Is the Performance Package worthwhile?

Tib

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium PP1
You are correct- I didn't explain enough. We bought preowned. Plus my pp pkg was only 4k
20220510_084858.jpg
Same here, bought pre-owned but the window sticker for mine also says $3995.00
Sponsored

Excelerater

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
id rather buy a Base and add my own parts which is what I did
but im a DIYer,if you have to pay for parts to be installed its prob better
to get the ford package...

5speed

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18GT
So I started out with a PP1 2018. I ran across it by accident driving by a dealer. Ford Performance Exhaust too and 6 speed, 3.73's The road near the dealer lead into an industrial area. Straight road with two 90 degree turns. Sales man was cool I went up and back and when I pulled in the dealer I just had to hit that road again. Redlined in Second which helped launch third. Such great power. Had to have it.
But coming off bikes and my last one being a KTM 1290, sophisticated suspension along with tires and Brembos. Exhaust, Killer intake (Rottweiler) and well we are talking pretty high performance ( 177HP, 535 lbs) all that subframe movement sloppiness was a no go.
Steeda Active suspension and Progressive Springs, Subframe Connectors frt & rear, Isolators, bushings, etc and this car is transformed. Plenty good enough for what I intend to do; did run Tail of the Dragon this past Wednesday. The Ford performance pack and some long tubes at some point, and while I would love more torque, that would start to get pricey so for now I am done.
3640150.jpg

lugbolt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
many
we also have to remember costs down the road. If you plan on keeping and driving the car over the long term, the PP specific stuff IS going to cost a little more to maintain/repair/replace. In 05 I bought a used 03 F-150 Lightning. Great truck. I put a bunch of miles on it (over 300,000) and of course as said, if you drive, you're going to have to maintain/fix. What I found out, was that some stuff on the Lightnings are specific to only the SVT trucks and since there weren't as many of them as regular F-150's, there weren't as many repair parts available. Seat upholstery was one (available now but wasn't then), shocks, some engine parts, etc. either more expensive and/or harder to find than normal run-of-the-mill F150 parts.

Hence the reason when I ordered my Mustang, I just ordered a normal one. I can afford a GT500 and want one but I can't justify it for a driver. I also own a 93 Mustang Cobra and same deal, it needs a few things and they are cobra specific, really hard to find and thus expensive.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
we also have to remember costs down the road. If you plan on keeping and driving the car over the long term, the PP specific stuff IS going to cost a little more to maintain/repair/replace. In 05 I bought a used 03 F-150 Lightning. Great truck. I put a bunch of miles on it (over 300,000) and of course as said, if you drive, you're going to have to maintain/fix. What I found out, was that some stuff on the Lightnings are specific to only the SVT trucks and since there weren't as many of them as regular F-150's, there weren't as many repair parts available. Seat upholstery was one (available now but wasn't then), shocks, some engine parts, etc. either more expensive and/or harder to find than normal run-of-the-mill F150 parts.

Hence the reason when I ordered my Mustang, I just ordered a normal one. I can afford a GT500 and want one but I can't justify it for a driver. I also own a 93 Mustang Cobra and same deal, it needs a few things and they are cobra specific, really hard to find and thus expensive.
Honestly a PP Mustang is pretty run of mill. None of the parts are really unique. Maybe the Brembo brake pads and the Torsen. Overwise you could go aftermarket and save some $$ over OEM.

Now the GT500 is a other story. But much like high end watches maintenance needs to be taken into account if you’re going to keep it for awhile.

Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra

Also having owned prior "niche" limited Mustangs and including my current 94 Cobra - Ford discontinues hard/soft parts of a vehicle 10 years after its production date, doesn't matter if it was SVT or not. So what used to be available direct through a local Ford Parts Dept. is usually no longer after the 10 year mark. That's NOT to say the parts are gone or can't be found at a later date. Any Ford Dealer Parts Dept. can do a Nationwide parts inventory search and may hit on a hard/soft item here or there - but for the most part, such parts won't be available directly through a local Ford Parts Dept. and it's not just the "niche" either.

Pallets of "old stock" is usually bundled from the Dealers and auctioned off or the aftermarket Vendors who specialize in NOS Ford parts get dibs to scoop it up, to which they will then have it available through their business. Places like Performance Parts Inc (Jim@PPI), Daniel Carpenter, LMR, CJ Pony, American Muscle, or National Parts Depot let alone all the little Mustang vendors in between is where one has to search for specific hard to find parts. Then there's all the "small guys" in between who were in the right place at the right time and scooped up old stock or came across it to resell.

Places like Rock Auto, Autozone, NAPA, O'Reilley's, Advance, and the like - sure you'll be able to get "maintenance" related parts but they'll be generic or the common parts used between many vehicles.

The SVT parts from 1993-2004 now surely are harder to find, but that's when you have to resort to those specialty vendors, eBay, specific forums and/or the salvage yards. Me personally, for my 1994 Cobra I've been able to find/score Cobra parts on eBay - you just have to search AND use different search terms because sellers don't always put the key words into the subject tag line.

---

I would not say the PP1 parts will be difficult to find like the SVT or Shelby parts - far from it. The reason being is the S550 PP vehicles were mass produced like cookies... The PP specific parts (suspension, rear diffs, brakes, wheels, gauges, etc) are interchangeable between both the GT PP and the EB PP. So you're talking currently (7) years of production between the GT/EB PP vehicles and literally thousands sold. I don't see any lack of inventory or parts for these vehicles, not even 10 more years out.

The SVT Mustangs 1993-2004 (and Lightnings) were not produced in as large a volume per year as the current S550 Shelby's, or the Bullitts/Mach 1's for that matter. The early or original 1993-2004 SVT vehicles were produced in far less quantities per year for each model year than later generations.

Put it this way, from 1993 to 2004, only 78,958 total SVT Mustangs (including R models) were produced in an 11 year time span. That's a very low overall production count, considering total Mustang "base" models produced in the same time frame. Even going forward from 2005-current "niche" Shelby/Bullitt/PP2/Mach 1/true 50th Anniversary models - that 78k SVT count between 1993-2004 was and is still very limited.

The S550 PP vehicles (2015-current) were produced in such LARGE volume overall, and being the parts are interchangeable between GT/EB, there's absolutely no comparison to an SVT, Shelby, Bullitt or Mach 1 product as far as lack of future parts availability.

--
Any S550 (GT or EB) is worth getting the PP "as built", rather than starting with a base and having to add PP specific parts later to get to the level of a PP.

Sure, folks who are good at sourcing the Ford PP parts for cheap and are DIYers CAN build up their own PP no doubt. Or for that matter, get BETTER aftermarket parts to build a better PP than what was available from Ford. But if you're a person who just wants a good handling/braking/equipped Mustang with performance out of the box and isn't interested in fiddling with mechanics or cost of buying said parts after the fact - if finances allow it, get the PP "As Built" and enjoy it. There won't be a parts or supply shortage for these vehicles any time soon.

Last edited:

DemonGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1991 Mustang GT, 2021 Mustang GT PP1
I already did the rears but just forgot!

The rear is slider caliper so the procedure is different. Not hard, just different.

You cant say you have a 93 cobra and not post a picture of it. Its the rules

SEAICE

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BW
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Convertible
Vehicle Showcase
"What I'm wondering is if it would've been better to wait and try to get one with the Performance package"... Umm ... You just bought this car a week ago... So why agonize over it now? don't look back and enjoy your new car. If you find it lacking in something, mod it accordingly.

jblue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2021 Twister Orange GT Premium 401A Ebony Stripes
For someone like myself, who doesn't plan to mod, it's worth it. Especially with Magne-ride.
I feel like Magnaride is the icing on the cake. I had friends who told me to order that on my car, as it is expensive to do it yourself. Plus you can change the drive modes. I love it, and feel it makes driving the car much more enjoyable.

Sponsored

Pkvir

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium-PP1
I feel like Magnaride is the icing on the cake. I had friends who told me to order that on my car, as it is expensive to do it yourself. Plus you can change the drive modes. I love it, and feel it makes driving the car much more enjoyable.
I agree 100%

lugbolt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
many
What do replacement magnaride shocks cost ;)

wheels? PP only as I recall (may be wrong).

Been through all this. Lightnings were not "specialty" but they was special enough that some replacement parts are NLA, nowhere to be found except the aftermarket (sometimes) and with that, they KNOW that they can't be gotten anywhere else, thus a pair of seat base upholstery for the Lightning, when I found them, were stupid high. It was cheaper to go with full Katzkin, drive 190 miles one way to the nearest installer, pay them to install them, and drive back home. That's kind of what I was referring to. I think you can get them now aftermarket. Whether or not they're any good is to be determined. Not that I care.

Junkyard option is out of the question here. There has not been a Mustang other than 94-98 v6, in any yard within 200 mile radius. In the 34 years I've been junkyarding, I found 2 GT's. One was a 93, the other a 97. OH I'm sorry I forgot about the 04 Cobra SHELL (that's all there was, a pristine shell only without a single removable part left on it). They were trying to sell the body only for $5500, and apparently did sell it.

Hence, when I ordered, I just got a run of the mill ecoboost. The options are limited, I don't need them for transportation, and with the looming forcing to EV, it appears that all of us are going to have a tough time with resale anyway. Besides I keep my stuff until it's so worn out that it goes to a salvage yard or crusher. I get my money's worth out of it.

stars_fan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
21 GT PP1, 20 Tesla M3P & 21 Ducati SFV4S
Interesting, so mine didn't really come with any of that. I just brought the car in to get the roush spoiler put on so it should like sweet once I get it back. Overall the car drives great and is powerful. One thing I cant figure out is the wheel size. I read the performance packs came with 275 rear and 255 front, the base was possibly 235 all around? So mine has 255 front and rear. Anyone else have this?
The base has 18” wheels and PP is 19”. The 20” accessory wheels came with 255 tires.

Sounds like your car has the 20” wheels.

19gtaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang GT, PP1 and 2021 Mach 1

67go

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
tacoma, mazdacx5, 22 Mustang GT Rapid Red
Good to hear about Magna ride. It was a last minute throw on that I wasn't sure if worth it. Nuts to worry about it now but these babies are getting too expensive. Hopefully sometime this June I'll be driving it!
Sponsored