Sponsored

Is the base 2018-2020 Mustang GT similar to 2015-17 GT Perfromance Pack?

Crowd Hunter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
$hitbox
I have owned both the 2016 GT PP and a 2019 GT PP, and the suspension rides about the same on both. In my opinion, the stock dampers and springs are the weak point of the GT PP. On my 2016, I pulled the stock suspension and replaced it with the FP Track handling suspension. On the 2019 (which currently only has 428 miles) I pulled the stock dampers and springs and installed Koni Yellows and BMR handling springs.

The other things included with the PP that make it worth the extra cost are the larger brakes, better wheel/tire package, LSD, extra bracing, better cooling, and thicker sway bars. Now, the gearing on the 2018+ MT82 is COMPLETELY different than the 2015-2017, which makes the car seem much more docile.

To answer the OP question, the 2018+ GT PP rides almost exactly the same as the 2015-2017 PP, but the current non-PP cars don't ride like the earlier PP cars.
Sponsored

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Not exactly. Not only does the torsen have a significantly higher torque bias ratio, the way it happens is completely different from a track lok clutch pack. The track lok is more-or-less an open diff with preloaded clutches that prevent gross slippage when there is a lightly loaded wheel, and resists relative speed between inside/outside wheels in cornering. It doesn't do so until there is a relative speed difference between the wheels that create a thrust force across the diff. Thus, there is a bit of a delay in the biased torque delivery to the outside tire say, exiting a corner. The torsen operates in an entirely different way. There's lots of youtube videos showing the difference. I can tell you having swapped out my track lok for a torsen, that it is a vastly different driving experience for corner exit grip and the natural yaw it creates with the high torque bias ratio.
Thanks for the clarification, you seem pretty knowledgeable about these cars. I've been thinking about swapping in a 3.73 torsen into my car. Is it worthwhile? Or should I put 4.09 gears in while I'm at it?

Brian@BMVK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT - Sold
Thanks for the clarification, you seem pretty knowledgeable about these cars. I've been thinking about swapping in a 3.73 torsen into my car. Is it worthwhile? Or should I put 4.09 gears in while I'm at it?
The diff is absolutely worth it. For the 2018+ D4 gear ratios, 4.09 seems to be the ticket. It makes it fairly similar to the 3.73 and 2015-2017. Even with the 3.73 it's a big upgrade if you enjoy driving the car around corners.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
The diff is absolutely worth it. For the 2018+ D4 gear ratios, 4.09 seems to be the ticket. It makes it fairly similar to the 3.73 and 2015-2017. Even with the 3.73 it's a big upgrade if you enjoy driving the car around corners.
I normally drive the car like an old man, but I do enjoy the occasional canyon run. My main concern is warranty, since everything I've seen points to the PCM needing a flash to accept the new ratio properly.

Sponsored

Brian@BMVK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT - Sold
I normally drive the car like an old man, but I do enjoy the occasional canyon run. My main concern is warranty, since everything I've seen points to the PCM needing a flash to accept the new ratio properly.
On the 15-17 cars that are tuned, they do not require an adjusted PCM calibration for the ratio change. Stock cars that tried to modify the FORscan data have had issues. I'm unsure of whether or not anyone has done it without trying to update the ratio in the as-built. The wheel speed sensors are used for your speedometer, so that would not be different. I'm unsure if this would change on the 2018+. Not likely, but Ford changes a lot of little stuff all the time.

If you mostly just cruise, the torsen upgrade may not be the best use of money for you. The gearing alone would be, though.

Semp1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1 Magneride
Maybe that vast difference you feel is the actual gear ratio? 3.55 to a 3.73
Thats a good point. The manual comes with 373 I believe only if you get the PP1 or 2 package. that too makes the package a buy at least for manual drivers.

Semp1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
409s are not good for street driving, if they were the gt350 would have them 373 are the all around best gear ratios in my opinion for the 18 GT at least the MT82.. The 409 will hit harder off the line but that's it. when it comes to driving will not b as fun for a street driven car.

Crowd Hunter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
$hitbox
What's the average installation cost of swapping the gears to 4.09s?

Semp1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Sponsored

Semp1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
On the 15-17 cars that are tuned, they do not require an adjusted PCM calibration for the ratio change. Stock cars that tried to modify the FORscan data have had issues. I'm unsure of whether or not anyone has done it without trying to update the ratio in the as-built. The wheel speed sensors are used for your speedometer, so that would not be different. I'm unsure if this would change on the 2018+. Not likely, but Ford changes a lot of little stuff all the time.

If you mostly just cruise, the torsen upgrade may not be the best use of money for you. The gearing alone would be, though.
hmm..not so sure about that. Ive never heard of a tune not needing to be adjusted after a different gear ratio being installed. Similar to a PCM/tune needing to be adjusted after a new set of tires at a slightly different diameter are installed. To properly reflect your change usually changes need to be made to the tune/PCM.

Brian@BMVK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT - Sold
hmm..not so sure about that. Ive never heard of a tune not needing to be adjusted after a different gear ratio being installed. Similar to a PCM/tune needing to be adjusted after a new set of tires at a slightly different diameter are installed. To properly reflect your change usually changes need to be made to the tune/PCM.
3 for 3 cars between mine and two others locally that did not require a PCM/tune update for gear ratio. There are many others on the forum here too. Speedometer comes from the wheel speed sensors.

Semp1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What's the average installation cost of swapping the gears to 4.09s?
Depends on the shop. I believe its like a 4 hour job. So does the shop charge hourly or give a rate.

Brian@BMVK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT - Sold

Semp1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3 for 3 cars between mine and two others locally that did not require a PCM/tune update for gear ratio. There are many others on the forum here too. Speedometer comes from the wheel speed sensors.
I just have never heard of any one that I personally know not adjusting the calibration. Its like saying I went from 275/40 to a 305/35 tire. Yeah there’s only a -1mile difference on the odometer/speedomter and it works but is it 100% correct. But like I said you might be correct with the S550s although the article I sent mentions 2015+ models. I just wanted to make one other point. If you have an auto in regards to changing gear ratios how do the shift points adjust with out a tune/pcm adjustment? From what I understand even Ford performance with some of their power packs include PCM flashes for the gear ratio changes.
Sponsored

Last edited: