Sponsored

Is the GT500 announcement expected to impact GT350 prices?

JR369

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500 Iconic
I still find it hard to comprehend your comment "Once the order banks open up for the 500, the market is going to be flooded with the GT350's from owners trading in for the 500 or a 2019 350".

As far as 2016 Tech Pack owners wanting to upgrade to a 2019 I am not sure why they would not have already made a move to a 2017 or 2018 model instead of waiting until 2019 to do that?

I have a lot of car buddies that presently own a GT350/R and with the exception of one friend who is sitting on the fence waiting for details on the upcoming GT500 I do not know any of them that are willing to make a move to a GT500 at this time. Maybe I just hang out with a totally different crowd than you and am totally wrong on this issue but that is what I have come to understand with my present car buddies.

Without knowing important aspects of the GT500 such as horsepower, weight, styling, transmission choices or lack thereof and of course pricing how can you be sure that everyone is going to jump on board especially the GT350/R enthusiasts?

A great example of where a group of high performance automobile enthusiasts should have jumped on board a more powerful and largely improved new vehicle was the huge following for the iconic Camaro who of course is the major competitor to the Mustang.

In 2013 Chevrolet really hyped up the new and upcoming 2014 Z28 which has a long a loyal following for 5 decades. This car was promoted big time by GM and Chevrolet based on a 427 CI engine, massive tires, wheels, carbon-ceramic brakes, independent front & rear suspension but once the car came out it was certainly a total flop from a sales standpoint and only ~600 cars produced for that MY. Who would have thought!

I am not suggesting that the GT500 will not impact the values of the GT350 but certainly no where near to the degree that you are suggesting whereby the market will be flooded with GT350/R's as there are just too many unknowns at this time in order to pass a positive or negative judgment.

If the GT500 is hugely successful and I sincerely hope that it is you will see a lot of movement from the GM, Chevrolet and Mopar camps along with enthusiasts moving over from some of the European and German brands and not near as much movement from the GT350/R crowd that you are suggesting.

:)
Spot on. I don’t see the used car market being “flooded” with 213x GT350R’s all of the sudden. More like 5-10 tops. Mine will certainly not be one of them. Some 16 Tech Packs and 17 GT350’s? Sure a few more but not enough to crash the devaluation needle.
Sponsored

Last edited:

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
One thing we are not mentioning...any GT350 or especially an R that gets traded "up" for a 500 will just be marked back up so that the dealers can triple-dip on them - they are still relevant and desirable enough to command good money, especially on a dealer lot where people make emotional purchases all day long. So even if people "dump" a GT350 as a trade-in for $40k - the market will never see that. The dealer will then offer it back up for $55k. I don't see that making a difference.

Now - people who have plenty of money to buy whatever they want...and don't already own something might just spend the extra for the latest and greatest...but on the flipside, there are many savvy buyers who would never be interested in a 500, or don't want to spend that kind of money, who are waiting for a good deal on a used 350.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
I don't like it when a ZL1 1LE comes up in my rear view mirror at the track and blows by be when my foot is on the floor.

The 500 is most likely going to be the next evolution and a much more capable track car.

Myself included, I dig the whole purist NA balanced track car. I don't think I will be selling either R. However, to be competitive, Ford has to raise the bar and build the next evolution of track car.

People keep using previous generations of 350s and 500s as a comparison in thier perceived roles. The 500 is going to be a track car and multi trick pony. Mark my words.

Pick your weapon. NA? FI? each will have its own benefits and drawbacks. Since I believe the 500 will be an evolution of the 350, it probably will be more desirable.

Now with that said, the whole dealer ADM fiasco throws a wrench into it. Choose a 350 below MSRP or a 500 at a very large ADM and what do you think will happen there? Hmm....

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
I don't like it when a ZL1 1LE comes up in my rear view mirror at the track and blows by be when my foot is on the floor.

The 500 is most likely going to be the next evolution and a much more capable track car.

Myself included, I dig the whole purist NA balanced track car. I don't think I will be selling either R. However, to be competitive, Ford has to raise the bar and build the next evolution of track car.

People keep using previous generations of 350s and 500s as a comparison in thier perceived roles. The 500 is going to be a track car and multi trick pony. Mark my words.

Pick your weapon. NA? FI? each will have its own benefits and drawbacks. Since I believe the 500 will be an evolution of the 350, it probably will be more desirable.

Now with that said, the whole dealer ADM fiasco throws a wrench into it. Choose a 350 below MSRP or a 500 at a very large ADM and what do you think will happen there? Hmm....
I certainly get it when it comes to a ZL1 1LE coming up in your rear view mirror in Daytona and then blows by your R model and why you are very motivated with purchasing a new GT500 in order to put the Camaro in it's rightful place.

Also very happy to hear that you are not planning on selling either of your R models.

With your plan to keep your two R's and hopefully securing a new GT500 you will certainly be in a very unique and special position to own 3 outstanding Mustangs both NA and FI and can't wait to see and hear when you have the chance to run your new GT500 against the Track Purpose Built ZL1 1LE Camaro.

Having said all that it will be interesting for you and I to have a conversation say ~5 years from now whereby we discuss the resale values at that time for your two R models and for your GT500.

Looking forward to the journey and our continued discussions!

:like::like:

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
I certainly get it when it comes to a ZL1 1LE coming up in your rear view mirror in Daytona and then blows by your R model and why you are very motivated with purchasing a new GT500 in order to put the Camaro in it's rightful place.

Also very happy to hear that you are not planning on selling either of your R models.

With your plan to keep your two R's and hopefully securing a new GT500 you will certainly be in a very unique and special position to own 3 outstanding Mustangs both NA and FI and can't wait to see and hear when you have the chance to run your new GT500 against the Track Purpose Built ZL1 1LE Camaro.

Having said all that it will be interesting for you and I to have a conversation say ~5 years from now whereby we discuss the resale values at that time for your two R models and for your GT500.

Looking forward to the journey and our continued discussions!

:like::like:
In the spirit of the thread title below....

Is the GT500 announcement expected to impact GT350 prices?

my last paragraph in my last post about summed it up. Initially, ADM's will keep the mainstream folks away from the 500 (assuming it is a smash hit). That would either drive people towards the '19 350s or to another brand. So I dont think the 500 will adversly affect 350 sales for the short time that they are on the dealers lot together.

Like shopping for any car, people have budgets and buy what they can afford within reason. Many will probably not elect to "dump" thier 350 for a 500 because of the cost to do so. They may want to, but the 350 is not a turd and there will be a significant cost in trading up in the immediate future.

If the 500 winds up picking up where the 350 left off, it will be in high demand and the dealer mark ups will be crazy. I feel that until ADM's settle down, then the car may very well be out of reach of the masses until the madness settles down.

So, will the 500 release directly affect the prices of new 350s on the lot? I say no, not anything more than a normal decline due to a 4.5 year run. Historical values of past models may be a good indicator (depending on future models).

Many are speculating about the long term proposition of ownership and pricing. I feel it all depends on what Ford does next. If this is the last example of a large NA track car, certainly the R models will fare better than the standard 350s. The category as a whole will probably fare better than previous track mustangs in the past. However as some have pointed out, the 350 and 500 will always be an apples to oranges comparison. Each have thier different characteristics and each is a different tool in the bag.

It is my opinion that if you are in an R right now, I would not be in any hurry to dump it for a 500 unless you already have a great deal lined up. Long term values will probably decline to a point and then begin to increase. These kind of cars are not and never will be good investments. Buy them and enjoy them.

Sponsored

svttim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
In the long term, longer than Ill be around, the fact that a ZL1 or a GT500 will blow by you in the straights will have no effect on value. If history repeats itself, and it very well may not, the 350R will be a great investment. The low production number and the unique fpc will set the GT350R apart from the supercharged cars. The GT350 shares the FPC and will also fair well but with production numbers like we have seen, it will not fair as well. The GT500 is going to kill the competition but again, if history is an indicator, they will make a lot of them (relatively speaking) and the value will drop as did previous generations. And then there is the price of the car not to mention ADMs which will be there at first. I decided on the 350R over the 500 because I wanted a track focused car. The 500 will do well at the track but handling wise, its not going to handle with a 350. Horsepower will more than make up for it but...………

All this said, I didn't by the R for an investment. I bought it because its a very special car.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
There are some people out there who prefer Hoosiers over the Jay Hawks. Poor souls...
I have to agree with them. You ever try to mount Jayhawks on a set of rims?

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
Hopefully on Monday morning the GT500 gets exposed as a total fatass of an overpowered and underbraked turd. At which point GT350's will continue to hold their value and I can bargain for less than MSRP on a new GT500.:)

I also hope there is a lot of tears shed over an auto-only transmission by the stuck on a manual for life crowd. Could demand be lessened as a result? Probably not but a man can dream, can't he?

Last edited:

svttim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
Hopefully on Monday morning the GT500 gets exposed as a total fatass of an overpowered and underbraked turd. At which point GT350's will continue to hold their value and I can bargain for less than MSRP on a new GT500.:)

I also hope there is a lot of tears shed over an auto-only transmission by the stuck on a manual for life crowd. Could demand be lessened as a result? Probably not but a man can dream, can't he?
Yea, not going to happen. But, the price may be a factor

TX GT350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
It depends if the GT500 gets offered with a manual or DCT only. We'll know that tomorrow after the release.

GT500 is a cross-plane crank so the flat-plane is still unique to the GT350

Sponsored

Nfs1000f

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Neal
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 & 2019 Ford Fusion SEL Hybrid

firestarter2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR G350 Track
Reading the leaks the GT500 sounds like it will be very expensive and sold along side the GT350 at least for a little while. Im guessing a 68 to 75K base price with the track version being 78 to 85k.

Edit the X factor is a lower revving engine made for boost could actually be quite a bit cheaper than the VOODOO.

Kurac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 R
I agree the price will be expensive and very close to slightly used Gen V Viper territory....I’ll take the Viper. The brochure pics of the hood and front clip just don’t do it for me. Looks are subjective, but the GT350R is pinnacle in Mustang style. Combine that with no manual, and it’s going to be a completely different driving experience. I’ll venture to guess it will be less engaging. It will be a car to chase 1/4 miles times and lap times, over driver engagement.

firestarter2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR G350 Track
I agree the price will be expensive and very close to slightly used Gen V Viper territory....I’ll take the Viper. The brochure pics of the hood and front clip just don’t do it for me. Looks are subjective, but the GT350R is pinnacle in Mustang style. Combine that with no manual, and it’s going to be a completely different driving experience. I’ll venture to guess it will be less engaging. It will be a car to chase 1/4 miles times and lap times, over driver engagement.
Funny I was thinking if I had to consolidate into one car I would want a DCT or automatic. I do not have that need now but it is a consideration.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Funny I was thinking if I had to consolidate into one car I would want a DCT or automatic. I do not have that need now but it is a consideration.
Why would you want a DCT or automatic? Need to keep a hand free for the Big Gulp?
Sponsored