Is my traction control working ?

steerage250

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ian
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Fastback, 1928 Model A Ford
I've had my GT 4 1/2 years now. Many times (not intentionally), I've had rear wheel spin, and the back end slide out a bit. I've always thought "s&%t, if this is what it's like with traction control on, I wouldn't like to try it with traction control off" - just thought "this is what it's like in a Mustang". However, after talking to a mate wth a V8 Lexus, I'm beginning to wonder whether traction control is working at all on my car (he reckons his wheels will only slip momentarily until the traction control kick-in).

I've never had an occasion to think "ooow - the traction control kicked-in there".

Has anyone else ever had the traction control do anything that they've noticed?
Sponsored

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
I've had my GT 4 1/2 years now. Many times (not intentionally), I've had rear wheel spin, and the back end slide out a bit. I've always thought "s&%t, if this is what it's like with traction control on, I wouldn't like to try it with traction control off" - just thought "this is what it's like in a Mustang". However, after talking to a mate wth a V8 Lexus, I'm beginning to wonder whether traction control is working at all on my car (he reckons his wheels will only slip momentarily until the traction control kick-in).

I've never had an occasion to think "ooow - the traction control kicked-in there".

Has anyone else ever had the traction control do anything that they've noticed?
I have found the Traction and Stability control to very lenient in this car, leading to a few 'oh shit' moments over the years.

What mode are you driving in?

OP
OP

steerage250

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ian
Vehicle(s)

OzS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
GT Fastback
I agree with DFB5.0, the Mustang does have a great tendency to get out of shape.

I always thought the front end was very faithful but the rear has a mind of its own.

However, since I've had the Steeda RCLA bearings and FP toe knuckles installed this past 12 months, the rear has not got out of shape like it used to. The previously installed BMR cradle lockout and was useful, but it has been the last round of changes that have made the biggest difference. At the front, I do think the Steeda lateral links with raised ball joints that have raised the roll centre (only important if you're lowered) have further improved the already good steering.

GT 550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT MT S550
@steerage250 as stated above it's not unusual for a Mustang with stock suspension and Pirellis to step sideways, particularly on uneven roads even at modest throttle. Is it side stepping ie twitchy or actually spinning up? If it's a twitch/chirp then everything is probably working as intended.

Sponsored

OP
OP

steerage250

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ian
Vehicle(s)
The rear wheels will happily spin if a give t a bit too much right foot - particularly in the wet, particularly as they hit the white painted line at the lights etc. If the front wheels are turned, it will also skip sideways.

Does anyone else's car spin happily with the wheels pointed straight ahead ?

OP
OP

steerage250

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ian
Vehicle(s)
yes, seemingly both wheels
Sponsored