Sponsored

Is there any mechanical explanation for the Gen 3 Coyote BBQ tick?

EruptionGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT 10 speed Performance Pack
1,800 miles on my 2022 Eruption Green and I have the famous BBQ tick after doing my first oil change. Usually when the cars hot at idle, you’ll hear that little spark ignitor sound similar to a stovetop or a barbecue. It does not seem to be making any knocking or deep sounds, just that high pitched clicky sound. I posted some YouTube videos at the end of this comment to show exactly what it sounds like.

Since there appears to be hundreds of pages of BBQ tick on the different social media platforms, I’m wondering if anyone has developed a factual explanation as to what exactly it is and why?

I’ve heard many different theories.

1) piston slap (heard it was mainly an issue on the 2018-2019, and how some engines depending on their individual clearances sometimes had Piston to wall contact due to thermal heat expansion in the piston and aluminum block),

2) solenoid and oil pressure related - the 2018+ have a computer controlled oil bypass solenoid to lower oil pressure at idle to run more efficiently, and some theorize that the hydraulic lash adjusters at low oil pressure at idle are not fully inflated which causes a tiny gap between the hydraulic lash adjuster and rocker arm. When it does cycle it makes contact and “ticks”. When oil pressure goes up and you increase RPM, the HLA fully inflated and makes contact with the arm, and the ticking usually stops.

3) just run Liquimoly Ceratec as almost everyone I’ve talked to says it quiets the Gen 3 bbq tick and don’t think about it until if and when it blows up.

What are your thoughts on all of this? Anyone have special intel from a master tech or someone high up at Ford who’ve spilled the beans on what exactly is going on?

clip 1:

clip 2:
Sponsored

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
I’m wondering if anyone has developed a factual explanation as to what exactly it is and why?
The straight forward answer today is the same as it has been since the introduction on the Gen 3 engine. "NO" There has been no definitive answer on the subject. Sorry, but it is what it is. :like:

Sponsored

paulm1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
pau
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT mustang
well you asked..........
1) i read that #3 cylinder has the longest oil path out of all of them and by the time oil get there at idle pressure is to low to keep the lifter inflated. That and $2. will get you a cup of coffee.

2) I had the tick after the first oil change in my new '21 back in may. Took it to my first track night about a week later and wrung the living piss out of it for 2x20 minute sessions. Cooked the stock brakes, almost boiled the fluid, had shift lockout of 2nd and 3rd gear, had a blast. And the tick has not come back. Somebody called that the Italian tune up.

schmeky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Shogun32.

Is correct.

I have run 10-W40 in my 2018 since the day I bought it and it literraly purrs. Super quiet, never a tick. Ever.

No additvies, just Full Synthetic 10W-40.

5W is for mileage, don't let the naysayers tell you otherwise.

Qcman17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cam
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT A10 Velocity Blue 301A
The bbq tick is not a Gen 3 thing but rather a Coyote thing for about 12years so I don’t know where you are hearing it’s piston slap but that is utter bullshit. Oil cavitation seems to have some possible explanation.

My engine is noisy but it runs like a champ and will for a long while yet I’ve no doubts and I’m sure the OPs will too. :)

Last edited:

trackd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
August
Vehicle(s)
19 GT PP2 (SOLD), 73 240Z RB26DETT
I've been using the track recommended viscosity per the manual and no tick so far. Will stick with this definitely.

Sponsored

Prymetime1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dion
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT/CS,
well you asked..........
1) i read that #3 cylinder has the longest oil path out of all of them and by the time oil get there at idle pressure is to low to keep the lifter inflated. That and $2. will get you a cup of coffee.

2) I had the tick after the first oil change in my new '21 back in may. Took it to my first track night about a week later and wrung the living piss out of it for 2x20 minute sessions. Cooked the stock brakes, almost boiled the fluid, had shift lockout of 2nd and 3rd gear, had a blast. And the tick has not come back. Somebody called that the Italian tune up.
I just got the tick after my second change ( earlier this week) ill take it out for a good stress relief ride and report back...

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra

Bulldog9

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bullitt, 2017 Tundra TRDPRO, 1976 Porsche 912
Seems that it is most commonly reported on fresh oil which is counter intuitive..... Seems to subside after some driving.

The sound is similar to lifter failure or loose valve, but as it goes away on revs, and is only intermittent on idle, and clearly lower in the block and not the heads, and from the rear, I'm at a loss, but I've not torn into one of these motors.

Also seems is present when cold. It is too sharp and rapid to be timing chain slap, and seems to come from the rear.

Piston slap rarely happens at idle and when cold unless the engine is roached. These new motors clearly aren't.

Chomperr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT ; 2016 Mustang V6 (Sold)
It annoyed me this one time I was sitting in the garage and noticed it for the first time.

I put on an aftermarket exhaust and can’t hear it anymore:like:

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
and I’m not sure why the “tick” is such a focal point on this site since the 2015 rolled out
Because Mustang owners. They complain about everything. My buddies Lambo engine makes all kinds of crazy noises. They all call it music. Be more like those Lambo guys.
Sponsored