Sponsored

Is my car falling apart?

axon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium
So today I was just driving around when suddenly I hear something hit my undercarriage, I look in the rearview and I see something come from underneath the car, bounce off the road and come to rest by the grass. I looped around and found what it was, it is this thing:

IMG_4474.jpg

IMG_4475.jpg

I looked on my dash cam and I can't see it on the road before I heard it hit my car. Is it a part from my car? If so what part is it and where does it go? Thanks.

Edit: Forgot to add, besides wheels and a custom shift knob, the car is totally stock.
Sponsored

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Don't think that was from an S550

Sponsored

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
Looks like something that fell off the Batmobile, lol.

ahl395

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2006 Infiniti G35X
Is your car manual? I'm no expert, but I believe it's a counter weight for your shifter.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Is your car manual? I'm no expert, but I believe it's a counter weight for your shifter.
FWIW, I didn't see anything like that when I replaced the factory shifter with an MGW.

ahl395

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2006 Infiniti G35X
FWIW, I didn't see anything like that when I replaced the factory shifter with an MGW.
I believe it's only on the 18/19s with the revised MT82.

Enzo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Enzo
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1
I have spent a lot of time underneath my s550 doing suspension work and that is not from your car.

Sponsored
OP
OP
axon

axon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium
That is exactly what it was, not sure how essential it is since it shifted fine for the week I didn't have it on. The dealership ordered a new one and put it on. Here's the part diagram/number from parts.ford.com in case it falls off anyone else's car:

View media item 15223

I have spent a lot of time underneath my s550 doing suspension work and that is not from your car.
Well it ended up being a part from the car, see above.

Last edited:

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP

usgiorgi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C6 Z06
That is exactly what it was, not sure how essential it is since it shifted fine for the week I didn't have it on. The dealership ordered a new one and put it on. Here's the part diagram/number from parts.ford.com in case it falls off anyone else's car:
I don't think it does any harm driving without it, but I'm surprised you didn't feel a difference in shifting. When I took the counterweight off in my Mazdaspeed3, it was a night and day difference. Plus it was about half that size haha.

el-guapin

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tesla.com
Vehicle(s)
1949 UFO
That is exactly what it was, not sure how essential it is since it shifted fine for the week I didn't have it on. The dealership ordered a new one and put it on. Here's the part diagram/number from parts.ford.com in case it falls off anyone else's car
Any idea /explanation as to how that part just "fell off"?

OP
OP
axon

axon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium
I don't think it does any harm driving without it, but I'm surprised you didn't feel a difference in shifting. When I took the counterweight off in my Mazdaspeed3, it was a night and day difference. Plus it was about half that size haha.
Haha, I know, it’s weird that I can’t tell the difference. Approximately 95% of my driving is just cruising on the highway in 6th so I guess I’m out of touch with rowing through all the gears.

Any idea /explanation as to how that part just "fell off"?
The dealer said the pin holding it walked itself loose, probably from a half-assed installation.
Sponsored