Sponsored

Is there any mechanical explanation for the Gen 3 Coyote BBQ tick?

Qcman17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cam
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT A10 Velocity Blue 301A
No FP warranty now, as my car is now more than 3 years old. The FP warranty starts from the date the car is purchased. I could put it all back to stock and just take in for inspection and see what they say. This is a last resort move.

I hear reports of other cars without the tune making the same noises. I am going to just drive it, check the oil filter for metal particles, and have an oil analysis done. If those 2 things show something bad, borescope, document, and then consider how to rebuild what needs rebuilding.

The knocking sound can only be heard when the engine is well warmed up, above 1500 RPMs, but below 3000 RPM, and accelerating under load which characteristicly would lead one to think "rod knock" but rod knock will also be heard when decelerating and I cannot get it to knock under deceleration. Leads me to think this is something else. Scratching my head.
Put the car in neutral and run it it up to 3k. Mine makes the same noises but I can’t duplicate it in park and many others have noted the same which wouldn’t make sense if it was a real engine problem. I think manual owners said the same about doing it in neutral.
Sponsored

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
Put the car in neutral and run it it up to 3k. Mine makes the same noises but I can’t duplicate it in park and many others have noted the same which wouldn’t make sense if it was a real engine problem. I think manual owners said the same about doing it in neutral.
I can't replicate the knock noise in neutral. Engine has a "dieselly" sound only at idle after it begins to warm up. Most of this noise from the passenger side and if I increase above idle and higher, it sounds normal as far as Coyote engines go.
There's certainly no loss of power when getting on the throttle.

Qcman17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cam
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT A10 Velocity Blue 301A
I can't replicate the knock noise in neutral. Engine has a "dieselly" sound only at idle after it begins to warm up. Most of this noise from the passenger side and if I increase above idle and higher, it sounds normal as far as Coyote engines go.
There's certainly no loss of power when getting on the throttle.
I would do what you mentioned earlier watch for oil consumption and a oil analysis to me would be good indicators. I use about a half liter of oil in 5000 km which I feel is fine but I do check it regularly just to be safe.

I’ve just come to accept this is a noisy engine and no sound has ever changed from new. To me if it was an issue it would get worse with time and use but it hasn’t at all.
I can’t say anything about idle but as mine gets near 3k it’s stupid noisy.

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
I would do what you mentioned earlier watch for oil consumption and a oil analysis to me would be good indicators. I use about a half liter of oil in 5000 km which I feel is fine but I do check it regularly just to be safe.

I’ve just come to accept this is a noisy engine and no sound has ever changed from new. To me if it was an issue it would get worse with time and use but it hasn’t at all.
I can’t say anything about idle but as mine gets near 3k it’s stupid noisy.
If oil consumption is any indication then I am good. I can't detect any drop in oil level. That makes me feel better about it.

Bulldog9

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bullitt, 2017 Tundra TRDPRO, 1976 Porsche 912
I wonder if the motor in the s650 will have the BBQ tick. I've read that it will have a metal oil pan.

Sponsored

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
I wonder if the motor in the s650 will have the BBQ tick. I've read that it will have a metal oil pan.
Yes, it will. It’s a Coyote and they all have it. If anything the new dual CAI setup could add other noises. The oil pan means nothing.

Robottrainer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Robottrainer
1,800 miles on my 2022 Eruption Green and I have the famous BBQ tick after doing my first oil change. Usually when the cars hot at idle, you’ll hear that little spark ignitor sound similar to a stovetop or a barbecue. It does not seem to be making any knocking or deep sounds, just that high pitched clicky sound. I posted some YouTube videos at the end of this comment to show exactly what it sounds like.

Since there appears to be hundreds of pages of BBQ tick on the different social media platforms, I’m wondering if anyone has developed a factual explanation as to what exactly it is and why?

I’ve heard many different theories.

1) piston slap (heard it was mainly an issue on the 2018-2019, and how some engines depending on their individual clearances sometimes had Piston to wall contact due to thermal heat expansion in the piston and aluminum block),

2) solenoid and oil pressure related - the 2018+ have a computer controlled oil bypass solenoid to lower oil pressure at idle to run more efficiently, and some theorize that the hydraulic lash adjusters at low oil pressure at idle are not fully inflated which causes a tiny gap between the hydraulic lash adjuster and rocker arm. When it does cycle it makes contact and “ticks”. When oil pressure goes up and you increase RPM, the HLA fully inflated and makes contact with the arm, and the ticking usually stops.

3) just run Liquimoly Ceratec as almost everyone I’ve talked to says it quiets the Gen 3 bbq tick and don’t think about it until if and when it blows up.

What are your thoughts on all of this? Anyone have special intel from a master tech or someone high up at Ford who’ve spilled the beans on what exactly is going on?

clip 1:

clip 2:
With the Roush Stage 2 you run 5W50. I also have higher oil pressure at idle and high rpm. No noises

Bulldog9

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bullitt, 2017 Tundra TRDPRO, 1976 Porsche 912
Yes, it will. It’s a Coyote and they all have it. If anything the new dual CAI setup could add other noises. The oil pan means nothing.
We will see

Chooka

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Vehicle(s)
Ford LTD
Are many guys reporting the tick with 21s or 22s?. Its such a random thing as not all cars do it?.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Are many guys reporting the tick with 21s or 22s?. Its such a random thing as not all cars do it?.
Brad all Coyote’s have the tick. It’s part on the engine although no one knows what part. The difference is in the volume. In some engines it is loud and distracting. In others is not as loud and manageable. Lastly there are some where it is not discernible. It’s totally the luck of the draw which one you get.

Sponsored

Robottrainer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Robottrainer
I had a 2000 GMC 5.3. It had a annoying tick. I got all kids of BS answers. I put almost 200k miles on it before I got rid of it. It never caused a problem or failed.

Mspider

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT
I don`t think I have ever hear these ticks/noises people talk about in my 2022. Although I noticed people say it starts to happen after the first oil change.

Either mine is going to stay under warranty for a while, not to worried.
Sponsored