Sponsored

In Search Of.... mid-range torque?

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I was originally thinking of just saving up for an Edelbrock Stage 1 for my 2018 GT MT-82. Now, I'm not so sure I want that kind of investment. So, I sat back with a whiskey and asked myself, "Self, what part of your driving do you really want to make your day better?"
The answer, seems to be midrange torque. This engine just doesn't have a lot of low and mid range torque. So here's my thoughts.

1. I don't want to get a tune, which would eliminate my warranty. So, I was thinking an Injen Cold Air Intake, and a Velossa Tech intake scoop.

2. Couple that with a Steeda H-pipe, and a Steeda axle back set of mufflers.

What, if anything might I notice on my daily drive?

And, would it be remotely worth the investment?
Sponsored

cib24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Mazda RX-7 Type RS
I was originally thinking of just saving up for an Edelbrock Stage 1 for my 2018 GT MT-82. Now, I'm not so sure I want that kind of investment. So, I sat back with a whiskey and asked myself, "Self, what part of your driving do you really want to make your day better?"
The answer, seems to be midrange torque. This engine just doesn't have a lot of low and mid range torque. So here's my thoughts.

1. I don't want to get a tune, which would eliminate my warranty. So, I was thinking an Injen Cold Air Intake, and a Velossa Tech intake scoop.

I'm sorry bud, but what you have recommended on a 2018 GT (and even an earlier car) will do pretty much jack shit except make the car louder. The 2018+ stock intake system is great. If you want to pick up 5 hp add an aftermarket filter and leave it alone.

If you want better mid-range torque and quicker acceleration feel all around the best thing to do is change the final drive gearing. It will feel like you have gained 50hp and have hardly any penalty in fuel economy since the 2018+ manuals are geared so long.

Do you have a Performance Pack car with a Torsen or a base model with the clutch-pack LSD?

Either way, I'd buy this and get it installed. I have just bought these items to help make the car feel torquier, and improve acceleration under 100mph, particularly in 2nd and 3rd:

https://lmr.com/item/M420988409A/mustang-409-gears-15-17-ford-performance-m-4209-88409a

https://performanceparts.ford.com/part/M-4210-B3

TnWHTMARE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang 5.0
Vehicle Showcase
I know you dont want to get a tune but of all the mods I did, Lund E85 tune made the most SOTP difference. Personally, even once I hung LT's on mine, I was even less happy. I'm sure it picked up on the big end but it was much easier to notice the torque loss and responsiveness on the bottom. I could certainly be wrong but I'm not sure there is an easy answer to your dilemma. Once I had the E85R tune on mine, I was very happy with the feel. I have a 19 SS now and that midrange torque punch is certainly an advantage on the the larger displacement 2v engines.

LxMike

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Gt.
Vehicle Showcase
Long tube headers, e-85 and a tune...

cib24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Mazda RX-7 Type RS
Long tube headers, e-85 and a tune...
Good idea but depending on where he is this will cause emissions problems.

If he really wants to stay away from tuning adjusting final drive gearing is the way to go for a more engaging experience with a stock motor.

Sponsored

TnWHTMARE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang 5.0
Vehicle Showcase

What gearset do you have right now?

cib24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Mazda RX-7 Type RS
What gearset do you have right now?
I just took delivery of the Ford Racing T2-R Torsen (the diff that comes standard on your US PP, GT350 and GT500 cars which we don't get here in the EU/UK) and a 4.09 ring and pinion gear set. I'll be swapping those into the car within the next 2 months depending on the weather.

Gearing at 7400 RPM on GT PP wheels/tyres with 2018 MT82-D4 gear ratios

upload_2019-7-4_10-15-56-png-png.png

TnWHTMARE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang 5.0
Vehicle Showcase
I just took delivery of the Ford Racing T2-R Torsen (the diff that comes standard on your US PP, GT350 and GT500 cars which we don't get here in the EU/UK) and a 4.09 ring and pinion gear set. I'll be swapping those into the car within the next 2 months depending on the weather.

Darnit, I dont know how that happened but I meant to ask Condor that...:facepalm: But I do think you are on the right path here. Again, depending on his expectation/preference.

TnWHTMARE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang 5.0
Vehicle Showcase
And, I came from an A10. This is an MT-82 and I personally felt like the manual versions of the Coyote felt more torque deprived than the auto versions. So I'm not sure how applicable my input was.

schmeky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Love the 3.55 in my 2018. Feels pretty good in daily driving.

Sponsored

cib24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Mazda RX-7 Type RS
And, I came from an A10. This is an MT-82 and I personally felt like the manual versions of the Coyote felt more torque deprived than the auto versions. So I'm not sure how applicable my input was.
Yeah, the A10 with 3.55 is very well geared out of the box for maximum acceleration in the first 6 gears.

The MT-82 on the 2015-17 cars had closer ratios but they were revised in 2018+ cars for fuel economy reasons which impacts acceleration and puts them on par with a lower hp 2015-17 manual car, despite more hp out of the box on a 2018+.

To be honest, I would consider running a 4.56 final drive but then it might be a little annoying to run at motorway speeds and that sort of gearing is probably better suited to a GT350 which revs higher than the GT. So, a 4.09 should suffice.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase

4.09 is the way to go with the 2018+ manual.

OP
OP

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
One thing I have noticed is a very slight bit with a drop in AEM filter. Not much, but just a little. I was hoping going with a better intake and a scoop for better flow might help just a teent bit more.

Also, I noticed that the intake hole on the front of the grill is super tiny on mine. I'll take a pic later and post. It just seems like it would be a big help if I cut out the little hexagon holes to get some more dynamic air pressure/flow.

All gears are stock with the MT-82, and 3.55 gears with the base LS diff. To be honest, I really don't want to go that route.... Yet.

I have thought a lot about diff/trans bushings. I've heard they also help. Not sure about the drive shaft though, but I can add it to my list of "what ifs".

Im pretty sure at least an H pipe also helps. Everyone seems to really like it. But what about the Steeda muffs? Are there $475 muffs really that much louder?

cib24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Mazda RX-7 Type RS
Hi @Condor1970 ,

I think we've already told you that modifying the intake is a waste of time. Opening up the grill openings is also pointless for a 1% difference. When the car is at speed so much air is being forced in through the openings in the front bumper that there is plenty of air for the intake to capture and suck into the engine.

Diff and trans bushings will make jack all difference to the mid-range torque you desire. All they will do is cause more noise and vibration in the car and make you hate driving it. Believe me, I had trans and diff bushings on my RX-7s and that was fucking bullshit to try to drive around with Swapped back to rubber and poly very shortly afterwards.

The H pipe and Steeda mufflers won't make anymore power. The stock system flows very well and if you have the active exhaust why would you change it except for the noise? It will do nothing for mid-range torque.

If you aren't willing to change out the final drive gear ratios then just leave the car alone until you can throw a supercharger on it.

I'm just trying to help but it's as if you have asked a question and not listened at all and still think tinkering with the front grille, creating a duct or putting a different mid pipe on the car is going to change anything, and now you are talking about trans and diff bushings which have nothing to do with mid-range torque.
Sponsored