Install aftermarket subs in trunk Base model GT

Muhnopoly

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2020 mustang gt
If anyone can point me in the direction of the post that might answer this question then thanks! Because I can't find one haha.

So 2020 GT with touch screen Navi and standard speaker set up so no sub in the trunk....yet!

I want to install 2x 12" subs in a box in the trunk facing the cabin since I'm gonna do a rear seat delete eventually, already picked out the subs and Amp and box but don't know exactly how to wire it.

I obviously know to wire the Amp power cord from the battery, through the gromet to the inside of the car and down the passenger side to the trunk area but what do I do from there?
Pictures would be amazing of the connectors/wires that I'm suppose to tap into.

All other tips and tricks and advice are appreciated as well!
Sponsored

OP
OP
Muhnopoly

Muhnopoly

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2020 mustang gt
Bump need some help.
This is the Amp I'm going to get
NVX VADM2 440W RMS Full Range
And I'll be getting 2x 12inch subs

Evolvd

Instigator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
The pinned thread in here has a ton of info to include wiring diagrams and parts. You’ll most likely want the Maestro AF03 harness to tap your wiring.

Cathul

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
If you only want to add a subwoofer the AFO3 harness is not the right one to get as you will loose your stock amp without major modification of the harness.

Get one of these if available (or similar ones that are available where you live):
- CARAV 12-240
- Musway MPK6
- Helix Match PP-AC 74

and as RCA adapter f.e. the Rockford Fosgate RFIF2SW

Solder the Rockford adapter to the wires of the adapter that carry the front signal and go from there to your subamp.
The adapter plugs right into behind the ACM in the dash. This way it's almost plug'n'play and you don't need to cut any wires of the Mustang.
If your sub has remote turn on through signal sense then you're set.
Otherwise need to get remote turn on from somewhere, but i don't know the correct wire atm for the 2020 GT with base speakers (i assume it's the 6-speaker system).

Evolvd

Instigator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
If you only want to add a subwoofer the AFO3 harness is not the right one to get as you will loose your stock amp without major modification of the harness.

Get one of these if available (or similar ones that are available where you live):
- CARAV 12-240
- Musway MPK6
- Helix Match PP-AC 74

and as RCA adapter f.e. the Rockford Fosgate RFIF2SW

Solder the Rockford adapter to the wires of the adapter that carry the front signal and go from there to your subamp.
The adapter plugs right into behind the ACM in the dash. This way it's almost plug'n'play and you don't need to cut any wires of the Mustang.
If your sub has remote turn on through signal sense then you're set.
Otherwise need to get remote turn on from somewhere, but i don't know the correct wire atm for the 2020 GT with base speakers (i assume it's the 6-speaker system).
You right lol I incorrectly assumed he was doing a full build hence my recommendation.

Sponsored

DrZed

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cam
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT PP1 M6
I just did this, 2021 nav screen (and sync3).

1) Remove battery box (easy). 4 gauge power wire under the battery box, down through a small trap door and into the passenger footwell grommet. You will need to remove your passenger wheel well liner.

2) You'll figure out quickly how to pull up the trim along the door. The rear seats come out by small clips under them near the floor, if I recall. The power wire will get into the trunk through there.

3) I used a bolt to create a ground for the 4ga in the upper cargo shelf. Used sandpaper to scape to metal for a nice seal and a lock washer.

4) By the rear speaker in the trunk there is a wiring harness there where you will tap the rear speaker line levels and power wire.

NOTES:

1) Use these to tap into the rear speakers. The gauge is like 18-20, they are super small... these will make your life easier: https://www.amazon.ca/s?k=posi-tap&ref=nb_sb_noss_2

2) I disconnected my A pillar tweeters and center channel (for now) and only also added 3.5" Hertz 92db speakers with (Hertz 87.3) and 600Hz bass blockers (the dB roll off works better than 150 Hz ones). INCREDIBLE undistorted sound. Only adding two speakers. The rest are stock.... you'll be surprised.

3) Here is a good thread: https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...er-upgrade-2016-eu-ind-spec-mustang-gt.83663/

4) Forscan to remove factory EQ: https://ohptools.com/blogs/news/how-to-disable-factory-equalizer-on-ford-mustang-with-forscan

Cathul

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
Do not tap speakers if there are adapters to use, please.
Sponsored