Sponsored

Is there any mechanical explanation for the Gen 3 Coyote BBQ tick?

joe603

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium PP
I have an annoying sound coming from my passenger seat as well. It always sounds like it saying "slow down" and "stop driving like an a**hole". All the solutions I've come up with so far for this problem seem to cost a fortune.
So my wife really misses the "oh shit" handle on the S550...not sure why Ford wouldn't have something for the passenger to hold onto.
Sponsored

luc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT with PP
16 fuel injectors
32 valves
8 pistons

lots of things movin around in there.

piston slap would mean a ring was toast and you 'd be blowin smoke.
Not been my experience. A lot of Gm engines, including my 2001 3/4 ton suburban with the 8.1 engine, had pistons slap for a few minutes when starting from cold
Not an issue per Gm
As a matter of fact, mine sounded like a diesel for a couple of minutes
Just google Gm pistons slap for a technical explanation

Last edited:

AvalancheSVT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Douglas
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT PP1 6spd
if it wasn't blowing smoke then then you didn't experience what i did.

luc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT with PP
if it wasn't blowing smoke then then you didn't experience what i did.
??? You lost me, you stated that piston slap mean bad rings and oil burning, just pointing out that there is a least another reason for the slapping on some engines

AvalancheSVT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Douglas
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT PP1 6spd
??? You lost me, you stated that piston slap mean bad rings and oil burning, just pointing out that there is a least another reason for the slapping on some engines
generally speaking piston slap is an engine problem caused by rings being bad.
this could be gapping them incorrectly in a new build or them just being worn in an older engine.

it sounded like valvetrain noise in my cobra and went away after less than a minute.
when i took the motor back to the builder he said the back two pistons were toast and it had to be bored out. brought him a whole new unmolested teksid block and got a fresh stock bore rebuild. that motor never made anything but good sounds.

if you sit and listen to your motor for a while trying to find something to worry about you're gonna find it. my advice is to just make sure it aint burning oil and enjoy the car if it isn't giving you problems.

Sponsored

barron64

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT convertible PP1, 6sp, 2006 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab 4x4, 2009 Acura MDX, 2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser
I have 48K miles on my 18 now with no issues engine wise. Tick started at 3500mi on factory fill. Tried 5w-30 Mobile 1 and Castrol Edge with no change but one bottle of Ceratec fixed the tick.. Mobile 1 was definitely the noisest, with Castrol Edge marginally better. However, couple of oil changes ago I switched to Penzoil Ultra Platinum and guess what? Tick was gone.

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
The only rattle or squeak I have so far is from the passenger seat. If it is lowered all the way it squeaks.
That's a good idea. I think my passenger's seat is indeed all the way down. I'll try to raise it a bit to see if it helps with the squeak. All other rattles and buzzes are borderline acceptable with the music on, but the squeak exasperates me.
Thanks.
Nope. It's not the seat. It's this:

Oddly enough, it's only on the passenger's side. The same trim on the driver's side feels firmer and doesn't make any sounds when pressed.

paulm1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
pau
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT mustang
Not been my experience. A lot of Gm engines, including my 2001 3/4 ton suburban with the 8.1 engine, had pistons slap for a few minutes when starting from cold
Not an issue per Gm
As a matter of fact, mine sounded like a diesel for a couple of minutes
Just google Gm pistons slap for a technical explanation
Nissan vq40's do the same thing, and they're all aluminum, block & pistons. frontiers, pathfinders, xterras.

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
Nope. It's not the seat. It's this:

Oddly enough, it's only on the passenger's side. The same trim on the driver's side feels firmer and doesn't make any sounds when pressed.
You have at least one broken styrofoam support block on the back of that panel. To fix you need to remove the rear seats and panel to access the back. Repair with silicone or construction adhesive. These foam blocks are easily broken during installation. Cheap, horrible design.
1662745139597.png

Sponsored

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
Back on track... the engine noise... I had the random ball-bearing in a tin can noise. One bottle of Ceratec and 5W-30 Penzoil Platinum cured it. But the diesel noise at idle and under light to moderate load, accelerating from 1500rpm to 3000rpm is where it is quite pronounced. I have had cars with real knock problems and it sounds just like it. But it's not throwing any codes. It's almost embarrassing to drive away after a stop. To avoid it I have to either baby it or hammer on it. It's getting to the point of pissing me right off. I have a 2019 with the Ford Performance cold air intake and tune the car runs great it pulls like a beast but it's gawd awful engine noise would make you swear otherwise. If there truly is something wrong with my engine, a warranty claim is likely going to be denied.

CrackedHorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 Mustang GT/CS; 15 Mustang GT
Is the piston slap people refer to when the bottom of the piston comes out of the bore?
Piston slap is the bottom skirt of the piston "wobbling" as it moves up and down in the cylinder. Or out of round bore. Or really worn rings in a worn bore.

My 5.3 chevy (and a million others) have this issue due to GM making thr skirts shorter. It slaps when cold, goes away, drives fine and now has 210k miles.

Piston slap sounds more like a knock than a tick.

Last edited:

young at heart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 GT vert A10 / 23 Mach 1 A10 / 23 Mach 1 Tremec
Back on track... the engine noise... I had the random ball-bearing in a tin can noise. One bottle of Ceratec and 5W-30 Penzoil Platinum cured it. But the diesel noise at idle and under light to moderate load, accelerating from 1500rpm to 3000rpm is where it is quite pronounced. I have had cars with real knock problems and it sounds just like it. But it's not throwing any codes. It's almost embarrassing to drive away after a stop. To avoid it I have to either baby it or hammer on it. It's getting to the point of pissing me right off. I have a 2019 with the Ford Performance cold air intake and tune the car runs great it pulls like a beast but it's gawd awful engine noise would make you swear otherwise. If there truly is something wrong with my engine, a warranty claim is likely going to be denied.
Warranty denial expected because of the FP CAI and tune?

I thought that package was Ford sanctioned and warranty friendly.

Meatball

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT
Warranty denial expected because of the FP CAI and tune?

I thought that package was Ford sanctioned and warranty friendly.
Ford sanctioned (well, their engineering team and tools involved) but aftermarket so NOT warranty friendly for affected parts. However, if properly signed up for after installation, affected parts are covered by a different warranty through Ford Performance (a subsidiary of Ford) through 3/36 (I think) from date and mileage of new car purchase.

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
No FP warranty now, as my car is now more than 3 years old. The FP warranty starts from the date the car is purchased. I could put it all back to stock and just take in for inspection and see what they say. This is a last resort move.

I hear reports of other cars without the tune making the same noises. I am going to just drive it, check the oil filter for metal particles, and have an oil analysis done. If those 2 things show something bad, borescope, document, and then consider how to rebuild what needs rebuilding.

The knocking sound can only be heard when the engine is well warmed up, above 1500 RPMs, but below 3000 RPM, and accelerating under load which characteristicly would lead one to think "rod knock" but rod knock will also be heard when decelerating and I cannot get it to knock under deceleration. Leads me to think this is something else. Scratching my head.
Sponsored