Sponsored

(Install with Pics) Bluetooth Ethanol Sensor

OneFordGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT
Hey guys, right now I have a Lund 93 Tune and plan on getting a Flex Fuel Tune from them this Spring and while this is not necessary to know, I want to know exactly what ethanol % is in my tank in real time. I spoke to another forum member who made his own setup because he sometimes runs a straight E85 race tune and needs to know when its safe to switch to it, I planned on copying his setup until I found a company online who made a kit for the coyote. My car is a 2016 GT manual transmission, my only mods are Kooks Long Tubes (off road) and JLT cai. I found a lot of threads of people wanting a sensor setup like this so that's why I am sharing this. Lets get to it!

First off, this is the kit. You get everything you need to install the sensor. All you need are basic hand tools and rubber gloves (to keep fuel off hands).

After removing the engine cover and disconnecting the battery, the first thing I did was unhook the rubber fuel supply from the fuel rail, I did this by squeezing the blue clip and pulling the hose off. A small amount of fuel leaked out but nothing sprayed as my car has been sitting for about a month and most of the fuel pressure bled off.
The kits fuel line connectors use these cam style fasteners, you use 1/2" and 5/8" wrenches to twist them together, they're pretty nice and they seal really well.
Kit comes with some lube to put on the male side of fitting to help them fit together since the tolerances are tight.
Once the first section of fuel line is installed it will look like this. I went ahead and put the ethanol sensor on the fuel line as well.
Next you pull the factory rubber hose off the metal firewall fitting.
After you have the factory rubber fuel hose completely off you can push the other supplied fuel line on the ethanol sensor and then connect the hose to the metal fire wall fitting. The kit includes a new PEX crimp ring, I didn't have the tool needed to crimp it but after looking online for alternative tools I ended up using the wire cutter part of needle nose pliers to crimp it tight. Once you have the fuel hardware all connected you just plug the wiring harness into the sensor. I ran the wire up by the rear cowl strut brace and underneath the black plastic cowling, all you have to do is pull the plastic push fasteners out and the cowling comes loose. You can see where to lay the wire once you look under the plastic. The photo with the red mark is the path I used to run to the battery.
I connected the power cable directly to the battery, I've read that the bluetooth transmitters don't use much energy and shouldn't drain the battery, you can connect to a fuse that powers with the key if you want. There's enough room in the battery box to store the extra wiring and bluetooth transmitter. Without knowing I have the kit installed there's nothing that normal people would see out of place with this. It looks factory on the fuel line. Below are some more images of what I've described. The engine cover can be placed back on and the sensor does not interfere with it at all, its a perfect fit.
LASTLY, download the app and press connect. BAM, real time ethanol content! There's a 0-5v output wire (white) that can used with your tuner if you want to utilize on the fly ethanol content tuning. I just want to know what the ethanol percentage is so I did not hook it up. The app and transmitter connect instantly and you can view the ethanol content in seconds. It's cold here in Ohio so it will be a good month or two before I get my car out and run this Shell 93 gas out of the tank, I was surprised it was E9, I was expecting E10-15. My car's AFR is idling around 14.1-14.3 so E9 looks to be correct.
I just want to to pass this information along since I know there are a lot of people who have been asking for this same kit.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
Whoa very cool! Sweet.

Did Lund adjust your tune at all with this new sensor? Is it still using the O2 sensors to infer ethanol content?

OP
OP
OneFordGT

OneFordGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT
Whoa very cool! Sweet.

Did Lund adjust your tune at all with this new sensor? Is it still using the O2 sensors to infer ethanol content?
The Flex Fuel Tune uses the O2 sensors still, I wanted this so I could check the ethanol content and AFR to make sure it's locked on and to see which stations are pumping the best or most consistent E85 without getting my hands dirty. I use an X4 so I can't just look at a gauge in my car and see the estimated ethanol content is like the ngauge displays.

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
The Flex Fuel Tune uses the O2 sensors still, I wanted this so I could check the ethanol content and AFR to make sure it's locked on and to see which stations are pumping the best or most consistent E85 without getting my hands dirty. I use an X4 so I can't just look at a gauge in my car and see the estimated ethanol content is like the ngauge displays.
Very cool. Sweet! Great job doing this. I could see a lot people doing this for extra peace of mind.

OP
OP
OneFordGT

OneFordGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT
Just a little update, I flashed my Lund Flex tune this morning and went to the closest gas station with E85, pumped 14.5 gallons of their “E85” which said “51%-83% ethanol” and after about a minute or so the sensor started to climb and as the ethanol percentage went up I could see the afr go down like it was supposed to.
Then when I saw the afr get close to the ethanol sensors reading I knew the tune was close to being locked in.
0E96B6A5-B183-4BCD-B6C3-9543FAE04F05.png

Sponsored

SAY WHAT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang Gt
just curious do you also have a lund n gauge? I wonder how close the n gauge can learn it as opposed to actually having a sensor.

OP
OP
OneFordGT

OneFordGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT
Unfortunately not, I’m using a X4 and wish I would’ve opted for the ngauge instead. When I was messaging another user about his homemade ethanol sensor setup on his GT350, he connected the 5v (white wire) from the sensor to the analog input on his ngauge to watch in real time. You could make your own kit like I was planning to do but when I came across this kit I was in awe with how easy the Bluetooth made it.

SAY WHAT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang Gt
Interesting I didn't know you could add another signal to the ngauge. Do you think you can get this person to chime in or ask him how close the ngauge guessed the ethanol vs the homemade sensor?

OP
OP
OneFordGT

OneFordGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT
Interesting I didn't know you could add another signal to the ngauge. Do you think you can get this person to chime in or ask him how close the ngauge guessed the ethanol vs the homemade sensor?
Good idea, I went back and found the thread & posts from where he posted his pic and he discusses the ngauge wideband reading vs the sensors actual reading. Pics are on page 2, page 3 has his findings. https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/who-is-running-e85-from-lund.108781/page-3

Sponsored

Dr. Norts

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race Red Mustang GT
Link to this awesome item?

What's it cost?

Any idea if it's Bluetooth 3.0 or 4.0?

OP
OP
OneFordGT

OneFordGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT
Has anybody installed this with a whipple?
Not that I know of. You can order their Bluetooth sensor and put it inline with your fuel line and as long as you can get it to power you’re set. I’m still very happy with mine, just surpassed E75 and was able to load my Lund E85R tune. Love the extra timing in lower rpm’s. It’s just great to know what ethanol percentage I’m at all the time and not having to get my hands dirty.
A18A228C-57BE-4256-83FA-822B4980AF9F.png
Sponsored