Sponsored

is 400hp on the V8 realistic with...

Potrillo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 DIB GT Premium
I thought I read that there isn't a great deal of room under the hood for a different intake manifold.
Sponsored

AMAlexLazarus

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.americanmuscle.com
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
'14 F150 EcoBoost/'08 Bullitt
Hey Alex, any word on intake manifolds for the 2015 yet?
Great question! We're still tearing ours apart but I should have an answer for you later this week!

Alex

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
So for the 15 we're looking at:

Base 375...
CAI + Tune--25hp
Catback--25.

That alone brings you to 425. That still leaves removing the cats 5-10hp maybe. Boss/CJ intake another 15-25. Then headers another 5-10, I'm not sure. Using your previous gen math but adding in the latest info we have on the '15 restrictive exhaust gains

So on the low end you've got at least 450-470whp with bolt-ons. What is really left to be gained? honestly I think these numbers are low due to the other changes already made to the motor by Ford. A tune could bring in far more than what the previous gen did. I'm also low balling the cat and lt header gains as I'm not familiar with the gains and how it's going to relate to the new 5.0

I don't believe those catback gains, not one bit. If they came from somebody not trying to sell them, maybe. Deleting the cats will yield far greater gains than a catback.

The biggest variable is the tune. You can't simply say how much power can be unlocked with a tune as they are dictated by the person writing it. If one tuner has access to good fuel and all the time he needs he would get better gains than someone stuck with crap gas on a time crunch. Guys like BAMA will yield smaller gains as they tune for the masses whereas those people looking to get every last drop of power would have to call up tuners like AED, RevAuto, Jon Lund, and so on. Custom tuning is the most important aspect of getting gains from mods.

Whatever can get the RPM's up is where you'll start seeing big number gains because of those freer flowing heads and 13mm lift cams. Whether that will drop ET's depends on many other factors.

CAI+custom tune= maybe 20-25hp
Cat delete/off-road midpipe= 15-20hp(with custom tune to match)
Longtube headers= 25-30hp(with custom tune, 10-15hp over cat deletes)
Catback= 10hp is my guess

traxiii

Mustang is my middle name
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Thunderbird F150 & '22 Mach 1 on order.
I would love to see someone do a couple baseline runs, then swap in just straight tubes with maybe a crossover tube in place of the suitcase resonator and get HP gains removing it only. Get some sound clips of both before going on to whatever system you're going to use.

It would be interesting to see what it would sound like, and I'd bet that suitcase is where the majority of the gains these guys are claiming are coming from.

Sponsored

DivineStrike

Doomsday
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GTPP, 11 F150 FX4, 07 CBR600RR
I don't believe those catback gains, not one bit. If they came from somebody not trying to sell them, maybe. Deleting the cats will yield far greater gains than a catback.

The biggest variable is the tune. You can't simply say how much power can be unlocked with a tune as they are dictated by the person writing it. If one tuner has access to good fuel and all the time he needs he would get better gains than someone stuck with crap gas on a time crunch. Guys like BAMA will yield smaller gains as they tune for the masses whereas those people looking to get every last drop of power would have to call up tuners like AED, RevAuto, Jon Lund, and so on. Custom tuning is the most important aspect of getting gains from mods.

Whatever can get the RPM's up is where you'll start seeing big number gains because of those freer flowing heads and 13mm lift cams. Whether that will drop ET's depends on many other factors.

Normally I would agree with you. As with modern vehicles I just haven't seen anywhere near these gains with just a catback on an NA vehicle. However I don't think you can totally discount the gains multiple manufacturers are claiming from a simple catback. Don't forget these catbacks include an x-pipe. Also, Ford has plenty of motivation to keep the exhaust as a choke point to yield easy gains at later MY's. It may not be the complete 25-30whp gains these manufacturers are claiming but I don't think 15-20 is anywhere near out of the question. If I remember correctly the patent picture of the suitcase has all kinds of restrictions in it. It's not a very free flowing design, on top of the two mufflers, which are probably pretty restrictive as well. Hopefully by the end of the month we can lay these claims to rest with a 3rd party test of these exhaust systems.

Gman11Gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
^^Precisely, and to make up for the weight gain of the S550 I surely hope there is solid tunes and more aftermarket support to get easy HP gains since it appears on paper the S550 isn't any faster then the S197 with the weight gain and not enough HP gain to bridge the gap.

I hate fat cars, especially a Mustang since they have normally been the lighter of the 3 pony cars.

Aftermarket support will be key to the success of this car I would think.

SVTFreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Wimbledon white LE #275 A6
Give me a stock one and a dyno, I can make it read 400hp for you. Or 200. Or 700 even.

Forget dyno numbers. They aren't realistic and all depend on calculations that many dyno operators manipulate. Only good for doing same car before and after mods for hp gain. Mph in the 1/4 is a better indicator.

Trevon

97 Hummer, 15 GT
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Vehicle(s)
15 GT PP Recaro
All these people looking at catback exhausts make me laugh...and the axleback ones are just plain hilarious. The cats are practically a part of the exhaust manifold, so why not do full exhaust?! Now if you admit it's purely for sound that's one thing, expecting to gain hp from it?! Insane. Especially because modern cat's give almost no restriction to the exhaust.

It's so close, save the money and do headers, too.

And as for the dyno numbers?! ONLY WHP matters. Who cares that both the 5.0 and the Mercedes S class put out 435hp at the crank, each has a different driveline and therefore different parasitic loss. Or if you're trying to shove 600hp through a Powerglide or TH400, the difference could be upwards of 50hp on transmission alone. Then every diff is gonna be different. I could go on. Engine dynoes mean absolutely nothing. And, as stated, every comparison must be on the same dyno, same day, same operator.

IndustryLeech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP, 2012 V6 'vert, '70 VW Bug, '01 Disco 2
Something I've always wondered. Are automatic transmissions (slush boxes) more parasitic to HP than manuals?

Sponsored

DivineStrike

Doomsday
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
All these people looking at catback exhausts make me laugh...and the axleback ones are just plain hilarious. The cats are practically a part of the exhaust manifold, so why not do full exhaust?! Now if you admit it's purely for sound that's one thing, expecting to gain hp from it?! Insane. Especially because modern cat's give almost no restriction to the exhaust.

Umm because the previous 5.0 had notable gains from removing cat's with an offroad x-pip combined with catback. Just depends on the manufacturer. Catback for my GTI did almost nothing but add an offroad downpipe (which removes the cat) and there are gains to be had :thumbsup: Granted an axleback is just for sound.

Netromancer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2015 Triple Yellow Mustang GT
Because it's not an option if you live in CA. Well I guess I could, but then 6 years down the road I'll have to swap the stock headers and cats back in. But I don't think its worth it for the gains I'd get.

Now as for the cat-back system, I defiantly believe those 20-30 HP gains. The stock exhaust system is incredibly restrictive and muffled, its obvious when you listen to it. Since the Mustang is a world car now, the stock exhaust system was probably a compromise to appease another countries sound regulations or w/e.

jimmythepage666

zoom zoom
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
sean
Vehicle(s)
Subaru wrx
I did full bolt ons for my 2012 5.0, and it put down 420rwhp. I was having trouble figuring out how to get the intake tube on so I had to pull the motor. Since the motor was out I decided to go all out and I added cams from an old corvette. Then I ran it on an engine Dyno and it put down 509 horsepower. True story.

DivineStrike

Doomsday
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I guess if you have the name Jimmy, then you're automatically a jokester lol

mlor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 BMW 135i
I did full bolt ons for my 2012 5.0, and it put down 420rwhp. I was having trouble figuring out how to get the intake tube on so I had to pull the motor. Since the motor was out I decided to go all out and I added cams from an old corvette. Then I ran it on an engine Dyno and it put down 509 horsepower. True story.
Would you say that it "had it goin' like a turbo 'Vette"?
Sponsored