably the second key is somewhere "safe". So safe even the previous owner couldn't find it.

I just found my second key after nearly two years of not knowing where it was. I should say my wife found it. There was a basket near the front door that I would put keys in. She moved the basket into a storage container in the crawl space and didn't tell me. I started using the other key after looking for a very long time. I periodically looked for it over the last two years and could never find it. So - these things do happen.

key01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 now gone to a great home.
I have purchased my share of expensive cars used in order to take advantage of initial depreciation, but this was one of those purchases I needed to start my relationship with from ground zero. Lots of exotics and high end cars sold with one key. Repo, bank, dealer, has the other key. Price should include having to purchase a new key.

GTthree50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic Grey 2017 GT350
I owned two Porsche 911’s before buying the Shelby, both only came with one key which was unexplainable by both prior owners. Both cars were exceptional ownership experiences. A lost/missing key in these cases did not mean a troublesome car.

Mspeedster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350 Deep Impact Blue Track Pak
Regarding the key, you'd be surprised, there can be any number of reasons. I once traded in a car and purposely kept one key for sentimental reasons (told the dealer the second key was lost). This was 20 years ago, when keys were simply a metal key. I still have that key, now I wish I had kept the car instead.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Its an expensive reprogramming fee if you only have one key. You can buy the fobs on ebay for about $50, but without a second key, you cant program it. IIRC, its like $250 programming fee plus the dealer cost of the fob (which isn't going to be $50)

Chump change for some, but its still a nice dinner with the wife.

If you are serious about the car, let them eat the programming fee and second fob.
Sponsored