Intake Manifold Failure!

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Cost is right, $1750 out the door is ridiculous for a CAI, .3in increase in throttle body diameter and some taller runners.

It’s the game I have to play as a CA resident unfortunately.

The vendor I bought from is back ordered until the 30th. I have time to sit and evaluate this purchase in the meantime.

Truthfully I’d go all in on an ESS set up OR just lock the IMRC out if smog wasn’t an issue here but oh well.
Yeah, it's a silly price. But at least you won't be disappointed once it's on there lol.

I paid $1200 for my gen 3 FP kit and am currently not using it due to the sub par fuel in my area. If there was a similar PP3 option for my car I'd absolutely get it. The improvement in throttle response and rev hang on the FP tunes is top notch.
Sponsored

OP
OP

17MagMetal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
17 Mustang GT, 07 Ford Taurus SE, 95 F250 Xlt
Yeah, it's a silly price. But at least you won't be disappointed once it's on there lol.

I paid $1200 for my gen 3 FP kit and am currently not using it due to the sub par fuel in my area. If there was a similar PP3 option for my car I'd absolutely get it. The improvement in throttle response and rev hang on the FP tunes is top notch.

I’m looking forward to it.

The PP2 for the Gen 2 was the winner in my head.

Have you heard about any exhaust note/noise changes? I’m going to pretty enthusiastic about the install if things get a little more burbly.

Besides horsepower all the extra noise from the induction is going to be great. This is my weekend fun toy that is getting pretty obnoxious for regular street driving (I’ve replaced a lot of the suspension rubber with spherical bearings/locked bushings out with BMR/Steeda options). So I’m all for all the extra NVH at this point.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
I’m looking forward to it.

The PP2 for the Gen 2 was the winner in my head.

Have you heard about any exhaust note/noise changes? I’m going to pretty enthusiastic about the install if things get a little more burbly.

Besides horsepower all the extra noise from the induction is going to be great. This is my weekend fun toy that is getting pretty obnoxious for regular street driving (I’ve replaced a lot of the suspension rubber with spherical bearings/locked bushings out with BMR/Steeda options). So I’m all for all the extra NVH at this point.
Depends where you live. At altitude I got less pops than stock. When I last drove to sea level I got tons lol

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
Happy to do so, can you offer some more context about this issue?

Is this pre-detonation? Is it well known/documented?

Are you suggesting that the PP3 be stayed away from?
it is a hit or miss with power packs that is true for gen1 and 2. Either you do not have pinging and then there's nothing to worry about or you have it and there likely nothing that could be done about it. You can ride your car conservatively and there will be no pinging, but then what is the point.

Especialy bad in areas with no 93.

I'm frtom CA just like you and me and at leasdt one more CA board member with PP2 has knock. At the same time I know one other CA member that lives nrearby with no knock. I've participated at HPDE event with another mustang pp3 guy and his car did not detonate.

It is not clear what causes it and how to get rid of one. I did not hear of any particular power pack (1, 2 or 3) being immune to detonation.

I tried colder spark plugs with no success. Checked my intake system for leaks with smoke generator - no leaks in OEM or PP2 confguration. Used boostane - very little help. Oil catch cans - I connected 2 of them sequentially - no help. I swapped MAF sensdor, no help. I tried different brands of gas. Fuel system cleaners. I probably did other things I do not remember.

At the same time no pinging in wet misty weather. Also I experimented with gen1 pp advice to replace pcv system with breathers - I did not hear detonation for a couple of days driving. But it smells and there will be oil under the hood.

P.S. I recently reverted back to OEM exhaust. May be I could give pp2 another try... just for kicks.

Sponsored

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
At the same time no pinging in wet misty weather. Also I experimented with gen1 pp advice to replace pcv system with breathers - I did not hear detonation for a couple of days driving. But it smells and there will be oil under the hood.
This tells me your rings are worn or cylinders are scored.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
it is a hit or miss with power packs that is true for gen1 and 2. Either you do not have pinging and then there's nothing to worry about or you have it and there likely nothing that could be done about it. You can ride your car conservatively and there will be no pinging, but then what is the point.

Especialy bad in areas with no 93.

I'm frtom CA just like you and me and at leasdt one more CA board member with PP2 has knock. At the same time I know one other CA member that lives nrearby with no knock. I've participated at HPDE event with another mustang pp3 guy and his car did not detonate.

It is not clear what causes it and how to get rid of one. I did not hear of any particular power pack (1, 2 or 3) being immune to detonation.

I tried colder spark plugs with no success. Checked my intake system for leaks with smoke generator - no leaks in OEM or PP2 confguration. Used boostane - very little help. Oil catch cans - I connected 2 of them sequentially - no help. I swapped MAF sensdor, no help. I tried different brands of gas. Fuel system cleaners. I probably did other things I do not remember.

PP3 doesn't add any torque in the low end of the curve unlike PP1 and PP2, so the chances of getting audible knock are extremely low.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
PP3 doesn't add any torque in the low end of the curve unlike PP1 and PP2, so the chances of getting audible knock are extremely low.
The graphs I've seen show PP3 making more power everywhere

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
You said with breathers it stops knocking. This tells me oil is the cause. Might just be an unlucky car that lets more oil into the PCV system than others.

Sponsored

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
The graphs I've seen show PP3 making more power everywhere
Oh for sure it does, but it doesn't attempt to add like 20+ft/lbs at 2,000RPM through timing adjustments. But I could be wrong, I haven't looked into it in quite a while

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
You said with breathers it stops knocking. This tells me oil is the cause. Might just be an unlucky car that lets more oil into the PCV system than others.
would such car consume oil?

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
would such car consume oil?
Might not be enough to see depending on how often you change it.
One other possibility is a faulty PCV valve that is letting unmetered air into the manifold. Could be bad seals in the PCV hoses ect....

OP
OP

17MagMetal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
17 Mustang GT, 07 Ford Taurus SE, 95 F250 Xlt
Oh for sure it does, but it doesn't attempt to add like 20+ft/lbs at 2,000RPM through timing adjustments. But I could be wrong, I haven't looked into it in quite a while

Agreed, from what I’ve seen PP3 gets you a bit of gains from stock under 4k RPM, but less than PP1/2 in that range.

It’s, as expected, supposed to scream beyond that.

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
Might not be enough to see depending on how often you change it.
One other possibility is a faulty PCV valve that is letting unmetered air into the manifold. Could be bad seals in the PCV hoses ect....
oh yes, forgot to mention I've replaced PCV valve as well just in case. No difference. And when I tested my intake system with a smoke machine that included PCV fittings as well. No leaks.

My oil catch can does not collect much oil. I do not emty it until I replace oil. And I replave oil when indicator suggests 30% or less oil life left.
Sponsored