Iphone 7 (Sep 7th)

DeLorean17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I've had my 6 since new, never got the 6s, and my faceplate is starting to separate from the housing. I just NEED a new phone before this one stops working. I was going to switch to a Galaxy S7, but upgrading to a new iPhone is just a lot easier, plus I think my brother, (who works in an apple store) would never talk to me again.
Sponsored

tom_sprecher

Living Race Car Free
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP 6MT Race Red
Depends where you're starting and your various use cases.
I have a 64GB 6 that is used mainly for communicating (a few thousand business contacts, internet, email, text, phone, etc.), my calendar, some apps (Waze, Yelp, football schedules and scores, grocery lists, etc.) and maps when traveling. The camera gets very little use and and the headphones are still in the box I guess. :shrug:

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
I've had my 6 since new, never got the 6s, and my faceplate is starting to separate from the housing. I just NEED a new phone before this one stops working. I was going to switch to a Galaxy S7, but upgrading to a new iPhone is just a lot easier, plus I think my brother, (who works in an apple store) would never talk to me again.
A 6 to a 7 is a pretty decent jump. Huge improvement in the camera, better TouchID, better display, a couple of generations of CPU/GPU, better battery life.

The S7 is a solid piece of hardware, really good camera, so-so support, and Android is still a bit of a mess - this coming from someone who had several Android devices starting way back in the Eclair days, from Motorola, HTC, Samsung, and in fact, I still have pretty consistent access (for development) to a Note 4 and S6. I got tired very quickly of customizing ROM (even had a few of my own releases), adding a bunch of badly designed widgets, making the phone semi-unusable for anyone else who picked it up.

Give one a shot though, maybe you'll like it.

I have a 64GB 6 that is used mainly for communicating (a few thousand business contacts, internet, email, text, phone, etc.), my calendar, some apps (Waze, Yelp, football schedules and scores, grocery lists, etc.) and maps when traveling. The camera gets very little use and and the headphones are still in the box I guess. :shrug:
Yep, sounds like the new features aren't applicable to you and your current device does a great job for your use. :cheers:

tom_sprecher

Living Race Car Free
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP 6MT Race Red
I've had a cell phone for about 20 years now. Nokia, Motorola, Samsung, BlackBerry, and an HTC once. Once I drank the Apple kool aid with the 6, I'll never go back.

OP
OP
Tems

Tems

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 DIB Mustang
Depends where you're starting and your various use cases. For some folks, just the camera improvements alone are worth it. For someone still using a 5, it's significant upgrades in every component plus a number of new technologies (NFC, TouchID)

"Worth" is pretty subjective. :)

And like I've said (and said ...), don't expect much in the way of new hardware that radically changes the way you use a mobile device - the only thing at this point is some totally rethought physical design/display/chassis.

FWIW, I didn't pre-order, like the water resistance, the new Plus camera sub-system seems pretty incredible, but my current [primary] device (6S+) has been so good, I hate even starting up with a new device. That being said, I'm on a payment plan, so I can just switch devices and keep paying the same monthly rate ... so maybe after the dust settles.

Definitely ordering Series 2 Watches :thumbsup:

The watch definitely the 2 series! I was about to buy a 1st series due to the fact they went on great sale to get rid of them but when I heard they were faster and you can swim with them definitely waiting for the next one

Sponsored

lemers

Globetrotter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
I've already lost my wireless headphones

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
The watch definitely the 2 series! I was about to buy a 1st series due to the fact they went on great sale to get rid of them but when I heard they were faster and you can swim with them definitely waiting for the next one
FYI, the "original" Apple Watch isn't even the Series 1 (myself and a few bloggers have started calling it the Series 0). Apple developed the new Watch that's waterproof, has onboard GPS, a dual core CPU, but then they revised the original to include the dual core CPU.

So the cheaper Series 1 is actually better than the original!

Hahaha, I'm sure that will put the resale value on my Series 0 in the crapper ...

:lol:

robertwsimpson

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Convertible
I was thinking the same thing! The original is now pretty much worthless... unless some fanboy who is a bigger fanboy than I am just wants to have the original apple watch...

I always knew that I was buying something that would eventually be worthless though, and for me, the original still works just fine, so I'll keep wearing it.

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
I was thinking the same thing! The original is now pretty much worthless... unless some fanboy who is a bigger fanboy than I am just wants to have the original apple watch...

I always knew that I was buying something that would eventually be worthless though, and for me, the original still works just fine, so I'll keep wearing it.
Yeah, I'm OK with it, sometimes there's a little extra cost in being an early adopter, but we got to own ours for like 16 months and enjoyed the heck out of them.

I just saw a guy sell an original 42mm for $210 shipped, that's a good $110 cheaper than a Series 1, so there's some value in the used market. I'll probably sell mine, and keep the wife's for a development device/backup.

:cheers:

Sponsored

robertwsimpson

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Convertible
I'm just going to buy a new band and call it a day.

I'm most happy that developers are creating complications now. Something as simple as airline data on the watch face is super helpful to me... Can't wait to see what else comes out. Apps are too fiddly for me currently, but complications are lovely.

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
I actually started one for tide information (it's something super important for us beach folks), I haven't been back in that code, but figured it would be handy right on a watch face!

BTW, I scored some of those adapters that let you use any band and they're been terrific, I had a box full of neat bands that had been unused for years, and for ~$10-a-band, it was well worth it.

Here's an old leather cuff I had:

image-jpeg.jpg

OP
OP
Tems

Tems

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 DIB Mustang
FYI, the "original" Apple Watch isn't even the Series 1 (myself and a few bloggers have started calling it the Series 0). Apple developed the new Watch that's waterproof, has onboard GPS, a dual core CPU, but then they revised the original to include the dual core CPU.

So the cheaper Series 1 is actually better than the original!

Hahaha, I'm sure that will put the resale value on my Series 0 in the crapper ...

:lol:
My bad, ment series 0 lol

OP
OP
Tems

Tems

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 DIB Mustang
I actually started one for tide information (it's something super important for us beach folks), I haven't been back in that code, but figured it would be handy right on a watch face!

BTW, I scored some of those adapters that let you use any band and they're been terrific, I had a box full of neat bands that had been unused for years, and for ~$10-a-band, it was well worth it.

Here's an old leather cuff I had:

image-jpeg.jpg
Agreed, looks very nice with that band!
Sponsored