Sponsored

Informal Survey: Who in here is signed up/using Ford Pass?

Garfy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT, 2012 Honda Fit Sport
I honestly don’t know, but it makes sense that it would likely hold/show the last registered pressures. I can say from my experience that when performing a seasonal tire change the ‘just-installed’ assemblies the TOMSs need a good ride around the block to wake them up, but, I am referring to what is likely previous generation sensors that needed to be re-matched to the vehicle.
Yes, the pressure readings on the app is from the last time you drove the car as they don't send new data packets while motionless in your garage. Even when driving, the sensors only periodically transmit data unless there's a sudden change in pressure in which case it immediately transmits a data packet. I know this because when my Honda hit a bad pothole that blew out the sidewall, the TPMS light immediately came on and I felt a definite pull to the side of the blown tire. Even current sensors (for my 2020) requires programming the ID into the computer if you replace them. When you rotate the tires, you need to reprogram the position of the sensors otherwise the pressure reading will be in error for the particular position. Frankly I was surprised that the dealer tech actually did that when they rotated my tires (I note down the IDs and location and after the rotation found that the positions changed; I have a TPMS tool that can activate and read the sensor ID, battery status, pressure, etc.) BTW, the sensors may or may not be accurate in that they could vary by a pound or more which is why the manual tells you to not rely on the readings as the actual pressure, but to check them with an accurate tire gauge.

Bullittproof

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang GT Premium Fastback - Race Red !
Understood, Garfy, I have been relying on an accurate analog gauge with a cloth-covered hose, I guess the app is only okay for detecting a failure that would cause further damage without its early detection, but isn’t a substitute for accurate ‘hands-on’ readings.

TonyNJ

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
22 GT500HE Black Stripes, 20 GT350HE, 16 GT350R Ba
Short of being a tinfoil hat wearer (apologies to any tinfoil hat wearers) you're not getting tracked by fordpass anymore than you were by your phone, this (or any) website, etc.

I used my 40k fordpass points from my Mustang (and my Bronco) to pay for the 8 year (I think) extended factory warranty
Yea. I'm sitting on a grip of points from over the years. Probably should do what you did with them.

I like the app for starting and unlocking the car and seeing its location and battery life, etc.

Screenshot_20230125_144032_FordPass.jpg

Sponsored

Buldawg76

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Ecoboost, Rapid Red Premium
I rotate my own tires and can also confirm that the TPMS for tire location does not need reprogrammed on any ford product. I have had 4 different fords and never had any issue or seen a tech reprogram for a tire rotation.

BD

Johnnybee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 convertible
I rotate my own tires and can also confirm that the TPMS for tire location does not need reprogrammed on any ford product. I have had 4 different fords and never had any issue or seen a tech reprogram for a tire rotation.

BD
That has been my experience as well, with OEM sensors. When I swap to the winter rubber it takes a bit of time, but they connect without me doing anything, and both sets get rotated each time they are installed.

RacingRoger

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Douglas
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln MKZ, F-150 Lariat. Future: G6 Mustang GT
Interesting thread. But I didn't see any comments on something I'm wondering about...
I don't think Apple or T-Mobile or (insert tech co here) is going to run to Ford and say "We have data that the car is being"abused".
However, if I go in to Ford for warranty work, what are the chances that Ford is going to say, "Herr RacingRoger, Ve see dat you hast been operating your vehickle in a most unacceptable manner; derefore ze warranty work vill be DENIED."
In all actuality, what are the chances Ford, based on FordPass data, will use it against me?
Or you?

Buldawg76

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Interesting thread. But I didn't see any comments on something I'm wondering about...
I don't think Apple or T-Mobile or (insert tech co here) is going to run to Ford and say "We have data that the car is being"abused".
However, if I go in to Ford for warranty work, what are the chances that Ford is going to say, "Herr RacingRoger, Ve see dat you hast been operating your vehickle in a most unacceptable manner; derefore ze warranty work vill be DENIED."
In all actuality, what are the chances Ford, based on FordPass data, will use it against me?
Or you?
Thats a good question but I don't think it will be from any info they get from the ford pass app but rather from the telematics module in the trunk of our cars that ford uses to collect and data mine our info to sell to third party marketers.

Ford and all vehicle manufacturers in today's world have telematics modules in them that transmit loads of GPS and tons of other data back to them for all sorts of purposes.

It all part of the technological world we live in now. Big brother is always watching.

BD

AMC401V8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT - 2000 Excursion - 1987 Swift DB2
I do not have a Fordpass account and the fuse for the telematics system is removed. Everyone gets to choose how they handle the situation and make the decision that makes them most comfortable.

I don't daily drive my car. The location of my car and my phone are two separate issues. If the location and speed of my phone were being tracked, it would likely have nothing to do with my Mustang.

Nonetheless, my car is ghost as far as data being sent to Ford or anyone else. By choice. I'm obviously missing out on the benefits that Fordpass provides but this was the decision that I'm most comfortable with.

I'm not here to argue the benefits of one over the other. The most important thing is that you get to make the decision on your own, nobody gets to make the decision for you. Whatever you decide I hope it turns out best for you.

Sponsored

Buldawg76

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
I do not have a Fordpass account and the fuse for the telematics system is removed. Everyone gets to choose how they handle the situation and make the decision that makes them most comfortable.

I don't daily drive my car. The location of my car and my phone are two separate issues. If the location and speed of my phone were being tracked, it would likely have nothing to do with my Mustang.

Nonetheless, my car is ghost as far as data being sent to Ford or anyone else. By choice. I'm obviously missing out on the benefits that Fordpass provides but this was the decision that I'm most comfortable with.

I'm not here to argue the benefits of one over the other. The most important thing is that you get to make the decision on your own, nobody gets to make the decision for you. Whatever you decide I hope it turns out best for you.
There is a thread on here about the telematics fuse/module and it is somewhat undecided if just pulling the fuse is enough to disable the system or if the module connector also needs to be disconnected.

In today's world you are on camera or satellite imagery almost everywhere you go any way.

I do agree it should be up to the owners as to when and if ford can data mine your info.

BD

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
This is just a PSA for those concerned about what FordPass collects and shares. Personally I do give a sh-t but certainly agree that everyone should have a choice.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2. Privacy Policy
The FordPass Privacy Policy supplements the Ford Motor Company Privacy Policy located at https://www.ford.com/help/privacy/, which further describes categories of personal information, including Connected Vehicle Information collected, sources and uses, and California privacy rights of California residents as of January 1, 2020. These Policies will help you understand what personal information we collect from certain FordPass webpages located on owner.ford.com and the FordPass mobile app (collectively referenced herein as “FordPass”, “site”, “website” and “FordPass mobile app”), why we collect it, and how it is used or shared. FordPass may integrate with other services or features that are subject to different privacy policies as described in connection with those services or features. Please review those privacy policies to understand how they collect and use data.

FordPass Mobile App
This Privacy Policy incorporates by reference the FordPass mobile app Terms and Conditions.

Information We Collect:
We collect the following types of information through your use of FordPass or third-party services that integrate with FordPass:

• Information you provide to create an account, sign in to an existing account, or use available services such as name, email address, photo, street address, telephone number, credit card, Vehicle Identification Number (VIN), and vehicle service records. You must have an account to use FordPass mobile app and to access certain functionality on the FordPass website.
  • Depending on the vehicle’s equipment, the services/features available in the vehicle, and the settings applicable to those services/features, Connected Vehicle Information including:
    • Vehicle Location: Non-precise or precise location/GPS information, including current vehicle location, travel direction, speed, charging locations used (if applicable), and information about the environment where the vehicle is operated (such as weather, road segment data, trail and road surface conditions and geometry, traffic signs, and other surroundings, may be collected from the vehicle in connection with location-based functions of FordPass. Vehicle Location may also be derived from IP address.
    • Driving Data (may also be referred to as Driving Characteristics and Behavior): Information about how the vehicle is operated and used (such as speed, use of accelerator, brakes, steering, seat belts, etc.).
    • Vehicle Data (may also be referred to as Vehicle Information): Information about the vehicle, its components and parts, including their status and performance and diagnostics of vehicle systems (such as the VIN, hardware model and part numbers, odometer, tire pressure, fuel and fluid levels, battery and lock status, trouble codes, warning indicators, alerts, and SYNC diagnostics), vehicle charging information (if applicable), and other information about how the vehicle is performing.
    • Audio/Visual (may also be referred to as Connected Voice Data, Digital Assistant, or Ford Assistant): Voice commands and other utterances captured when the vehicle’s voice recognition system is in “active listen” state.
Connected Vehicle Information collected through your use of FordPass or third-party services that integrate with FordPass may be associated with a vehicle’s unique identification number (“vehicle identification number” or “VIN”) or other identifiers, and those identifiers may be linked to you.

We may collect Connected Vehicle Information from the vehicle in de-identified form, such that the information cannot reasonably be linked back to you. We may also de-identify Connected Vehicle Information and use it for any purpose in accordance with applicable law.

Certain “Connected Services” (which are services that use Connected Vehicle Information) require connection between your account and the vehicle’s FordPass Connect modem using the FordPass app.

• Mobile Device Location: Precise location information is collected from your mobile device in connection with location-based functions of FordPass. This information includes Global Positioning System (GPS) data and location derived from IP address. This information can be used to determine your device’s current location, travel direction and speed. If you have enabled location services on your device, this data may be collected when the app is running in the foreground or background. We may also derive your approximate location from other device data such as Wi-Fi access points, cell towers, and your IP address, whether location services are on or turned off, through the permission system used by your mobile operating system.
  • Computer or Mobile Device Information, such as software or operating system version, unique device identifiers (for example, serial numbers), IP address, and mobile network information.
  • Information about how you use FordPass or third-party services that integrate with FordPass, such as when and for how long you use features and when you contact us, a record of your communication.
  • FordPass may also use tracking technologies that collect information about how FordPass is used and how it is performing including if it crashes, and which may be able to be connected across devices and over time. These may include cookies (small files that are stored on your computer or device), pixels or web beacons (small pieces of code placed on web pages and content that communicate when the page or content has been viewed), log data (logs created that include IP address, date and time of activity, and the website or location that referred you to FordPass), or third-party analytics tools, such as Adobe Analytics, Aptelligent, and DynaTrace). Some of these technologies can be limited or deactivated through your browser or device settings, but some cannot. FordPass does not respond to “Do-Not-Track” requests.
How We Use Information We Collect:

• We use your personal information — information that reasonably identifies you — to provide you with great functionality and services, allow you to control certain vehicle features, fulfill requests you’ve made in FordPass, make recommendations (if applicable) and personalize your experience, troubleshoot problems, develop new and improved products, services, and marketing strategies and research, to protect safety, property, privacy, and security, or to comply with legal requirements.
  • If you provide us with an email address for forward-to-a-friend functionality, we will use the email solely for the purpose of forwarding to your intended recipient. WE MAY send communications about products, services, offers, promotions, news, and more that are customized based on your personal information, including your location, speed, and driving characteristics.
  • You may choose not to provide certain personal information (such as not entering a VIN to connect to your vehicle or not entering a credit card to use My Wallet services), but this may limit or prevent use of certain features.
  • We may combine the information we collect through your use of FordPass or third-party services that integrate with FordPass with other information you have previously provided or that we have collected from other sources.
  • We may de-identify information we collect about you and use it for any purpose in accordance with applicable law.
How We Share Information:
We do not provide personal information obtained through FordPass to anyone for independent use without providing you a choice, except as follows:

• We may share personal information obtained through FordPass and FordPass Rewards, including vehicle information and information regarding FordPass Rewards, with our authorized dealers and our affiliates (the group of companies related by common control or ownership).
  • We may share information related to the current status of vehicle systems and vehicle health alerts ("Vehicle Health Information") obtained through FordPass with our authorized dealers so they may more conveniently assist in the diagnosis and repair of the vehicle. You can manage your permissions relating to Vehicle Health Information in the Privacy tile of FordPass.
  • We share your personal information with trusted service providers under agreements that limit how they may use your personal information and require adequate safeguards.
  • We may provide personal information to external companies under contract with us to enable delivery of the services and where they are subject to confidentiality and security obligations.
  • We may share your personal information without notice to you where we believe that doing so is reasonably necessary to: comply with a legal requirement or enforceable governmental request; protect and defend our or our affiliates’ rights or property; act under exigent circumstances to protect the personal safety of Ford or affiliate personnel, users of our vehicles, websites or apps, or the public; and detect, prevent, or otherwise address fraud, security, safety, or privacy issues.
  • To provide you with connected navigation services through your in-vehicle infotainment system, we use cloud-based location services provided by Telenav, Inc. (“Telenav”) or Garmin International, Inc (“Garmin”). For SYNC3 connected navigation services, Telenav obtains certain information, including: a unique user ID assigned by Ford, your current GPS location and planned route and/or destination information from your SYNC 3 in-vehicle system or mobile device, your address or point of interest search requests and search results selections, information about your use of the location search service, its performance, and your related actions and selections. Telenav may use this information to provide, improve, and enhance its products and services. For the SYNC4 Connected Navigation or Connected Built-In Navigation services, Telenav or Garmin (depending on vehicle equipment and services used) may receive information including a unique vehicle identifier, the vehicle’s current GPS location, route and/or destination information, address or point of interest search requests, results, and selections.
  • If you chose to provide a profile picture through Remote Vehicle Setup it will be visible when connecting with other FordPass account holders.
  • The first name associated with your FordPass account may be shared with other FordPass account holders, for example, when you request access to other FordPass account holders’ vehicles.
We may share de-identified information in accordance with applicable law. For example, de-identified information about the environment where the vehicle is operated may be shared with third parties.

CALIFORNIA PRIVACY RIGHTS
If you are a California resident and the processing of personal information about you is subject to the CCPA, you have certain rights with respect to that information. Click here to read how you can exercise your rights.

You may also have rights under California’s “Shine the Light”. You can exercise such rights by clicking here.

How to Contact Us, Access, or Control the Use of Your Information: For more information or to request correction or removal of personal information, contact us at:

Telephone
800-392-3673 (U.S.)
800-232-5952 (TDD for the hearing impaired)

Available M-F 8:00 am - 11:00 pm EST
Available Sat. 8:00 am – 8:00 pm EST

Mailing Address
Ford Motor Company
Customer Relationship Center
P.O. Box 6248
Dearborn, MI 48126

Security and Retention of Your Information: We use systems, policies, procedures, and technology to provide reasonable security to protect and maintain the security and accuracy of your information. We will only retain your personal information for so long as reasonably necessary to fulfill legitimate business purposes.

Privacy Policy Effective Date and Revisions: This Privacy Policy may be updated in order to reflect any changes to FordPass or our privacy practices. See the General Information section for effective date and more information.

AMC401V8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT - 2000 Excursion - 1987 Swift DB2
I took delivery of my car in the third quarter of 2020. The "let's get your Fordpass account activated" bullshit started on delivery day. I declined. Removed the telematics fuse 15 minutes later.

On November of 2022 I took the car in for the rear camera recall. This was the first time the car had ever been back to the dealership. Service advisor initially looked confused while looking at the screen and stated that there was zero information collected on the car. I told her that was correct, that the vehicle belonged to me and that all non-warranty maintenance was being performed by me and logged. The car only has 4700 miles.

She then stated that something was not right in her view, that there should be information populated in a specified area in the service software she was utilizing, that she had never seen this area empty and that she would have a tech look into it. I told her that the telematics system on my car was disabled the day of delivery and not to worry about it, as I had disabled it by choice.

The recall was taken care of in about 20 minutes and I drove away. This experience doesn't really "prove" anything at all, it was interesting though.

There is a thread on here about the telematics fuse/module and it is somewhat undecided if just pulling the fuse is enough to disable the system or if the module connector also needs to be disconnected.

BD

Buldawg76

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
I took delivery of my car in the third quarter of 2020. The "let's get your Fordpass account activated" bullshit started on delivery day. I declined. Removed the telematics fuse 15 minutes later.

On November of 2022 I took the car in for the rear camera recall. This was the first time the car had ever been back to the dealership. Service advisor initially looked confused while looking at the screen and stated that there was zero information collected on the car. I told her that was correct, that the vehicle belonged to me and that all non-warranty maintenance was being performed by me and logged. The car only has 4700 miles.

She then stated that something was not right in her view, that there should be information populated in a specified area in the service software she was utilizing, that she had never seen this area empty and that she would have a tech look into it. I told her that the telematics system on my car was disabled the day of delivery and not to worry about it, as I had disabled it by choice.

The recall was taken care of in about 20 minutes and I drove away. This experience doesn't really "prove" anything at all, it was interesting though.
I was not aware that the dealership personnel had any access to that info and most certainly not service dept. I have a good relationship with my dealer so next time I am there I am going to inquire about it.

Good info to know.

BD

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60

What really would have been interesting to know is what the dealer was able to see. Would have loved to see a screenshot of the monitor.
Sponsored